Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have you ever sent a pocket knife off to be repaired

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 18, 2019.

1. I have been caring my Dad's Case pocket knife ever since he passed away in '99, I gave him the knife for Christmas in 1972.

My dad used and abused the knife, it is a two blade knife , he used the short blade for digging in his pipe and the loner blade for cutting anything he needed cutting, that included wire if he need a piece.

To say the blades are pretty well shot is no understatement but as you can imagine there is a very little monetary value but a lot of sentimental value.

Have any of you guys had any success with entrusting any of the knife repair businesses to bring your heirloom back to life? HRP

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    tractorguy likes this.
  2. If the knife is in decent shape, opens and closes OK etc. than I would just try and sharpen the blades myself. Sometimes this means grinding them down a bit if they are really torn up. A good stone and some oil works wonders or you can get one of those sharpeners with the cutting angle built in. Plenty of good instructions on you tube. I have seen old knives with the blade worn down half it's size from abuse but still hold a passable edge.

tractorguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Danny, if you know an oldtime gunsmith, he'd be the first one I'd ask. The few left that can fix old firearms usually have the required patience for that type work. And since it's a Case, there's a good chance there's a club with classified ads - there has to be ''parts knives'' out there.

tractorguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. My dad was rough on this old knife, he even put the big blade on a grinding wheel, thanks for the information. HRP

5. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Hombre likes this.
  6. Doubt if they do it in-house, but maybe if you contacted the folks over at The Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Pigeon Forge/ Sevierville they might be able to direct you to someone who does this kind of work. If you've never stopped in there when attending the Shades of the Past show, it's well worth your time.:).................Don.

tractorguy and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  7. Oh yeah Don, I have to stay away from that place, I have spent a small fortune in there! :D HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. I did notice on the repair sheet from Case that they ask if the knife is sentimental, I would hope if you check that box they wouldn't send a replacement and just repair the blades if possible. HRP

49ratfink and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I would want the knife just as my father left it.... if it was me.
    I took my well worn Buck 110 to the factory in El Cajon , Ca. some time ago and had it repaired, they asked about replacing the blade. I said no just got where I liked it, they fixed the spring and polished it and mailed it back to Oklahoma, free!

Bones

10. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

I sent one of my Case knives back to the factory when it became hard to open. They fixed it, polished the blade, sharpened it up, and sent it back in about 3 weeks. Excellent service from them.

Hombre and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. That puts my mind at ease, how old was the knife? HRP

12. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

My knife was maybe 10 years old at the time. Case will fix it if parts are available. It’s up to you whether or not you want to have it replaced.

13. safetythird

safetythird

If for some reason case won't help you out, my brother is a world class knife maker. I can get him to treat you well and not break the bank.

Hombre likes this.
  14. trollst

trollst

I love knives, I have an old schrade I bought new for big money when I was 20, I'm 64 now, one of my most treasured items.

15. I broke the blade on my sodbuster knife that my wife bought me when she was my girlefriend. I sent it back to Case with a note. They called me to verify what I wanted them to do. Got it back no charge.

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

Send it to Zippo , Case in Bradford NY. I,m pretty sure they still repair both.

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Do a google search on muskratman, a private guy that is the best in the bizz and very affordable..............................