Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hauled a motor 200 miles & haggeled about price

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Apr 27, 2011.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

Elsewhere today someone was told they had cancer.

2. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

33rdanda3rd - you said it right - slap his parents!:mad:

3. tooslow54

tooslow54

Profound...yet with that reasoning we'd never have any posts on the HAMB other than "... just got diagnosed with cancer" or "RIP..."...

4. bob308

bob308

well i have had carlisle spacies for over 25 years. the one that gets me is when they come up and say i am a dealer and offer me half what i have on the part. my answer is what do you think i am?

5. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Ya want too teach a guy a lesson, I was swaping at a meet many yrs ago had a mess of mos mouldings gm did not have a book so I did not know what they were nor did i care free stuff I got years before this hot shot walks up pulls out a book and starts digin cool make s a pile I tell him 20 a piece he was a dealer he tells me I ,m nuts he,ll give me 5 I say wont work calls me a prick so now the good part, 10 or so mldgs I got them in my hand look him right in the eye flod the son of bitches over my knee and tell here now ya can have them then I tell em yep I,m nuts here boy ya shold a seen the look on his face we laughed the rest of the weekend and theres many more with hemi stuff, had a 3 duce manifold I know what it is, haul it around for like 4 yrs i,m at a meet guy comes up like 8 times, checkd it out tell him the price it was like 550 then his bails but cool say it is just too much next year same meet , same guy he says how much this year I tellem 650 he looks me right in the eye and peels out 650 and says I guess I should have bought it last year, shit I almost drop the price he was a cool guy I love the meets met some of the coolest guys at them

6. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

...this thread just confirms my assumtions that 75% of the worlds population are indeed are always either looking to rip some one off or just plain stupid....

7. DMFB

DMFB

I would have told the guy to f* himself, and went home with my motor. I can't stand douchebag tools like that. I will never understand the logic of most people. He should have manned up and gave you the 250 AND 50 for gas/time. Thats what I would have done, and I'm sure you would have done too. On the bright side, if you needed the cash, you have 220 more than you did. We've all taken a loss, and there is a shitty story that accompanies them all.

8. 1930u

1930u
    from midwest

I had a really cool Essex Coupe and sold it to a guy on eBay. I hauled it to the other end of the state and the buyer pulled the same crap. He tried to beat me down on the price he agreed on. Needless to say it got ugly quick. Lesson learned for sure!

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I was at the swap meet with my car when a guy stops by and says, "Pull the sign, the car is sold!". We exchange info and he says he'll stop by later. Later that day, he shows up with his brother and we go for a ride. After we come back, he starts hemming and hawing, so I say, "Excuse, I have to put the car away, good bye!". I ended up selling the car to my neighbor for $2K more..........The first guy calls and asks if I've come down in my price. I told him sorry, it sold. That felt so good.

10. indianhead74

indianhead74

I know times are tough and I'm a gray beard, but a good buddy of mine has coined a term he calls" the code of iron''Basically it says don't" F" your your fellow car-guy over. I't s pretty simple. If you've got something that somebody really needs , give him the call, before you throw it on e-bay . Now, I'm not saying that you should't make a profit on parts . we all know scroung'in and pulling stuff out of the weeds is' nt easy set'in up at the swaps and haulin stuff around is a pain and expensive. And guys, It works both ways, If your buddy gives you a deal on '55 Pontiac Starchief trim don't put it in the classifieds for triple the money!Indy

11. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

...i was selling a pair of $400.00 tires with no more than 20 miles on them,(didnt fit my OT car) the other day on craigslist for$200.00 firm for a quick sale.

guy calls ,we talk for a lil bit ,real polite,he's 80 miles away but said he wanted them,asked if i was coming his way anytime,told him no because of my work schedule, ask me to text him more pics, i do,then he decides to start texting instaead of talking, ,asking me my what my bottom dollar is after my not only my add saying firm and then telling him on the phone i am firm,,then lowballing me after 4 or 5 text he tells me he will by them if i meet him half way, i tell him i might be able to on the next weekend(he called on a sunday night) if they arent sold by them, he texted back "LOL" .....sold them the next morning to the next guy that called....priceless was getting to tell the guy i sold them the next morning after he called me a few days latter...

12. ScottV

ScottV

The reason I was banned and no longer use E-gads is a few years ago I bid on and won a Willys Aero 2 door. I contact the guy and ask for his address. He writes back, send me a check first. I write back, I am going to bring cash when I come to pick it up. I knew where the car was because a couple years before I had seen it while going throught the town for work. He writes back, no send me a check and I'll send you my address, of course I respond that I will bring cash when I come to pick it up. A couple more times back and forth and it just doesn't seem right, then I get an E-mail from Ebay saying there was a complaint ... Blah,blah, blah. I sent them copies of the E-mails and any other related correspondense ... they still banned me, doesn't seem to have effected my life too much !!!

13. krayola

krayola

You lose a day of work yet you're putting him out?!

As to the original posting, dude, you're a good guy just got to remember a lot of people only look out for themselves. It was a crappy thing that dude pulled. A deal is a deal.

