Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone used a Dakota Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gumpa, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Gumpa

Gumpa

We just got the frame out from under the Dodge a week or so ago and found all but the suspension Crossmember and the one for a trailer hitch have been cut out so we picked up a 1989 Dodge Dakota Frame with suspension for $65. and we are wondering if anyone else has used a Dakota frame under a late 40s mopar. Gumpa

2. arkracing

arkracing

Used the front clip from a Dakota in a '41 Dodge Truck if that helps you any:rolleyes:

3. draggin breath

draggin breath

I checked one out to go under a '48 Stewed;would work OK because of the rack and pinion location. Will fit where S-10 steering is a problem. There is a '41 Nash locally that has had the dakota swap for years'the owner went with a OD because the dakota had 3.73's.

4. I read somewhere (Mopar Action) that the first gen Viper used the Dakota front end as the basis for its front end. So, it can't be all that bad, right?;)

Jay

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa

6. guiseart

guiseart

7. 38mag

38mag

I have one under my 38 Plymouth coupe, it is a 93, I used the complete chassis including the engine, OD tranny & rearend, the wiring harness,dash and seats. I did install air-ride. The car has got 2 Goodguys picks, the Low Lid pick at 2003 Columbus and the Mopar pick at 2005 Goodguys Hershey. The car handles and drives great.

8. 39plymouth

39plymouth

38 mag id love to see pics of this specially build if u have it i have a 39 im working on and am planning to use a dak frame and air ride... thanks

9. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Helping a friend with a 38 Plymouth 2-dr. Dakota front clip with 318 engine. Hasen't been on the road yet but seems to be a great setup. My only concern was the angle on the steering rack shaft. Solved with a couple of U-joints.:D

10. 38mag

38mag

I didn't take to many pix when I was building, here's a pic of it finished.

Attached Files:

11. got one underneath my 53 Dodge truck, see avitar. Bud

12. N2OLDTIN

N2OLDTIN
    from Oak Hills

Nice car. I would also love to see other pics. I have a 36 Plymouth I'm starting. I'm goinig to start looking tomorrow for a dak frame. any ideas what year frames i should stay away from? Thanks for the info... I was just about to order a mustang 2 front end from speedway before i read this post.

13. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I'm hoping for some frontend pics as well. I'm thinking of using a 1987 dakota frame on my 1940 studebaker. Might just go the front stub route. I'd appreciate it if anybody that has done this could post a few pics of the bare front part of the chassis. I'd also be happy if somebody that has one of these could grab some measurements for me.

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

16. Ruiner

Ruiner

Don't throw that stock frame away...someone might have the ambition to fix the crossmembers and use it...

17. Larry T

Larry T

Here's the one I'm gonna try to put under my 56 Ford pickup. After measuring, I think I can cut the frame horns off right in front of the crossmember/rack. Then I can stub the framehorns and front crossmember off my 56 frame. That will give me the mount for the radiator support, locate my front end and have the bumper mounts.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Diehard32

Diehard32

Are you planning on keeping the IFS as is on the dakota chassis?

I have a 89 dakota frame set aside to mount a '38 Chevy PU cab on and am torn with cutting the front clip entirely off or leaving the IFS.

Also, will a 904 tranny mount to a 318?

19. jtownnewbe

jtownnewbe

Dakotas have a lovely suspension setup, but I consider them the track width too wide for 40's and early 50's car and trucks. The track width restricts one to the use of wheels which have little or no offset and and may not look right to you or may rub the fenderwells if you plan on going low.

20. Larry T

Larry T

Yes, I'm going to use as much of the Dakota chassis as I can. The stock frame that was under the 56 when I got it had been SEVERELY butchered, it was cracked in other places and rusted through in still others. And since I'm planning on using the truck as a daily driver and to tow my Anglia to the track, I wanted to upgrade (I know that can be a dirty word around here) to IFS, power steering, disc brakes, etc. I wanted to lower the 56 a little too and this chassis will lower it without modifying the stock suspension. Gonna try to use the stock Dakota gas tank and metal bed floor. I'm going to try to adapt the 56 bed sides, tailgate, etc. to fit the floor. I'm leaning toward using an 8" Granada rear end since it will tuck the tires in a little after I move the springs under the frame rails.
    Also, I'm not real fond of the stock rear cab mounts on the 56, so I'm putting the rear cab mount off of the Dakota (in picture) under the 56 cab.
    I don't know about the Dodge engine/transmission deal since I'm planning to run a SBC/700R4 in this. I guess that should keep everyone happy (or piss everyone off), got parts from each of the Big 3 for the Mutt.
    I've got to agree with checking the track width before you start, I've seen lots of cars with clips put under them that didn't work very well. Frame changes would be the same.
    Larry T

21. chopper99

chopper99

I've seen this car and it looks better in person than it does in the pic, which is pretty damn nice.

22. 73RR

73RR

The 904 was designed only for the small block.:) Most 88 and newer trans are A-500 O/D

23. Here's the 49 (?) Dodge truck that I am going to be placing on the 95 Dakota's frame... It is / was a one or two ton chassis though, so it has the fender flares & running boards / steps. I am a little worried about how low that the cab will sit on the Dakota frame, but at least I'll be able to leave the suspension more "stock" without having to bag it or to put dropped spindles on it.

If anyone would like to give me some advice on using the Dakota firewall and floorpan under the rest of the 49 cab, please PM me a phone number and I'd LOVE to talk to you some night. I have seen MoparMan4GZUZ and some others who have done this, but I think that I have a few too many questions to ask via PM's and e-mail. I've taken a lot of measurements between the two trucks, but wonder a little about the fore & aft alignment more than anything at the moment.

Attached Files:

24. 57dodge

57dodge

Those Convertible Dakotas are rare, you should've found differnt Donor Truck :D:rolleyes: