Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have I become a conformist?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Chev, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Well I'm going commando today because I didn't want to be a conformist.

On this site a flathead would be conformist, SBC just screams Rebel around here.

tb33anda3rd, kiwijeff, LSGUN and 2 others like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly.

Deuce Chev likes this.
  3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I like where you're going with this, stay with it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Deuce Chev likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That looks like Dicks work. Perfection...........

Deuce Chev likes this.
  5. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Looks like some good choices all the way around. Good to see the boy lending a hand.

Deuce Chev likes this.
  6. Great engine and trans choice for your 32 Chevy! Glad your son wants to be involved, great learning experience.

kiwijeff and Deuce Chev like this.
  7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Too much information, beano.

kiwijeff and Deuce Chev like this.
  8. LOL someone was paying attention.

Deuce Chev likes this.
  9. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Since the 32 Chevrolet is known as the Confederate Series, Be all the Rebel You Can Be. Seriously, I would like to find a 327 to go in one of my Chevy Builds. My first SBC was a 283 Power Pack and it was stuffed into a 1939 Chevy in the mid 60's. Have Fun and keep us posted.......... Jeff

Deuce Chev likes this.
  10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I'm not much of a Chevy guy, but I don't believe Chevy put flatheads in 32 Chevys, so a flathead would be pretty radical...
    A Chevy motor in a Chevy car screams conformist, adding the stovebolt would have been total conformist. Changing to a 327 its a logical transformation, so I guess we will let it slide.
    Besides all that, your helper makes everything your doing there, right in my eyes. You sir, are building the future, and that's a lot more important then building cars, though building cars is OK too. Gene

Deuce Chev likes this.
  11. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Some pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and AHotRod like this.
  12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

327 is a great choice

13. The last engine in my 40 Coupe in the late '60s ( before I sold it) was a 283 power pac. Had nothing to do with conformity or the lack there of, I had the 283 and thought it would be better to have it running then setting.
    Anyway small world indeed.

33sporttruck likes this.
  14. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Chevy in a Chevy is cool. In an early '30's Chevy even better. I have to admit though, I would walk farther to check over a I6 than a s.b.

15. Well I hate to admit this because it makes me a nonconformist, but I would not give you the time of day for an inline 6. I was born too late and into the wrong family to be impressed by a grocery getter mill. :eek: :D

28A likes this.
  16. studebaker46

studebaker46

porknbeaner I have to agree totally with you about the I 6 in the 60s you could drive 6cyl chev to school but park in the back of the lot Tom

17. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

porknbeaner, You are right about the 6. My 39 Chevy had a 54 Chevy 6 in it when I bought it. Drove it for almost a year before the 283 Power Pack went in. It was my first ride and I really miss the car almost 50 years later..... Jeff

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry to further hijack this thread , but ;)

I hate to disagree with porknbeaner and studabaker46 , but I have to agree with Chevy Gasser . I would CERTAINLY walk past a sea of SBCs to look at a rod done differently , like one rockin' a straight six ... as a matter of fact , I HAVE made that walk ! There's just something great about thinking outside the box .

19. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I would never park a 6 cylinder powered Chevy in the back row. Careful what you say. I've been dusted more than once by an Inline when I was driving a v-8. Now I drive an inline 6!

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I can't think of a better choice for that car

it's a perfect choice

well...
    I would think twice about those headers though,
    if it were me I'd look at some early style headers
    like McMullen used
    and keep them inside

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Deuce Chev likes this.
  21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Paul Tri Ys are the only way to go, nothing more traditional then a set of tri Ys.

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Some of the 6l being built now a days couldn't be considered grocery getters, especially in OZ....I can't remember exact details but 4.2 and 400hp Ford version a few years ago, but to each his own.....

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

Glad you made the choice to go with the 327, you'll be glad you did.

AND

I totally agree with Paul regarding the header choice, don't use those lake-style headers, at least use a set from the early Corvette's and go inside the frame (Hedman Headers part number 68300).

I built lake-style-headers for my Coupe 16+ years ago because I thought they looked cool, but I'm so over them. They in no way are contributors to a good torque curve for the engine........... I'll stop now.

Deuce Chev likes this.
  26. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Ok, now I have to find some real headers. On the bright side... A big box showed up today with a Fenton intake from Dicks Hot Rod Place.

[​IMG]

27. The Hemi bit had me laughin my ass off. I'm still laughin, love it.
    Wish I could afford a Hemi. :D
    Growing up in the 70s and 80s, SBC was the favored engine for hot rods.
    Im not big on hot rods running same brand power plants, and really enjoy seeing the different trad engines like Nailheads, Olds, Pontiacs etc.
    Sbc's have become a little boring for me, except for 327s, which were always favoured.
    I like your plans for the 32.

Deuce Chev and wingnutz like this.
  28. GRX

GRX
    from MD

Having an I6 in my old chevy truck people do walk past a sea of SBC just to look at my greasy old 250. Because they are a novelty anymore. The 327 is great plant for sure. I have built some real high revving screamers. But to most average joes at shows it's just another chevy small block. Saddens me to see so many old rides, especially pre-wars cars, with yet another crate engine. Which yours definitely is not.

Deuce Chev likes this.
  29. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Block is home from the machine shop, tanked and mag tested. All is good, heads will be back next week. So now for some color, since this is a "mid 60's" build, I'm thinking just the basic Chevy orange on the heads, block and pan. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

30. I bought a 1967 Chevelle from a lady that factory ordered it with a inline 6 and automatic,,the best day owning that car was pulling that 6 and installing a 327,,much better car with a V8. HRP