Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Have you ever thrown away parts that you thought were worthless?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 16, 2020.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a vintage flatbottom with a 392 in it from a lady whose hot rodder father had passed away. I got it cheap with the stipulation that I would haul off all of the junk remaining after her weekend garage sale. Nothing sold so I had to haul off two long bed truckloads of automotive stuff. With nowhere to store it, I did several rounds of "Keep or Toss". I tossed 4 bolt Stromberg carbs, early Ford transmission parts and cases, flathead cams, Johnson adjustable lifters, oil pans, distributors, pulleys, all kinds of stuff like that. No one I knew at the time was interested in that kind of stuff.

2. jim snow

jim snow

In my best Curly voice why coitnly! Snowman

3. 32fenderless

32fenderless

25 years ago when I built my 38/41 willys truck I removed the stock door handles and latches for bear claws and also the stock window regulators for power windows. I moved it around a couple different times and ended up throwing them out. Now I wish I had them back to reinstall

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

bchctybob, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. 32fenderless

32fenderless

25 years ago when I built my 38/41 willys truck I removed the stock door handles and latches for bear claws and also the stock window regulators for power windows. I moved it around a couple different times and ended up throwing them out. Now I wish I had them back to reinstall

5. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

When I sold my shop in 1986, I reluctantly left behind a big box of Holley carburetors and parts. I had enough bits, pieces, and whole carbs to repair/modify just about any Holley that came through the door. Placing zero value on that collection of "junk", the new owners promptly threw it out. I remembered months later that one of those carbs had a GM part number that I had long ago traced back to an L-88 Corvette........

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

7. 56MercMan

56MercMan

So many... My father owned a hauling business. We were paid to haul away cars, junk, property clean up. I know OT but we had 11 VW Bugs on our property at one time. Early 60's ones. My friends and I would piece them together and play bumper cars with them. Mustangs, Chevelles, Sting Rays, C10's are all cars I remember. All paid to haul away and we would just take them home. Let them sit a while then crush. Parts galore. Many motorcycles and scooters. Now there are TV shows (American Pickers) of people collecting everything I remember hauling away to the dump and they are worth a lot of $.

If only I knew back then what I know now.

PS: My dads Mercury that I am working on now is one we got from a customer. we did not get paid to haul this one away but got it as partial payment for a job hauling away junk and other cars.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All this talk about seats...

I scrapped a whole car trailer stacked 3 deep of 60's era Chevy bucket seats when we sold our house because I was tired of moving them around. Most would have been Camaro, Corvair, Chevelle styles. They take up a lot of room, and I didn't have it. I think I got about $75 in scrap dollars for them.:oops:

9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We moved out of California in 1972 due to Tricky Dick's shutting off all the defense spending and me losing my job.
    The wife insisted on taking all the furniture which left no room for the dozen or so Y blocks and all the Harley parts I had. Her argument was "I hadn't paid much of anything for it so it must not be worth anything". Years later, I was working out of state for months at a time and she decided to move from the country to town. All hers and the kids stuff made the trip but my four FE engines, FE tri-power, 2.78 low top loader, 3 speed w/overdrive out of a 66 Galaxy and my 64 Fairlane 2 door HT got sent to the salvage yard. I'm still married to her but there are times I'm damned if I know why.:(:mad::confused:

LAROKE, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. CME1

CME1

When we moved from Washington State to So Idaho in 1978, I left behind a 1947 Cad Convert, in an old farm machine shop turned into a storage building. The car was all there, it had a newer Cad OHV engine and matching trans. Not running. The top was gone, the leather seats were coming apart at the seams, but were repairable. At the time it was more project then I could handle. About twenty years later we drove by the old farm and it was gone. All buildings, the farm house, just dirt was left. The property was being turned into a housing development. I still have the title to that old Cad!

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well I was not foolish enough to toss the bench seat from my 56 Chevy away but I did trade it for 1970 Chevelle buckets. they may both be worth about the same now, but I came out ahead on that deal when I did it.

I don't throw too much away, I'm more of a seller kind of guy. sitting here I can't really think of anything I have tossed out that had value. I'm a cheap bastard, being Scottish, it is in my genes.

"do you have any spare change sir?"
    "spare change? I'm Scottish, there's no such thing as spare change"

1oldtimer, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. chopped

chopped

Would the 55 Chevy wagon that I left in a parking lot in Cal when I shipped to Nam count?

13. 49coupe

49coupe

I don't have to go back to the '80s. I was moving last year and needed to get rid of some '49-50 Ford stuff. First I tried to sell it for very little, then free for pickup. For weeks nothing other than people complaining they had to drive an hour for free parts or pay for shipping. Ideally they wanted me to deliver said free parts. A few days before my move, I scrapped, nice brake parts, a bumper, two mint splash pans, tight steering box, etc.

The one that still gets me is watching a nice 1960 Buick Electra 225 convertible essentially get scrapped. It was at a body shop getting body work done. The owner had all the interior parts, seats, trim, top bows, etc. etc. in a storage unit. He forgot to pay the rent and they emptied the locker. Owner flipped but the stuff was gone and he gave up on the project. They body shop kept the body, motor and tranny for unpaid bills. I bought the motor and transmission from him, the body, which was almost ready for paint, sat uncovered through a couple of Canadian winters, filled with leaves, snow and ice, etc. and was now surface rusted. After a few city bylaw complaints, the body was scrapped.

14. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have thrown away or given away a lot of "stuff". I've thrown away Harley fatbob tanks, reversed chrome wheels I took off the '54 ford F100, a set of Astro wheels, engines, rocker boxes, all sorts of stuff. But, I have had friends and acquaintances give me an equal amount of "stuff" that they didn't want or think was valuable so its a wash. And I'm fine with that.

15. williebill

williebill

I threw away a 51 Merc 2 door in the late 70s. It had been somebody elses parts car, and was missing a lot. But it was dent free, almost completely rust free, hell, it even had a good floor in it. I'd bought another car, had several that I didn't have garage space for, and something had to go.
    After reading Sky Six post above, now I remember the original Harley tanks and fenders I threw away.
    I should be on death row for this shit..... Shoot me now, please.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

The back of a 1933 Ford Tudor would be saved today, but 25-30 years ago wasn't something worth keeping. Bob

17. Nothing big, but for years I picked up 63 black and Gold Cali license plates every so often in pairs,,, no one really wanted them you couldn't register them,,,,,, A friend bought a 63 split window, blue plates. So to be nice I gave him a set of black and golds to hang on the wall. Come along YOM plates and a year adjustment... So now the worthless plates are worth $350.00. He said thanks and headed to the DMV, and they were a local issue,,, you can tell by the three letters.

alanp561, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. bparks6446

bparks6446

When I was about 12 years old, I got a job cleaning out Storage Units that went to repossession ($20 a day BIG MONEY!). And I remember throwing away what I now know were Tunnel Rams, and Roots Blowers. Lord knows what other treasures went in that dumpster. Truly a day that will haunt me forever. Lol

HOTRODPRIMER, alanp561 and 3W JOHN like this.
  19. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

When I moved to South Carolina I had 3 flatheads I tried to sell but they did not sell
    The scrap man picked them up.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. lake_harley

lake_harley

30+ years ago my neighbor pulled a '26/'27 T 2-door sedan body with a bare frame out of a ditch or sink hole. It had some rust along the bottom, but nothing as bad as people are starting with today. I think I gave him $10 for the body and frame. I didn't throw it out but ended up donating it to the car club I belonged to at the time (and the club is still going after 40+ years). We pie cut the front of the frame and pulled it into a "V" and made a trailer out of it. The club has fixed it up a lot in recent years and still uses it to this day, mostly to store rope stands and haul them to their car show. But, back in the day it was always very popular because it usually hauled a keg of beer to the car shows. Could you get by with that today.....I'm thinking not!

Lynn

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  21. Slopok

Slopok

Everything I've ever had was worthless til I got rid of it!:mad:

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep. Threw away my share of cast iron manifolds, intake and exhaust. Threw away some two barrel Holley carbs, yeah, the half a four barrel ones that are popular on some dirt track cars now. I had switched to a four barrel, didn’t need those old man carbs. Traded 3 Vegas , one with a narrowed Dana 60 and a Hooker V8 kit complete with headers for a 67 Chevy II, that was a pretty decent trade. No telling what that narrowed Dana was worth, I think I gave $300 for the Hooker kit back then. Gave away a set of 67 Chevelle bucket seats, they were perfect with no rips. Probably a lot more stuff I can’t think of right now....

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, I've tossed stuff I figured nobody in their right mind would ever want or want to use! Then found out later they had a lot of value long after they went to the scrapyard. I'm sure I'll make the same mistake again someday, but can't keep all the crap in hopes somebody will want it!
    I've also put stuff up for sale I was going to toss, and actually sold it. So I guess it all evens out in the end!

24. pkhammer

pkhammer

Around 1980 my brother bought a beautiful SS Chevelle that a PO had apparently put a 409 dual snorkel chrome air cleaner on. He replaced it with a open element air cleaner and I'm pretty sure the 409 unit got tossed.

25. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Advertise First And Then After I Throw It Away The Phone Rings... OneDay.jpg

scotty t, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about that guy who GAVE away all his Hydro stuff, including one complete B & M Slant Pan Hydro-Stick transmission with the B & M aluminum adapter bell-housing for a Chevrolet, another complete Hydro transmission, several extra modified torus assemblies, flywheels, rare SBC starter motor, and even two shifters? Yeah, that was me; stupid, stupid, stupid. Of course, the nostalgia craze started right after I did that. The guy I gave it all to really wanted it, and was really appreciative he got it, then he sold all the stuff. Tom Willford, AKA Vintage Speed (RIP), bought the stuff; later on I GAVE Tom another Hydro and some parts I came into. After Tom passed, one of his sons had the stuff for sale on that auction site we all know and love. I tend to give stuff away I don't think I'll ever use, rather than sell it. Some went to deserving people, some to real putzes; you know who you are. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3W JOHN, LOU WELLS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Don't remind me... should have sold it instead of toss. What was I thinking?

28. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in 1973 I was traveling the country expanding my mind, yeah that sounds good:D, and was away from home for 18 months. We rented our house and it seems the landlord was giving my mother shit about the three cars my bother and I had left there. Place was a dump so I have no idea why they bothered anyone! There was a 1963 Falcon sprint convertible, a 1966 Mustang fastback, both 289s and 4 speeds, and a 1967 Dodge dart with a 340 and a 4 speed. All solid needing small shit to run again. Dart needed a rear end. I think she ended up selling them all off for about a $100 bucks just to get rid of them! I'd give a right nut to get any of them back again! As for getting rid of stuff I am about to do just that. Next week I am starting to empty my storage bin of extraneous flathead parts. Soon as I do I am sure they will be worth more than gold!

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Nope never. LOL

30. Budget36

Budget36

Yep, just about 3 days ago. Had the ass-end of a wiring harness with bulbs in the sockets, Been in the way for 10 years, was cleaning up...tossed it.

Got to work and a guy tells me I have a brake light out.

No problem I think, till I realize what I had was in the county fill by then.

alanp561, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.