Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you ever been infatuated with a hot rod? I have........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brady1929, Dec 21, 2019.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

This was a local car that I haven't seen in over half a century now but I still want a full fender chopped and channeled A coupe. It was a dark green metallic color back then. Scan-171210-0001.jpg

Stogy, Jim Bouchard and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I think Magfiend and I are brothers. And for those living under a rock that don’t know Rothenberg’s willys. Which has been shown before probably but warrants a reminder.

IMG_0664.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, Oilguy and Jim Bouchard like this.
  3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rothenbergs ‘32 coupe that preceded that Willys was awesome as well!

Stogy likes this.
  4. 32fenderless

32fenderless

This one?
    [​IMG]

His roadster was top 100 32’s and his Vicky is just as neat.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

slayer, Jim Bouchard and bowie like this.
  5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. 34Larry

34Larry

18 years old, driving by Starbirds shop on my way into and from the airbase where I was stationed I saw this car through all its stages. Infatuated ??????? to say the very least.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy, Jim Bouchard and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We were so infatuated with a Model A coupe that when it disappeared in late 1957, it surprised me. It was supposed to be our street legal build of a gas coupe for racing at Lion’s Dragstrip and cruising Bixby Knolls. But, after getting a non running Model A coupe back to our house, we got it running. What a thrill, not very fast, but fun, while it lasted. Within several weeks, it disappeared and a new black 58 Impala was sitting in our driveway. My brother decided to not wait until the build was over and wanted a competitive car right now. He got a good one that lasted through plenty of action until I sold it in 1964.

Actually, the Impala racing led to a 1940 Willys Coupe built for the B/Gas and C/Gas Class. It was supposed to be a street legal car, which it was, including a license plate, mufflers, working headlights and brake lights, etc. But, it just felt as if it was not meant for a dual purpose lifestyle. No one at the time had a 671 supercharger on an SBC motor chugging through the Bixby Knolls drive-in restaurant parking lot. We did and it was a fabulous experience.

It was the anticipation of the 671 292 SBC motor firing up, driving down the street and then sitting back while my brother took it through it paces. We decided to cruise through the parking lots and had to estimate how much gas was being used as the Willys had a 2.5 gallon Moon Tank inside of the cab. We estimated that we could go almost 10 miles safely with a full tank, but for a night’s worth of driving, it required several fill ups. The gas station attendants were surprised and amazed at what was chugging into their gas pump stations.
    upload_2021-1-27_3-39-0.png

Jnaki

Remembering that particular time of cruising around, erased any memory of wanting a Model A coupe for our first street legal hot rod. It may not have been a daily driver, but it could have been. Imagine driving it to the high school parking area for the 8:00am classes and having everyone "ohh and ahh" at the sight of the odd-looking coupe. Teenage kudos were important and this Willys Coupe would have received its share of stares and accolades.
    upload_2021-1-27_3-39-33.png
    We were proud of our first time build and results of that build with a cool road trip to our favorite places in Bixby Knolls. It was instant gratification of being in a high power hot rod and the accolades from our hot rod/drag race friends made it all worthwhile. It was infatuation to its extremes.

These days it would not be a 1940 Willys Coupe. We had to move the seats back to its farthest point and still it felt cramped while driving or sitting in the passenger area. (Well, if it were to have been a daily driver, the original gas tank in the rear would have been used and the Moon Aluminum Tank would have been taken out. ) There was not a lot of room for a couple of big teenagers in bucket seats.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20210629_055337.jpg

:rolleyes:...I have, when I decided to switch direction with my stalled project this Hotrod above became my focus and reality after the Missus did some negotiation when it was advertised for sale six years ago...a 2010 Hamb build at that...

It's truly been the oldest vehicle I've owned fitting the definition of a Hotrod that may have been in 1963. It continues to deliver the raw, un-luxurious experience that I expected....

@brady1929 I also take this opportunity to wish you the best on your Birthday today with an ever continuing appreciation of Hotrod/Custom and where the dreams take you...

9. brady1929

brady1929

Thank you so much Steve. That is very kind of you.

Stogy likes this.