Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have You Lost Your Marbles Over Marbles

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by brigrat, Apr 12, 2019.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Just picked these jars of Marbles up from an elderly man at a garage sale for 5 bucks. Anyone know how to value them or are the jars worth more than the Marbles?
    DSCF9989.JPG DSCF9990.JPG DSCF9991.JPG DSCF9992.JPG DSCF9993.JPG DSCF9994.JPG DSCF9995.JPG DSCF9996.JPG DSCF9997.JPG

2. F&J

F&J

Antique stores near my home sell them in unusual jars or vases as décor. They often do patterns/layers of color in the glass jar, and some use mostly one main color theme for people who want a certain color for a room. Most sit in a window to catch the sun.

They don't sell anywhere near that cheap in those shops.

People "see" different things in each jar... I like the 3rd pic... it looks like Planets. :)

Deuces and brigrat like this.
  3. I like the back ground in 2 and 4. What a Beautiful view. The marbles are cool too.

Deuces, brigrat and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. I like to turn them into candle holders. The ladies love 'em, say that they are romantic.:D;) 20190412_214201.jpg

5. unklgriz

unklgriz

A lot of the older marbles will glow when you shine a black light on them in the dark. As to the value I'm not sure where to send you on that.

Larry

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It has to be like everything else, there could be a Deuce 3/W in there somewhere!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D You might try your favorite search engine and type in"marble collectors"or something similar.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

brigrat likes this.
  8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I wish I'd run across that deal, even if they're new (or newer). No idea of
    the value, but then, I don't buy with value in mind, I buy because I like.
    In my area if things are older than six days they're considered rare, collectible
    or antique, making them expensive. No matter what the item is.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Okie Pete, Deuces and brigrat like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Rare ones are very expensive.

Alittle story.

My grandparents lived two blocks down the road from us in a small village when I was a toad.
    My grandfather was an avid gardener and lived in a big home. He used to find thousands of marbles plowing and digging in his veggie garden. Would collect them in mason jars.
    He’d give them to us kids who would use them for marble games and slingshot ammunition.
    I bet I lost thousands.
    Later in life I find out he lived in a renovated marble factory in Navarre Ohio and those marbles are very rare and expensive. Yikes!!!
    My brother was smart enough to save a few jars of them.

http://www.landofmarbles.com/phpbb/showthread.php?20985-Navarre

http://www.refinerofgold.com/marbles/glass/machine.html

10. *JW*

*JW*

11. Lotta Aggie’s there !

You would have to goggle to get an answer.
    But I know some older hand made marbles can be worth quite a bundle.
    I’ve bough a few jars of marbles at farm auctions and sales.
    Don’t care about value, just like lookin st them.

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

My 10 year old grandson will probably end up with them so my thought on the "value thing" was he probably won't miss the more "valued" ones if there were any..................................

Okie Pete, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Their are basically two classes of glass marbles. Handmade that were cut off a cane of glass or machine made. The handmade can be identified by a twist on one or both ends. Big difference in values.... ACF16884-F42A-4027-9965-F13B0BA22FD0.jpeg

14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the ones in rattle paint cans :rolleyes:

Bleach, Deuces, Big A and 2 others like this.
  15. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Cool find..I remember as a kid we would use them in slingshots. Hurt like hell if you got hit by one. I remember my grandpa had a huge collection but mom threw them away when she cleaned out the basement after he passed.

Okie Pete, Deuces and brigrat like this.
  16. I use to have hundreds of green & clear Fiberglas marbles, these were used to make fiberglass strand in manufacturing, we had a huge plant here and my uncle worked there and kept all the kids pockets full of marbles.

We had so many we used them for slingshot ammunition too.

I still have a few real marbles at home in a jar. HRP

Deuces, Okie Pete and brigrat like this.
  17. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1188.JPG Some old marbles I have found , some are fired clay .

18. unklgriz

unklgriz

Those clay marbles are pretty cool. We have a few of those. My wife has been collecting marbles for years. One thin we did find out with the clay marbles is there has been a major influx of fake ones lately (what hasn't). You can usually tell by their weight, the newer ones are lighter due to the type of clay that they use compared to the good old ones.

We had a collector stop by our house during one of our yard sales a few years back and bought some of the older ones we had. He is the one that showed us to use the black light to find out which ones had Uranium in them. He told us of one marble that went for 10k at a marble convention a few years ago.

