Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hate to do it but....can anyone ID these gauges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas Giant, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

When I got my boat, it came with a set of the coolest looking gauges I have seen in a long time. Now these gauges weren't installed IN the boat, nor were they ever installed in the boat, they just came in a box of boat-related stuff the seller gave me when I bought the boat.

If possible, I'd like to use them either on the Bel Air since they look so vintage/retro. However, finding senders may be a problem, and I can't for the life of me find anything on the gauges that gives me a clue who made it. Other than a Made In The USA stamp on the back of the tach, which kind of tells you how old they are.

[​IMG]

If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it. Or, if anyone knows a way to determine how to find out what ohm range senders I need for the temp and oil pressure gauges - perhaps by measuring resistance across the terminals - I'm all ears! (I'm sure the voltmeter, which isn't pictured, works the same as any voltmeter ever made)

Tach - well I have no idea there. Should I just hook it up to my coil and ground like most other tachs and see what happens?

Anyway, thanks in advance!

2. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Well, found out from someone on another side that these are old Chris Craft boat gauges, in case anyone is interested.

However, the tach was originally meant for an inboard 4 cylinder engine - does anyone know a way to make a 4 cylinder tach behave with a V8?

3. Take out half the plugs??

Cosmo

4. lorodz

lorodz

ill take the tach if you dont like it ( lol )

5. yeah no kidding
    that would be a cool piece for my banger
    tk

6. 58custom

58custom

A neighbor has some likt that on his 1970's Searay boat. The gauges are for marine use but I don't know the manufactuer. I always thought they were cool looking.

There are tach adapters on Ebay.

7. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

try calling a couple vintage gauge shops...used to be on some of the old tachs that worked on 4,6, or 8 cylinders there was a resistor you'd cut to change the reading, so maybe one can be added or removed.
    Probably an easy fix with a little leg work.

8. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

you could send them to Nissongers in New York they can usually rebuild and modify Tachs.

9. saltracer219

saltracer219

Ya, old Chris Craft marine. I have some of those gauges I would part with.

10. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Before I start contacting vintage gauge places, would I be able to use this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BAKE...deQQitemZ160428880862QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Says it cuts the tach signal in half - I am assuming that since a tach doesn't send a signal anywhere, it just receives one, that I would want to cut the signal in half if I wanted to run a 4 cylinder tach on a V8. But, I've never done anything like this before and could easily be wrong.

11. This would be my inclination also.

I have an old pedestal mounted Smiths tacho from the 60's . I have used on 4,6 and 8 cylinder engines. There is a removable plastic cover on the back and is shows some of the circuitry. It shows connection points for either 4,6 or 8 cylinder settings. I always had the instrument techs do this to ensure proper operation.

You could well find something similar inside. Tachometers are usually a one size fits all type approach and have the capacity to be internally adjusted to suit different applications.