Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Haulin Heaps

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gahrajmahal, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Recently I’ve been going through my library of books and magazines, clearing out the ones I don’t want anymore and I came across the August 2006 edition of Rod & Custom. Located inside was an article by Thom Taylor with illustrations for some awesome custom pickup trucks having the general idea of grafting passenger car rear ends to the haulers. My question and request: have any, of you built one of these renderings? If so photos would be appreciated along with a link to a build thread if there is one. I don’t see anything I didn’t love.
    33C07AF7-9EB2-46E3-BA42-8C6C0712AC65.jpeg

F5E108A6-D403-4D81-9B4C-B4D54C5AA0C6.jpeg

CE2C2476-A93F-4FF6-B4C5-FE55D1C9004E.jpeg

2. Jeff Myers RIP built a cool Stude custom in this style

[​IMG]

3. Stop the Stude madness...........

kidcampbell71 likes this.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

6. Here’s mine

Attached Files:

7. I haven't built one, but I have an F100 and a set of '58 Plymouth wagon 1/4's that I've been rolling around in my head to make work into a Dream Truck-ish contraption and that teal blue one in the first pic really speaks to me....

chryslerfan55 and Torchie like this.
  8. Jokester

Jokester

Why not just build a car?

9. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Because then it wouldn't be different.

10. I have some misc 57 Dodge truck cabs and parts floating around as well as a 59 custom Royal parts car...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, Torchie and drdave like this.
  11. Building pickups with car styling isn't that common and the results can either come out looking really cool or really FUBAR. Cars made into pickups have been more common, again with mixed results.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Not a custom pickup, but a factory truck/car built in Uruguay or somewhere.
    upload_2021-4-15_10-41-16.jpg

13. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

This showed up on the “Kustoms Blues” thread and I love this! EDCE8F0A-02D3-40B1-AA02-F3622C233F54.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. @brewsir hasn't posted here in a few years but this is the infamouse Batfink

[​IMG]

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

That thing spent a few weeks in my garage, many moons ago. Miss those days.

16. Yup, remember him on Junkyard Wars?

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, long time ago. He used to come to Norman to USPS training facility for his job. He would come hang out for a few weeks and the Batfink had to make an unscheduled stop at Roothawg Ranch. Something broke, I can't remember what. I have housed so many hambers over the years, they all run together.

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  18. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Reminds me of the dream vehicle art work in the Kanter parts catalog. Their website www.kanter.com does not have the artwork on this as I recall but it does have a link to request a paper catalog on their vintage vehicles. Mostly covers vehicles up thru the 50's. Jimmie

19. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I started a '59 F-100 based on ideas from that article... had to abort the build due to moving to the west coast from Chicago. The kid I sold it to changed direction & is building it into a bagged scraper.
    The sky is the limit though, & if you use a careful eye, quarters from a car of the same era can pretty easily be made to look right. My advice: Do it!

20. indyjps

indyjps

Good stuff. Im used to seeing 4 doors that get cut into a short weird looking truck, it usually doesnt work out.

But, If I found a car with a solid back half, Id probably build the car.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  21. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Yeah, that '57-'60 F-100 w/ '58 car quarters looks like it could've been factory... that's the one I wanted to build.

22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, and you used to see a lot of Wagons cut up into El camino/rancheros...but with the outrageous popularity/prices of wagons these days.. .not a great idea anymore.

indyjps and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. chriseakin

chriseakin

I Have a '57 IH - an ordinary stepside. They did make a special golden anniversry model that was a fleetside, not sure where they got the quarter panels from, but I've always thought quarter panels from some 59 sedan would look right (or at least good) on it. I even thought if it was a flat top type GM sedan, the roof might make a good bed cover Just getting my project off the ground is taking too long though.

24. No picture, but Plowboy put a car rear on his 34(?) Chevy truck.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. I like the thought of doing something with '65 big Ford quarters mated to a stepside bed behind a '57-'60 Ford cab.

26. indyjps

indyjps

Trying to envision it from pics without measurements. Not sure how the stepside would work. Thoughts on slab side.
    The truck has a feature line below the door handle, so does the galaxy, you could have the feature line at same height. But, the galaxy quarter is much shorter from feature line to bottom of the panel and would need to be extended down.
    Height above the feature line on the galaxy may line up with the line below the rear window which would be nice, if is off an inch or 2 it could look "notchy".
    The feature line itself is stepped on the truck, where its a raised ridge on the galaxy.
    The front wheel arch would be wide truck on front and galaxy on rear......unless you sectioned in the galaxy fender arch on the truck fender...hmm thats pretty sweet.
    This is a very cool concept, theres a lot of panel sectioning to get it all lined up.
    sc0515-214208_3@2x.jpg sc0512-125311_2@2x.jpg

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys should run some of these ideas over on the "photoshop" thread...those guys over there as amazing:D

28. I always thought of sticking either 55-57 Chevy Nomad/Wagon back half onto a 55-57 Chevy pickup could look cool. If you section and chop the pickup cab down to get the proportions of the cab closer the car and then add the beauty line of the pickup cab down the wagon quarter and have it fade off before the tail lights. Think this would look the best with a 55 Chevy nomad quarter, especially with the taller wheel well they had. Then you would just run the wagon tail gate and rear bumper.

In the original post the use of the packard is a neat idea and would look really neat in person as well.