Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Have you ever gotten back the one you always hoped you would ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellerlj, Aug 2, 2018.

1. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Years ago, 1976 actually, I was at the Pomona Swap and saw this '51 Merc, fell in love with it right away, even with all its doors......bought it, drove it for a while, then moved back here to Minnesota
    and couldn't bring it along.....Told myself....SOMEDAY....I will have another 51, and maybe even a
    2dr.....SOMEDAY.....Well, that was 40 some years ago and it seems if you hold on to a dream long enough and keep your eyes open.....it might come true.....So now I am collecting parts and hope that this winter, I will be able to start on putting it back on the road.......Thanks for listening !!!!

Attached Files:

hallrods, Latigo, Tim and 3 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad to here of a new project. :cool: I am on the wrong side of the U.S. probably to get my the one I want back.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad to here of a new project. :cool: I am on the wrong side of the U.S. probably to get my the one I want back.

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

First one i ever built was a 53 merc convertible i was 13 back then you could get a drivers permit at 14 worked my ass off for money to work on it. Wish i had that one back.

5. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

7. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Car or woman?

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

No, but I got the one I wanted, miss you Dad

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on '51 project
    my first car was a '53 Merc from Minnesota

10. dwollam

dwollam

Mine was gone for 32 years before I found it again and bought it back.

1951 Ford Club Coupe 007.jpg
    Dave

11. I just purchased that '50 Ford club coupe that has been like a unicorn for the past 56 years. HRP

12. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I’ve wanted one of these for a daily driver for a long time
    Found the right one right here on the H.A.M.B.
    IMG_3528.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. thomas.parker197

thomas.parker197

Yes sir! I sold my 56 chevy in 2003 and regretted from day one. Tracked the car down to several subsequent owners, then the trail went cold. Finally started looking for another old Chevy and found my 55 Belair. Couldn't be happier. Got it back on the road a few months after bringing it home and have been driving it for two years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

14. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I lost this one in a divorce in 2007. I found it and bought it back in june. This time for keeps 1529283996644507699349.png

15. gene-koning

gene-koning

I had an off topic car I built from the ground up, back in the early 80s. I sold that car to help with the down payment when we bought our house in the country. I always thought I wanted it back.

About 10 years ago, I heard rumors of it being for sale, and I chased it down and found it. There were enough details to positively identify it as my old car. I could have bought it back for pretty cheap. As I walked around it looking at it, I began to think about how it was after I first built it. In my mind, the only proper way to rebuild that car was to rebuild it to the way it was the 1st time. Times had changed, the way it was no longer fit who I was at that time. I chose to walk away.

About 6 months later I saw the car on a very nice hauling rig, heading down the highway. I figured the car was heading for a better home then I could or would have given it. The car was a very big part of my life that no longer exists. My hope is that it is now a very big part of someone else's life. Gene

clem likes this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold a 56 Chevrolet, Model 150, Utility Sedan (AKA Business Coupe), to a friend in the mid 70's. It was a street car with a 360 HP 396 BBC, Muncie 4 speed, and 5.38 Positraction rear end (modified factory rear end). Then, one day his Dad says to me, "I sure wish you'd buy that car back from Tom"; he thought it was too much car for his son. A couple of weeks later, his Dad died while riding Tom's bicycle; the front caliper came loose and tangled in the front tire/wheel, flipping the bike forward. Massive skull fractures and intracranial bleeding took him. Tom was devastated; it was a bike he had put together from various parts. So, what could I do, I bought the car back, and it became my first dedicated drag car, after much more modification and work. But, I had to sell it later to step up into a front engine dragster. This was a car I originally paid $80.00 for with no engine or transmission; the guy pulled those for his truck. Then, a couple of years ago, it was on E-Bay for $56,000.00; a full tilt, Pro Street/Drag Car that will run in the EIGHTS!!! I'd like to have that car again, but the price was/is WAY out of my reach. I talked with the guy, just to give him some history of the car, and verify it was my old car; it was. The guy that owned it before him, won the All Chevy/Super Chevy Drags with it, at Seattle International Raceway, in the Street Class running in the TENS. Maybe before I die.......................................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

thomas.parker197 likes this.
  17. 35desoto

35desoto

Let a couple on both sides of this go which I shouldn't but ...

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got rid of this car during a divorce. Wish I could find it again. A Willys nosed Plymouth coupe. faded memories.jpg

19. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I sold this in 1983 to go back to school. In retrospect, I could most likely have kept it, but didn't think that I could afford it at the time. I sold it to a guy in Ponca City and lost track of it not long after. I often wonder if it is still around. I hope it is and did not succumb to Pro Street or Pro Touring trends.

Years have come and past and I still occasionally have a dream that I find it stashed in Pop's old shop. Of course, Pop is still around in some of those dreams. College, work and family have filled the years since. My son is grown now and he knows how much I loved that old Chevy. He sends me CL ads from time to time for various old Chevys, hoping to spur me into action. Perhaps I can locate a suitable replacement before I go to that great gig in the sky. I am sure as hell gonna try. 56.jpg

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Mine are all OT, too new, but my second car that I had in high school is one I'd love to own again. I sold it to a classmate, who sold it to his Grandpa, then he traded it off later. Another one was one the wife and me bought the first year we were married, it was an extra in a Smokey and the Bandit film. We were both unemployed at the time we had to get rid of it, sold it to somebody she knew, it went through them and their kids and probably got run into the ground. The third one is actually on topic, I never owned it but my Uncle did, a 63 1/2 Galaxie fastback, 427 4 bbl 3 speed, bright red with red interior. I traced it down through two owners after my Uncle, then the trail went cold.