Deuces and Okie Pete like this.
  19. Yep, I started collecting the ones out of rattle cans a few years ago. Not really sure why actually, just one of those things I do that drives my wife crazy.

My brother is a hoarder, he's got tons of marbles, old, new, some rare but mostly not. He lost his own years ago, so I guess he needs to collect other people's. :rolleyes:

20. Vendome

Vendome

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

22. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

Where in the world hot rodders play marbles ?

23. I find marbles all the time. I like them. There are some I keep in my toolbox. Makes me grin to see them

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Some of the clay marbles are referred to as "Bennys", short for Benningtons. I believe they were made in England. Some may also have been painted originally.

25. That's years before we were hot rodders! Where YOU been?:rolleyes:

26. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Tennessee and Kentucky still have roley hole tournaments and other marble games

Deuces likes this.
  27. raymay

raymay

Still adding to my collection of Rattlecan Marbles.

20191116_201134.jpg

Deuces, Okie Pete and brigrat like this.
  28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had tons and tons , most of mine left hitting them from a Johnny Bench signed bat . Marbles and bat are long gone today , just a memory . Stupid Kid !

Okie Pete likes this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Most people played with marbles when they were kids, but some enjoy collecting them even in older age. Judging by the prices for some pieces, it is a serious hobby nowadays. These cute round toys were made of stone in ancient times, but you can typically find those produced of glass, agate, and clay on the current market.

We used to get a bag of marbles at the local neighborhood market. At first, they were good for slingshots in the open fields behind our house. But as we started playing marbles games, the value of a bag of marbles was the prize. Little kids challenging others to play a marbles game with the prize being a bag of marbles. When the tension was evident, the player’s prized shooter was also thrown in as a means of confidence.

I had two shooters. One was a blue agate which looked nice, but was not my favorite. The tan/gold striped agate shooter was my favorite and in all of the games played from 1953 to junior high school, it remained undefeated. In Junior H.S. it was not a bag of marbles but cigarettes, cokes after school and even a cheeseburger as a prize. By the end of the 7th grade, all marbles went into a bag and given to our cousins, who were years younger and now were into marbles games.

Recently, my wife and I went to our safe deposit box to put in the latest saved files/photos on an extended portable hard drive 4 tb large. (It is half full) it is small enough and the small box had plenty of space for other stuff. But, we sat there and filtered out what was in there and eliminated those old receipts as well as documents we no longer need. There was a stack of them. In our time filtering the items, out rolls a nice tan/gold Agate marble from 1953.
    upload_2023-4-20_11-42-33.png
    Ahhh, it was my favorite one from my championship year during the 5th grade adventures. Wow, it was like old home week in Long Beach so long ago. It was still in excellent shape and yes, I did shoot it across the table into a corner. It felt like it was 1953 all over again. Ha! What an old guy memory.

Jnaki

We played a series of games, from the knock them out circle border game, 4 holes game, and a chase to two holes game for an overall score. My 5th grade year victories, plus the 4th grade teacher’s support turned me around to do better in school. The 5th grade was the topper class. An intelligent man name Mr. Gianutious from Italy, but born in America was an excellent teacher and a rarity, a male teacher in elementary school! Everyone wanted to be in his class.

My wife asked me how I got so good as a marbles player. We had a huge fenced in yard when we first moved to a real house in the far reaches of the Westside of Long Beach.
    upload_2023-4-20_11-43-45.png
    In the backyard, my mom allowed me to carve out a flat dirt area, just for my own space. But, in it, I made a series of marbles game playing areas. The circle game could be outside in the dirt, which the games usually were. Or a large circular string laid out on a flat rug for indoor games. But the dirt area had two holes and a four hole game playing area. I spent plenty of hours daily shooting my marbles in those various games.

Here is what was my next favorite shooter, but it is now gone, after I gave it to my brother in 1954. He probably had a bag or two to give to his two sons.
    upload_2023-4-20_11-45-8.png I had a couple of these, but they stood out too much in a game of chase and the circle game. These old memories flashed back with one look and feel of that tan/gold Agate marble. Now, it will continue to rest in the safe deposit box for our family generations in the future.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You never see's to amaze me with your writing & knowledge! " I am Butch" was the same way! Thanks!

jnaki and Deuces like this.