14. Yeah, me too... :D

15. Chally

Chally

I get 10 miles a gallon with my pig truck. 200 miles is 20 gallons of gas. $4 a gallon is 80 bucks off the top…

As much as I like a quick sale and as much as I try to help I just can’t do that half way stuff anymore. If you want it bad enough you just have to make the trip to get it. By the way all my lifting equipment is here and not half way there…

My buddy’s dad use to say “there is an ass for every seat” so there will be another ass willing to go the distance if this one doesn’t…

With that being said thanks for being a good guy and helping. Lesson learned…

16. gsport

gsport

if someone wants something bad enough, they'll come to you.....

17. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I was selling an off topic car, 1st customer offers me 25% of my asking price.
    no thanks.
    the guy tells me "you can call me in a week when its not sold maybe I'll buy it"

2 hours later customer #2 arrives, looks at the car and buys it for my asking price. no hassle, done deal.
    2 days pass and the 1st customer calls me and says he will "take the car off my hands for his original offer"
    I tell him the car has been sold and he loses it, he tells me has must have the car and offers me my asking price.
    sorry, its SOLD!
    he asks for the phone number of the buyer, I told him good bye.

it was nice to win one for a change.

18. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I drove 300 miles ready to make a trade for a '57 belair and '58 olds convertable...guy flaked out. Dad was pissed and made fun of me the whole way home.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

19. buickbybirth

buickbybirth

It seems that people don't understand the term "firm" nor do they respect "fair market value." I use to run with a screw ball that made his living beating people down. He said to me one day, "The problem with you is you give 10k for a 10k car. You should be giving 10k for a 15k or 18k car. All you have to do is offer enough suckers the cash and someone will need it bad enough to take it" No doubt he always stole the car if he purchased it but I simply didn't have it in me to go to the lenghts he did to save or make a buck. I personally think such people are a crying shame to the hobby and to the human race. If the price is fair and its what I want I will pay the price. If the price is out of line and I want it I make my offer and explain why I'm offering less. My goal is not to offend or take advantage. If they can't come down because of what they have in it or I can't go up because it's not worth it; thats fine. It's my hobby not my living.

20. if some one is serious they will drive th whole way, i found an engine about 2 or more hours away from me, i wanted it,he wated a vairy fair price,i didnt haggle, or ask him to meet half way, i told im ill be ther with the full amount...ended up picking up the motor and spending th rest of the day by the ocean in the town,got my motor,and had some nice sights,the same day..

just got to ask, how was his halfway less? thats not halfway then.

21. rusty bill

rusty bill

When someone starts being an ahole at a swap meet-I just tell them -here's a buck-go away!

22. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

RDAH...I think youre a good guy and you were doing the right thing...like others have said here, our hobby and the HAMB needs guys like you. The only piece of unsolicited advice I can give you is to make everything crystal clear up front. Life is full of hard knocks you can read all the stories above. I would have just told the guy upfront...Look, I will meet you at xyz place, but the price is firm...are you ok with that? Do you need to know anything else about it? I have also said something like this..."I dont want to be in the position of having driven for along time to be offered less than we agreed on...I will not sell it for a penny less" You can even say it in a joking manner...or with a chuckle in your voice...but the point is made. DONT PULL ANY SHIT!

23. Ramblux

Ramblux

Man, I run in to these types at least a couple of times a week. I'm the opposite way to a fault. I've agreed to buy things, then not needed them a couple of hours later (a friend comes through with what I need, I find a better one, etc.) but I still buy the item because we made a deal. I then turn around and sell whatever it is and try to get my money back. Sucks for me, but there are so many people out there who don't keep their word that I feel like I have to take up some of the slack. I just need to be more careful before making deals I guess. lol

24. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

And someone else was told that they were cancer free.
    What's your point?

25. 2006 i sell my 55' 2dr. sdn. on the bay and agree to drive 800 miles to meet buyer because i was working there (didn't tell buyer that) so i show up 4 hours early at my co-workers place and his neighbor sees the car and says "hey i'll take it if dude flakes out and throw in return airfair on top!" cool! so dude shows up and starts being a flake picking the car apart and i tell him "your fucking deposit is non-refundable" and walk away towards neighbors house and he is standing their with cash in hand and i yell this dude flaked on me and his wife yells "we will take it come on back!" she said car was for her and was pissed he even tried that bullshit and i said "that makes 2 of us!"

26. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

When are you guys gonna learn? Half of theese people on craigslist are direspectful idiots. Every one it seems like theese days when you put a price on something. They think there automaticly gonna get it cheaper. I know this guy was trying to be a kind helpfull hot rodder and met the guy half way. Only to get taken advantage of because this other guy thought he had him by the balls for driving half way. It just pisses me off. I woulda told the guy. Im keeping it. later dude. Bet you he would of gave you what you were asken. After all he did drive half way also to go back empty handed. Thats just me thoe. Im stuborn. When you dont know them. Tell them to show up with the cash and your firm on the price simpal.

27. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Thanks guys, after being jerked around for 3 days with questions and talking to lonely car guys about what they have and what they did in the last 10 years I was glad to get rid of it.
    Maybe the guy will sell it for 500 bucks and get more than 10 teeth in his mouth.

28. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Glad it's gone, after listening to lonely car guys for 3 days tell me what they have and what they did in the last 10 years. Hope the guy sells it and gets more than 10 teeth in his mouth.

29. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

buddy, you just made my day.