Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have you ever rented your car out for a Video Shoot??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmbuellist, Jul 17, 2013.

1. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

I got a call today---sounded legit---and they wanted to shoot a music video here at White Sands national monument. A female hip hop artist.
    Using my Pink Car.
    Sure I've always wanted that. And they pay very well. But, is there some sort of damage thing, or am I just to assume that's why I'm getting paid well.?

2. I think I would draw up an agreement any damage will be repaired by shop of your choice.
    Good luck

3. Having a friend that rented a studio two of his original cars for a movie and the money was good but the cars were abused to the extent that he ended up selling them.:mad:

There is no way on Gods green earth I would rent out my car,,especially for a hip hop video,,she will probably be dancing on the roof with spiked high heels! HRP

4. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Music videos are the bottom end of production. Usually a non-union set and nobody who cares about long term reputations.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I rented out one of my vintage BMW motorcycles (a sidecar rig) for a movie shoot once in NYC. Never again. You have to spend DAYS standing around to watch them shoot enough film for a 30 second scene. And they don't treat your stuff very well. Not worth it, imo.

6. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

This is exactly the vision that popped into my head, a whole bunch of people dancing all over the top of your car and maybe a Dukes Of Hazard style jump or two. :(:eek::(:eek:

7. chubbie

chubbie

Hip Hop??? That should be enofe to answer your own question

8. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

the only way i would do it is with a fine print contract on what could be done to the car with my permission-paid union scale and THEY pay the lawyer that drew up the contract that i authored...............

9. DrJ

DrJ

The only way I'd do it is if they put enough cash in a bag to cover what Id sell the car for and handed it to me and if I didn't like what was left of the car it would be theirs.
    And no way would I want anything anyone might recognize as ever being mine associated with that gawdamn hip hop/rap crap.

10. Bounder

Bounder

Did one for Nascar last year but I did the driving. ESPN pre race show about how moonshine hauling got to stock car racing. They put me up in a motel ,paid for our meals and $600 for expenses. Dang I would have paid them if I had known how much fun it was. BUT wouldn't let them drive my car. 6 hours of filming and I got about 30 seconds of air time. But I went world wide.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ask to see the script, then decide. In the few hip hop vids I've seen, they usually just stand, drive or lay on them. It's NOT a movie or TV show.

12. I've done it a few times. Yes-you sign a contract/agreement. you usually sign a waiver for them to use photos/video of you vehicle. You don't sign anything until you read it. I have always gotten paid up front. Ask questions before and speak up if you don't like something.
    It's good money...

13. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Tom Mc Mullin told me he let them use his touring for the to hot for teacher video.The guy coffed the supercharger pumping the gas trying to do a burnout after running from school and jumping into the car. He said he repeatedly told the guy dont pump the gas .they blew the gaskets out. He said never again. I wouldn't rent my car.

14. rustang

rustang

Hmmmmm... I know what I'm like with the rental cars I use when I'm on business trips.... don't think I would be renting anything of mine out to some HipHop diva.... spike heels would really ef up the hood....
    Tom

15. Mike

Mike

Your machine would be just another "prop" to those people. They most likely will not treat it well.

16. You are talking about a entirely different scenario,,these guys know cars and the love we have for them,,something like this I would almost PAY them! :D HRP

17. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I was asked to lend a '59 Cadillac I had for a photo shoot for breast cancer a good few years ago. They had Miss World draped all over it. Needless to say I hung around to make sure the ...ahem, car was OK. No contract, no payment, no damage. It was for a good cause and I was happy to oblige (and watch/take pictures).

I am sure this is quite different from what they are looking for but it is nevertheless relevant.

Now, gotta go look at those photos one more time!

18. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

They (if their legit) will offer you an insurance policy to cover damage / replacement. When mine was used by Goldie Hawn Productions they gave me a 1,000,000 dollar insurance policy.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure...

19. I've rented my cars, bikes, bicycles and motorcoach for movies and still photos. Get a contract you are comfortable with. If there is a chance of damage to your vehicle don't do it. Bring a book and enjoy it. The money is good but boring.

Attached Files:

20. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

we had a pair of mg midgets for sale a few years back. good car and matching parts cars. we ended up "renting" them out to a crew shooting and indie film for more than the aking price. parts car was used to stage the "wreck scene" and the driver for other stuff. afterwards we parted out the "wreck" AND sold the driver. My dad spent a couple days on set with them and enjoyed the experience. Not sure if that answer's your question. I guess it really depends on the production company, your vehicle, and exactly what's going on.

21. Another angle

Attached Files:

22. williebill

williebill

Look for other threads on this. I was an extra for October Sky, and was friends with the guy who owned the 51 Merc used as the family car. Not only did the production company change the color with a shitty paint job, they didn't tell the owner they were going to do that. Then they fucked up the car with bolted on cameras. They paid damages after, but the owner never did fix the car, he was sick about what they did to a beautiful Merc.
    Don't do it.

23. johnnyvees

johnnyvees
    from sunland ca

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!! i was at a rap video shoot with my buddy they used one of his cars the video was shot in the old firestone building in Cali
    and let me tell you they do not care about your car the money maybe good but the damage they did was not and when he ask to get his car fixed they said SUE ME he tryed but did not get S#@T so i say dont do it.

24. I did a similar thread to this last summer as a production company contacted me to use my car in a movie. Eventually I backed out because of all the stories I heard on the HAMB (I started a thread as well). I have no regrets at all and am happy I didn't do it. You have to think what it would cost to fix you're car in certain scenarios...

-Camera drilled and bolted on to it...

-People dancing on it...

-Someone drove it who can't shift...

-Bumped into something on set...

I am sure at least something would happen to you're car for all of three minutes of fame. Like someone told me on the HAMB last summer when I did my thread if you want that kind of fame post a picture up of you're ride on the HAMB. I am sure we would appreciate it more than the hip hop crowd anyways.

25. Special Ed

Special Ed

It appears that most of the negative comments are coming from "friends" of someone who has done this, a second-hand (or third-hand) report, or are simply speculative opinions.
    Most of the positive comments are from those that have ACTUALLY DONE IT! Does this tell you anything? :rolleyes:
    My personal experience was good. Your mileage may vary ...

26. We rented a 1957 Chevy 4 door wagon to the studio that filmed "This Boys Life" in Concrete, Washington. They had it for a few weeks and then called us to come get it. When we went to pick it up they told us it wasn't in the film because "the color (the bone stock turquoise blue and white) wasn't correct for the early 60s era. No joke. They paid Dad well, and he was very happy. If you are concerned, just insist that you be there, and move it around for them.

27. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

All legit productions have insurance incase of damage. Which is why you Should do a walk around your car an write down any damage/scratches/dings that's there before production uses it. And give them a copy of your notes.
    Accidents DO happen on set, lots of people running around ad lots of equipment. So request to production that crew cannot wear tools belts around your car. Trust me on that one.
    Also they may ask to have a teamster drive your car and not you. They are very cautious and very careful with cars. But just in case, watch your temp gauge if they are doing lots of idling and stuff.
    Other than that, have fun!! Enjoy craft service!

28. wex65

wex65
    from WV

One more thought...if you proceed with a contract it wouldn't do any harm to include a damage form (as an appendix) like you have to sign when you rent a car... include a clause that states the damage form will be the sole basis upon which claims of prior damage will be based.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3199/3082489432_92f2317585_o.jpg

29. My 28 rpu was used in a music local vid of Hot Rod Lincoln. My 28 was not exactly period for the vid nor was the backround but they used it anyway. No abuse and he was tickled to have it and i had complete control of it's use.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524584

30. With all the horror stories being related here I thought I would put out one on a more positive note.
    Back in the late 1980's I owned a 64 Mini Cooper Estate that was hotted up pretty well and a friend who brokered cars for movies shot locally asked me if I would like to rent it out to a production company for a day.They were shooting an episode of Unsolved Mysteries in Charlestown MA and needed some British vehicles;preferably right hand drive.
    Well mine wasn't but I had a friend who owned an MGY that was and they decided they could use both cars.Mine was outfitted with a steering column wired into the righr side of the dash and they used a low camera angle to shoot it.I did have to remove the wing that was attached to the rear of the roof though and the taped over the brackets with duct tape that was close to the color of the car.
    I must say that the person who worked on the car was very careful not to do any damage;the crew and cast were most friendly;asking questions about the cars and we had all we could eat at the canteen they brought with them.
    It was interesting in that although it was shot in a suburb of Boston,it was on a brick street and the reason the cars needed to be RHD was that it was supposed to be in Ireland.
    We were finished up before noon time and I was paid on the spot($150;not bad for a half day of hanging around).Steve;who owned the MGY got a walk on part and got an additional $150 and they did it in one shot.
    I even got a copy of the episode that it was in.

Attached Files: