Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have I been living in the 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zigged should've Zagged, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

I wanted a flat piece of auto door glass about 24x24". Last I paid for custom cut glass it was $30. This place wants $110, not installed. Am I still living in the past or am I at the wrong store?

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i think thats pricey but i paid 160 for a model a windshield cut and put in the frame.

3. Unfortunately glass businesses are legalized piracy. There is at least a 400% markup on pretty much anything they do. Laminated glass is no exception. Our local shop doesn't do windshields any more though. I strongly suspect that the profit margin on them isn't that much. I had side glass done for my Merc years ago, limo tint, and it was $200 for the sheet, the eight pieces cut to fit. Last year I inquired about doing the doors in my 64 Chevy truck - needed a 1/2 sheet and it was double that figure.

4. 30.00 is about what I pay here at the local glass shop..so I guess your at the wrong store

5. all 4 pieces for the car in my avatar was $143

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's about par for what it costs. 30$ is a great deal but probably unusual these days. I paid 90$ for glass installed into my windshield frame and I know the guys.

7. rld14

rld14

Get in touch with Chris Blattie over on the Hamb-O-Dex.

I Paid $160 for two BIG pieces of glass for my Lincoln from him, and that included shipping from Montana to New Jersey. And the glass came packed in a box that would protect the Mona Lisa.

8. flathead okie

flathead okie

i just paid 170 for the complete tinted glass set for stock Model A coupe. The old glass was still in the windshield and door runners. All glass was replaced in frames. Winshield, doorglass, qtrs, and rear,170, at Cimmeron Glass in Cushing Okla.

oops posted wrong price first time. Corrected

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  9. Glass is like interior work and is marked up 100% in case their is a mistake. could be more but that used to be standard in the industry.

10. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

Sounds like maybe prices did go up a bit.:eek: I guess that's a disadvantage of having some...ahem, years of "experience" and still be able to remember them.If I couldn't remember I wouldn't care.:p

11. I have to call BULL SHIT here

in the 60's we did work on a 300% mark up. but that allowed for all the waste cut offs and the labor to cut and grind the finished glass. with all that included we could cut and sell early flat VW windshields for $22.00 and most vent windows were $8.00

times change and the glass business is now controlled by the insurance companies and manufactures net works. our material cost change every spring and fall. we get get a fuel sur charge on every delivery. I'm paying $5.00 a square foot more than I was 3 years ago. my labor charge has gone up too.

12. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

So I'm in central Texas - who should I use for my 31 Roadster windshield glass? Installed in the frame, etc. Thanks

13. rld14

rld14

I dunno, I mean that's both side windows for a 1960 Lincoln, the box they came in was sturdy as hell and made of wood, probably 2' by 3' and I have to think shipping was easily $50 of that.

Guy locally wanted $200 for just the piece of door glass plus labor, he wouldn't cut it unless he installed it.

14. I found the reciept for the glass for my Willys in some stuff that came with it. 4 pieces of flat glass 280.00, 1982. :eek:

15. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

Oh I think you did fairly,well with ther lincoln. I was musing about other prices I've run into. I did contact that place you recommended and am waiting for a reply.

16. You might be one of the only honest ones. I can see insurance comapnies controlling pricing for claims but to walk in off the street you get raped (at least up here). I priced a windshiled of an o/t daily driver at 3 different glass companies and they were all around $500 installed. I called a buddy that works at a glass place in a different city and he can do it for under $200. Now I know he isn't making much off me but come on.

17. I don't know where in Pa Emmaus is , but down in Westminster Md. not too far south of the Pa. line I have been getting glass cut for about $30 for a side window size.

send me a pm and I can try to look up the name of the outfit.

18. Don't want to start a scrap here either. Our local shop HERE was owned by guy who was consumed by the almighty $$ and their main business is residential/commercial, and even with the new owners they bend you over royally. No BS. My post said a half sheet last year cost double what a full sheet cut and smoothed did 20 years ago.

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Check around, A couple years ago a place near me wanted 68 dollars to cut "one" side glass for a 55 chevy I had, I wound up getting "two" cut at a diffrent place for 50.

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

You have to also consider the devaluation of the dollar.

21. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

yeah all True. I have seen one heck of a swing in pricing from place to place!

22. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

MY $.02.......wrong store.
    B.B.

23. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Our local glass shop had this nice old guy that have operated the business since the begining of time. I hade him cut me a windshield and back glass for an F-1, cost me $40. He retired and sold the business to a younger man. Windshilds now cost $150 and smaller windows like a side or rear are $75-100.

24. little t

little t

get in the guys car because he is taking you for a ride

25. rld14

rld14

I remember Chris posting that he was gonna be outta town for a few days... Going to a show iirc.

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

25 years ago I paid $50 for the windshield in my 27, installed. A couple of years ago we paid $ 100 each for the ones in my two Son's T bucket and rpu. So that seemed reasonable, taking into account inflation over 25 years.

Don

27. fleetside66

fleetside66

Try Lehigh Valley Auto Glass (1059 3rd St., Whitehall) at 484-240-1906. They cut my glass for my windshield chop reasonably & are very good to work with. Gary from Schweikert's Speed shop originally referred me to them.

28. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I put glass in a 63 comet, brand new windshield with tint from PPG 117, six pieces of flat glass 210 with tint from The Glass House San Dimas, Calif. I habpve used them in the past for many cars. They have patterns for everything it seems! So you do not need the original glass to get new ones cut. bTW the backlite on that comet was 634.00... I just buffed up and lived with the old one!

29. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

That's not too far away. I can check them out also.

30. moefuzz

moefuzz

Two glass shops with in a mile of me:

Shop #1 Quoted $126 for several pcs 1/4" cut to size, total square footage = 4
    Shop #2 cut all pcs to size and charged me $22.

Glass shops mark up as much as 600% if they think you are willing to take it up the azz.

If you don't like paying more than ~$10 per square (cut to size) your only option is to find an honest glazier rather than the scum buckets who have no problem rapping your mangina.