Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Have you ever used a Dwell Meter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rex_A_Lott, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This may be OT, but it's kind of related. At least one university, may be Georgia Tech, I'm not sure, but they do have a class on vacuum tube electronics technology. The professor that teaches the course posts ocassionally in a facebook tube amplifier group I'm in. Fully understanding vacuum tube electronics is probably at least as difficult, or more, than understanding modern digital electronics. Pick up an RCA Radio handbook and find out what I mean.

2. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

upload_2022-9-22_9-32-26.png upload_2022-9-22_9-32-26.png

Attached Files:

Rex_A_Lott, rod1 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  3. saltracer219

saltracer219

It's too bad that you don't at least touch on it, they will, at some point in their career most likely be exposed to dealing with it.

Rex_A_Lott, rod1, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thinking that it has been 48 years since the last V8 Chevrolet rolled out of the factory with points I can see why a lot of the younger guys have never used a dwell meter. I still have the one I bought in high school plus a bit of a collection of ones I picked up at yard sales and one on my Marquette Scope. the scope is an 80's unit that will handle the 70's and 80's electrnic ign.

Rex_A_Lott, Deuces and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  5. kls50

kls50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one back in the late 80's for my 1973 F-100. I got rid of the truck in1993(wrecked it). It hung on the wall in my garage for about ten years collecting dust. One day I thought to myself while cleaning things out, I would NEVER have a use for it again and threw it into the garbage. Then I bought my 1950 Ford coupe. I wished I had it back!

Rex_A_Lott and Deuces like this.
  6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My '56 Nomad and my OT '74 C20 with a 454 both still run points distributors. I used the dwell meter on the C20 last week.

7. Slopok

Slopok

Or use a rotary phone! o_O

Toms Dogs, Rex_A_Lott, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  8. 48stude

48stude

I bought this one from a magazine ad back in the late 60's
    P1020902.JPG

Rex_A_Lott, rod1 and Deuces like this.
  9. I have a dwell meter AND a dwell function on my dvom. I use the meter A LOT for dwell, just not points......you'd be surprised at what uses dwell other then points (o/t stuff). It's also kind of shocking how easy it is to alter parameters when you have a good scan tool.

Rex_A_Lott, INVISIBLEKID and Deuces like this.
  10. I bought this one ( this is an on line image, but mine is damn close( I couldn't afford the amp option) - honest) about 1980 from our local mac man, just used the volt feature the other day on my ohh-tee mc
    [​IMG]

Rex_A_Lott and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

This was my thoughts as well, while taking my auto body in the early 80s, our instructor did a demonstration of lead work, which I found really interesting. Never have used that knowledge, but I’m still glad to have learned it.

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  12. Another one I've had for years. 20220922_154923.jpg

Rex_A_Lott, rbrewer and Deuces like this.
  13. BJR

BJR

Or tell time on an analog clock.

Rex_A_Lott, Deuces and Slopok like this.
  14. I gotta tell this story again. Not a dwell meter but a "denso meter".

Wife and I are at an auto flea market and she picks up something called a "denso meter" and asked me what it does. I have no idea so I tell her it measures stupidity and look, the meter is jumping around!!!! She calls me an idiot, puts it back down on the table, turns around and .... walks right into a tent pole :D:D:D:D

jaw22w, Blues4U, Rex_A_Lott and 5 others like this.
  15. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Somebody say dwell meter?
    dwell on these.jpg meter.jpg
    I've been known to use one a time or two:rolleyes:

Blues4U, i.rant, Rex_A_Lott and 4 others like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Driver50x, Rex_A_Lott, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  17. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Hows about keeping it away from rain and the fuel line.

At the age of 17, I came upon a DodgeHemi D500 edition with a Mallory dual point ( factory equipment ). My mentor got me through the tune up.
    Today I have 3 points cars, and found a dwell meter at an estate sale.
    However the cars will need fresh gas tanks before a tune up.

Rex_A_Lott, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Haven’t used mine in years. If memory serves me, 28-32 degrees on a small block Chevy.

Rex_A_Lott, Deuces, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  19. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Haa...got me there! I tossed it sometime back in the seventies.

Rex_A_Lott, Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t think mine has the racing flags on it, I bought mine in the ‘80s.
    But I had to “toss a bit” at ya;)

Rex_A_Lott, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  21. choptop40

choptop40

learned how to tune cars by ear and performance...

Rex_A_Lott and WalkerMD like this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On every single engine that had points even after I set the point gap with a match book. Just wanted to know. Always checked and set the GM’s with a door. Rarely ever needed adjustment.

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  23. That's why so many young people entering the field can't turn wrenches and only want to do computer work or can't read write or do arithmetic for that matter!

No different than welding teachers who don't want to teach Oxy-Fuel, it the base for everything else it gets you watching the puddle teaches you how to control the puddle etc...

How can you understand where you are if you don't know where you came from?

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Basic rule of thumb here, 8 cyl. cars set to 30* cam dwell angle ('dwell') 6 cyl. set to 45*. 4 cyl. use 60*, (some variance in all, but preferred numbers set them up accurately. (as long as the distributor bushing isn't too 'egg-shaped'...)

O.T. lesson I learned when working on BMW Tii's: (mechanical fuel injected) Because the injector pump is timed from the distributor, (MECHANICAL) dwell MUST be at 60*. I researched this thoroughly, and BTW: Injector pump shaft MUST be to the letter when adjusting to zero @ TDC. Or a missfire will occur.
    I did most of them, well, all of them...after a low time tech called it done... Very precise.

Truckdoctor Andy and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, and yes.

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

Man, I worked at a full serve station, the mechanic was ex army mechanic. The station had the big scope. He’d hook up 10 different clips, I’d watch him and he’d say “ this is for the plug, this is for the wire, etc” looking at the waveform. He could tell wether it was an electrical or mechanical issue by what he saw.
    Anyone run into the “old timers” like that?

27. SS327

SS327

Yea, I used to do that 38 years ago at the Buick dealership. Oh my Craftsman tach, dwell, ohm meter an analyzer I kept it in the original box and styrofoam.

28. X-cpe

X-cpe

Back in the late seventies that was a mystery to some of my high school students.

At the college, the first time we would take a break, I would say something like, "Be back at a quarter of." There would be at least one student who would ask, "When is that?"

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  29. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Concerning dwell meters...If you use one of these a lot, over time you'll find they can also be useful for spotting problems with a points assembly or distributor. Problems that aren't readily noticeable without the meter. Any erratic readings usually means there's an issue that needs to be tracked down and fixed. Things like worn out points assemblies, weak condensers and bad distributor bushings. Worn lobes on the points cam can usually be detected when you dial in the proper dwell reading, but the points gap is way off.

SS327 and Deuces like this.