Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have i completly lost it? I want a Model A daily.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Jul 23, 2011.

1. brandon

brandon

You'll meet a lot of nice people driving a model a....especially at the gas station...lol...some get it, others.......................:rolleyes: driven daily....

[​IMG]

2. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

3. I say go for it!

And stock up on model a consumables and spares!

And start a blog of your adventures.

"Jan 14 2012: It was cold as shit and she decided not to start so I had to hand crank that bitch!"

4. famdoc3

famdoc3

I just finished driving my Model A Street Rod 95,000 daily driven miles. Salt tore it up terribly finally had to take it back off the road for rust repair. Was trying to post a picture of it at my office with 4-6 inches of snow on it. Daily driving presents a different set of problems. Both my brother and I drove stock tudor sedans to high school. Heat, defrosters, wipers and brakes are the difference between safe and unsafe. Really think thesse things through and you can do it. Then you can just watch it rust as the salt on the roads was never anticipated by our old friend Henry. Good luck, MIKE

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. A Boner

A Boner

Model "A"s as a daily driver.......what do you think it is, the 30's or 40's?

6. nickk

nickk

if you gonna do a stock model A then its not too practical esp for going at high speeds and fast stopping although ive been in a coupe with mechincal brakes that worked as good as some juice drums, but yeah, im 20 and starting a 1930 highboy coupe as soon as i get it paided off, and it will definately be driven a lot, may brake some axles in my old branjo, but you gotta pay to play. im up dating it with juice brakes and a 1957 272

7. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Driving a stock Model A is an experience. Speed is not a factor, yeah it's nice to go fast, but I've had more fun driving my stock A than I ever had in another car. I like simple things. Simple to work on, everything is mechanical and has a purpose. Not all cars need juice brakes. The rattles, squeaks, and exhaust note of a banger will always put a smile on my face!

8. Do it! Why not have another adventure in life?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would have to be more reliable than this "noted for it's reliability" box with wheels I have sitting in the driveway waiting for a part that doesn't seem to exist in the known world.

I don't think the issue is if an A bone stock or slightly modified is up to daily driving but if you are up to the challenge of daily driving a car that actually takes driving rather than just getting in and going. I'd keep the truck though because there are times that you just need a vehicle that will go faster and further. Especially when you need to make a road trip for parts for one of your projects. And sometimes our pnw weather isn't conducive to driving truly vintage cars and feeling safe. I'd rather risk the late model out with the idiots that show up during the first ice or snow of the year and are still driving with their summer brains.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Welcome to the club of who lost it as I would like to go even further and get a stock T to use as a in town daily driver during the warmer months,I refuse to subject any old vehicle to the salt in the winter so all my old cars sit during the winter but if I lived where it did not snow then yes I would drive them year round.

11. Redbuddy

Redbuddy
    from Cordova al

I drove one for about a year.305chevy no front fenders.enjoyed it decied to make it better tore aPart sold years later.I really miss it.

12. I'll be driving mine daily when done. But I don't commute far and it's not stock.

13. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

My first car was a Model A. First place I went was up Cajon Pass to Palmdale, lotta truckers were wavin' at me, I guess cuz of getting to see the A bone go up the grade. Was kind of like a parade, me in front and them honk'n, flash'n thier lights, n giving me the number one sign. It WAS my only driver, however there are some things I would, an would,nt do today. Driving in town on city streets no problem, however juice brakes are a good idea. Henry put them on the 39,s, after Edsel told him they were cheaper. A set of 3.54 rear gears is also what I,d do for a quik jump on and off a freeway. That was when I was 17, the A bone will work out just fine.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  14. famdoc3

famdoc3

Drove a stock 1930 tudor to high school. Winters were bad froze myself to death. Fall and spring were great. Open the windshield and cool off. Watch out for the fools wh cut you off not understanding how poorly you can stop or swerve. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011