Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Have you ever heard of a man named Joseph Galamb ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 19, 2018.

1. I totally agree. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and Stogy like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Great thread, it sure would be interesting to see if any of these drawings made it to reality. Anybody know?!

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't totally understand these patents whether they were the patent but I believe many of them Yes...case in point...bear with me...

@catdad49 the drawing is very similar to this but the grille ends at the cowl and the drawing continues much further back. But that could have been a decision at the coach builder
    without drawing update.

USD111840-0.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://silodrome.com/lincoln-zephyr-v12-twin-grille/

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/10/09/unique-twin-grille-lincoln-to-appear-at-hershey-aaca-show/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  4. SR100

SR100

Joe Galamb was a Hungarian immigrant who was one of the Model T's main designers. He was also involved in the Fordson tractor. He became chief body engineer @ Ford. He survived the Sorenson-led purge of the "Model T sons of bitches" and retired in 1944.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he earned it...;)

ladyhrp, catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whats kinda interesting here is the the Drawing has a filing date of 1930 and another bolder date of 1933 the car in drawing is either 30 or 31 and the photo is a 29. There is a chance Galamb's design is not on the 29 but I figure it is but that is my assumption.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  7. I scored this a few years back,6 wheel equipped with these cowl vents that looked so factory,but these appear to lower in the cowl? 31 I believe.Apparently came here from Oklahoma,was told an old doctors car. P3231031.JPG

8. It looks like it could have been original,wow. HRP

upload_2018-3-21_10-27-13.jpeg

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Galamb's draft the vent door detail has distinctly sharp corners with the draft on the fullsize view appearing as your car in shape and the 29 photo the corners of the vent are and position is somewhat different. These could have been special orders...but that could have been very possibly a special request order possibly by a customer. Cool Pic @Barrelnose pickup and that vent will come in handy...

Is there patent number on your vent door inside?

Yours is a 30 so maybe that year position changed...Galamb's draft may be for 31.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  10. catdad49

catdad49

Barrel, that sure is interesting. Could you get a shot from the inside? Thanks in advance, Carp

11. It’s tucked away with another behind it but I will try to get a couple of pics.
    I was under the impression it is a late 31 due to the indented firewall?
    Been wrong before though.

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am making a call of year by the rad shell which seems to not have the black top insert on the front face. There is every chance that is not an original shell or the insert has fallen or been taken off. Does your ownership identify it as a 31? There are other identifiers as you have eluded. I think there is every chance what is on the cowl is an original vent wise. But hey they had body shops and wrecking yards back then so I guess a close inspection of the work on that install may give some clues. Knowing they had it on the drawing board certainly makes the assuming of it being factory much more credible. Again the air will come in handy that's for sure.

13. catdad49

catdad49

I know the windshield gives plenty of air flow, but those side vents would be welcome on a hot day!

Stogy, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  14. Yeah Stogy,the quality of workmanship in the vents installation is top notch.
    I actually thought they had used T cowl vents when I first checked them out.
    I will take some measurements also along with some pics for Catdad49.
    Yeah ,the vents will be appealing on a warm day but in the middle of summer here it would be like a hair dryer on full heat.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  16. Good to be able to be involved in a hopefully interesting thread.
    Well the plot thickens,I got a few pics of the vents and bugger me,they are actually identical to
    the vent in a T r/pickup I have,26-7 model.
    Metal rolled the same,same clip set up and the same lever on the outside.
    Were these factory fitted with Henrys left overs as an option,or done by a dealership as an option.
    Could be just a bloke asked a garage/workshop from the day to supply and fit?
    They measure 10" x 5 1/4",same as the T even down to the rivets attaching the lid to the hinge assembly.
    You choose the scenario. DSCF2464.JPG DSCF2465.JPG DSCF2469.JPG DSCF2466.JPG

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tough call Barrelnose but I would suspect that it would have had interior finishing of a higher level including a mesh screen perhaps as depicted in the Volo Coupe above. With dual side mounts yours is a higher end model i figure. As you say it could have been done in the dealer Bodyshop.

Perhaps there was no mesh and your car did have panels they're just removed...dunno

Thanks for taking the time to search that out...;)

18. I was wrong about the T vent,same lid for sure but the rolled edge of the body isn't wired like the A ones,no spring along the hinge either.Still interesting I suppose,not "traditional" either but a fine addition to a hot DSCF2475.JPG rod I reckon.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  19. catdad49

catdad49

Wow, from what I see it sure looks like a factory panel ( or is it just me). Thanks for all the additional info and pictures.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like it could be dealer/bodyshop installed, factory...not sure. The Volo coupe and the 3drs look factory and the coupe is located juat like Galamb's draft. The last pic Barrel showed is his T and they are different to. Dunno

21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I don't remember seeing any A Models with the side vents.

catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Theres a few in the million or so that were made. I personally haven't but the patent and the pics put things in perspective.

catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Either way,as said they will be a pleasant addition to have on a warm day and a little out of the box.

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. I've seen a few Model A's with the 32 cowl vent,this on is a hot rod and Jim removed the gas tank and bought a replacement piece and added the vent. HRP

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  25. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny,is that the blue A model coupe that was for sale in sandy springs?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be a pretty modern Patent...:D...But nice job
    Its amazing having the windshield kicked open and the windows down there is
    still dead air when your cruisen...but that would help.​