Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone tried registering a street rod in Maasachusetts in 2012 yet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Mar 23, 2012.

1. revkev6.................I would guess they will say yes to you.

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Cayager, the question has already been answered and your disdain is only making the situation worse to the point where the thread gets closed, one already has for ALOT less!
    These "aholes"? who are you talking about?
    The DMV was handed this law and had to figure it out themselves.
    The State Police are trying to do what they do and accommodate the extra work load.

3. cayager

cayager

your right everyone is in the same boat. post deleted

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

5. The sticker went on the inside of my A pillar near the top hinge.
    Unnoticeable unless you're really searching hard for it.
    The State Policeman did carefully apply it rubbing it on with a soft rag and afterwords politely asked me to take it home and seal the edges with some clear to ensure weather, wear and tear don't chip it off.
    Kind of a pretty metallic blue and chrome looking tag, looks nicer than my original Henry issued very-aged tags. (Still not too proud of it though).

6. oddrodd

oddrodd
    from Michigan

Do you think receipts were because of the antique plates assuming you had converted to a street rod since initial registering as an antique? My 34 street rod was registered with the registry blue book value of some rather obnoxious amount using passenger plates. Car is as bought, no receipts. Any idea if that will get taxed again?

7. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I do not rember the exact words as stated in the law concerning applying for a vin for a home built car / non manufacture built car. But it says receipts for major componets are required. I guess it is all part of the potentonal for stolen parts/ cars/ chop shop stigma in Massachusetts. All these rules/regulations/laws can be found on Dmv/Rmv website. Over regulated by the state ? Yes it is.

8. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I noticed that a few friends have registered ther project cars before the Apr 30th deadline.
    They registered then as regular cars, not street rods. Will they fall under the grandfather clause, not being called "Street Rods"?

9. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Is there a grandfather clause?

10. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

You will be assimilated. Resistance if futile. The end is near.

11. Fenders

Fenders

This is not about too few digits in the VIN -- I say this because getting a new VIN does not according to the law apply to an original, stock car, only to a modified car. An original, stock car, it seems, would still use the original (short) car identification number. The MassDOT (RMV) should give you no grief about it.

Also, I recall when this law was proposed, everyone said oh cool, SEMA done good, now we can get a nice street rod or custom car license plate if we want.
    IF WE WANT? Ha, now it has changed to -- you modified your car? Now you GOTTA get a new vin with all the hassles and expense involved. Any you still won't get that nice plate !!
    Back in the day, we put a modern engine in our ride and NOTHING changed. Now you are fucked.

12. I went through the last few steps of making my '47 Ford Massachusetts DOT complying with Mass. rules.
    It cost me close to $2500 in taxes, fees, plate swap charges, inspection stickers, sales tax monies, plus numerous visits to the DMV, the DOT, State Police Salvage Center and many, many phone calls to the DOT, the State Police and Grundy Insurance.
    I also plate swapped out all my other "Vanity Antique" plates from other hot rods I own ( more money involved) and a total of 5 half days off from my job (I'm docked pay for this thankless task) and today I'm nearly done with this task.
    I go for a Mass State Safety Inspection after work today and fly through the process until the last step.
    The front and rear plates on my '32 roadster are non matching.
    The MORONS at the Mass. DOT gave me a pair of sequentially numbered plates.
    One plate ends in 8...........the other ends in 9.
    Now I've got to take more time from work, visit the DOT in Wilmington again and do another plate swap to get another inspection done.
    Now I'm really ANGRY.
    The Mass DOT ineptness will again cost me loss of a day's pay from my job, my sanity, and loss of faith in this new Mass. Street Rod, Custom Car bill that SEMA crammed through along with kit car manufactures and overzealous law makers.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  13. I don't see any fairness to street rodders or custom car guys yet in this new law.
    If what the registry say is true that they're inspecting our cars to look for stolen parts, why not check the real problem and go after the owners of the cut-up Honda's, Toyota's and other low rider style imports.
    More stolen parts floating around in those circles than us old vintage car owners ever dreamed about.
    The salvage inspection makes sense to me on say....a reconstructed 2004 Civic Si coupe with a clip from a 2005 and an engine from a 2012 Acura, but an inspection on a 40's Plymouth or say a 35 Olds with a late drive-train.
    A waste of time, money and manpower in my small closed mind.
    Barking up the wrong tree sums up the new Massachusetts requirements.

14. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Sorry to hear about all the hassle you went through. At least the info you provided helps those that live in the state.

15. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I think that checking on stolen parts on an old car protects us and out friends from stolen hot rods that are chopped up, but how can an inspector tell that the serial number on a bill of sale of a part is ligite?

Say that you go in with a hand written scrap of paper,dated 1972 , that says that the 32 body was off of a serial #xxxxxxx car, and that you said you purchaced it off of a friend of a friend. What is the inspector going to say if that VIN was not stolen and you had picked it at random?

I just don't see where the proof is, or can be proved.

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, Roger it all seems very arbitrary and unreliable at best. a bunch of non-car people making decisions for car people.

and yes, i meant the dig. SEMA aren't car people. they are car parts resale people.

17. Fenders

Fenders

I don't think the problem is the law, it's the way the registrar and the RMV has interpreted and implimented it. MGL chapter 90 section 2I(a) and (b) say:

2I. (a) The registrar, prior to the initial registration of a custom vehicle, replica vehicle, specially-constructed vehicle or street rod, may require such vehicle to undergo a salvage-type inspection at a facility to be determined by the registrar to ensure that stolen parts have not been included in the vehicle.

(b) The registrar, prior to the initial registration of a custom vehicle, replica vehicle, specially-constructed vehicle or street rod, may require such vehicle to obtain a state-assigned vehicle identification number, unless the registrar is satisfied that there is a clearly visible state-assigned vehicle identification number that was previously assigned by the commonwealth or another state.

Note it says "prior to the inital registration"... the law does not apply to those cars already titled and registered.
    edited to add: but the RMV by their actions says it does.

And note it says the registrar "may require" a salvage inspection and state-assigned VIN "prior to the initial registration" of modified or replica vehicle -- the registrar could make the law much less onerous for those going for their first registration.

It would be nice if someone had the time and money to fight having to have an already registered rod or custom go through this. And for the registrar to re-think her rules.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  18. Swifster

Swifster

OK, for the next meeting, could someone ask whether the state will compensate for the loss of value in the car when you try to sell it? I'm in the insurance biz and if I was looking at buying a car and saw one of those tags on it, I would pass on the sale. Those little state issued VIN's make me think stolen car or other assorted issue. I wouldn't touch it.

Keep in mind I'm in Florida. Also keep in mind I see cars with MA license plates (even hot rods) down here alot. Let's face it, many of those cars will get sold out of state and will to a certain extent take hit when you try to sell it.

I would also think that in a state where emissions testing is done, a car listed with a 2012 title or state issued VIN may not pass as rules in various states will vary.

19. Fenders

Fenders

By the way, read MGL 90 section 2I ... the hot rod inspection is only to "ensure that stolen parts have not been used in the vehicle."
    It is NOT a safety inspection -- search the MassDOT site for salvage inspections.

The State Police should not be doing a safety inspection on rods and customs before issuing the VIN, they should just be looking at engine, frame and body numbers to check they are not reported stolen.

20. FivesDaddy

FivesDaddy

I'm not going to do anything about switching titles or vins...until the state gets there shit together...any money you spend now you won't get it back when they change it...I know some state cops and they said it won't effect anything that has been done already...they told me not to worry about it...we'll have to see how things go...

21. Fenders

Fenders

update -- not correct.
    Old unmodified cars may still use their original (short) VIN.

22. Fenders

Fenders

This is one way around the Mass. law if you moved to Florida and have a friend or relative with a Mass. home....
    don't drive the rod in Mass., drive it in Florida. Mass. state police and RMV inspectors won't be looking for you in Miami !!

23. Yesterday I left work and went to the DOT office with one more pair of ANTIQUE plates I removed from one of my street rods and did a plate exchange for another $48 for a set of normal red and white 6 digit plates.
    Pissed me off as I just paid for my ANTIQUE VANITY in November and it did have a cool word that Mia had picked out for her roadster.
    But, as you know, the DOT says we cant use those type of plates on street rods any more.
    I also handed back a new pair of plates they handed me last week because the pair had mismatched numbers for some reason.
    It all went smoothly this time although the line ahead of me was huge and again, I was docked for half a days pay for this senseless errand to please the Mass. D.O.T. and their recently enacted street rod rules.

Around dinner time last night a friend phones to tell me that he too was at the D.O.T. office Wednesday where he attempted to return all of his ANTIQUE TAGS, 9 sets of them!!
    Girl at the counter asks what going on with all these plates and he explains that he's going compliant with the new rules and wants normal PAN plates.
    She tells him he'll have to get all his cars inspected at the State Police Salvage Inspection center, she wants his titles back and informs him that he'll need to get all new assigned VINS for all NINE hot rods.
    My buddy Dave explodes and wants a supervisor. (Same crap I just went through for 2 miserable months with my collection of early metal).

Supervisor appears and she makes several calls to people at higher levels and finally a woman name Carol in Braintree at the title division is on the line and tells the Wilmington office and Davy to take back his ANTIQUE plates and to not worry about this situation.
    She apologizes for Davy's trouble and says everything will be ironed out soon.

WTF, this is not what I have been told for 2 rough months of this action and a lot of wasted money, sleep, and my own time regarding this whole matter.

Davy went on to tell me that he too was contacted by Kirby at SEMA this week and they too feel a gross misrepresentation of the SEMA bill has been laid on the Massachusetts hot rodders. (Wow, the light dawns over Marblehead finally!)

I really don't know what to think of this whole situation this morning.
    Is it right? Is this street rod bill wrong? Did SEMA intentionally set out to harm the back yard builder at the kit car builder's well being? Was the bill money or greed driven?
    And now, is the DOT really going to lighten up on us grass roots hot rod builders and hobbyist?
    I'm really puzzled tonight (and angry over the whole scene too.)

For the present I've decided to NOT SELL any of my hot rods to any person living in the state of Massachusetts as I don't feel comfortable with them going through the process Massachusetts put me through and I will not buy anymore new parts from any company who is linked to SEMA until appropriate corrective measures are introduced into this whole ugly legislative mess.

Again, Massachusetts has proven to me that it's not a state that is friendly to the automotive buisness and the street rod hobby.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  24. T-Faust

T-Faust

It is no more reasonable to think that anyone at the DOT is a "car guy" who understands the problems than it is to think that everyone at the FAA is a pilot and has his own plane. It is more likely that they think that "everyone knows the rules", you decided to go against the grain and now you expect me to help you out.

25. Do you think the window clerks at the various Massachusetts DOT offices are wondering what's with this run on recently returned ANTIQUE and ANTIQUE VANITY PLATES being tossed back to them.
    I'm curious as to how many have been returned this past month.

I gave them back 4 sets with one more set to go back later.
    Can we get a HAMB count?

26. Tomcats30

Tomcats30

I can tell you I got a sticker on a original car with a 11 digit VIN today.
    So the "stock" cars should have no problem getting stickers with the original VIN's.
    This car has regular antique plates...non vanity.

I was worried I might have to conform to the 17 digit VIN system.
    But that doesn't seem to be the case.

27. T-Faust

T-Faust

"I was worried I might have to conform to the 17 digit VIN system.
    But that doesn't seem to be the case. "

I don't think there is any law against shorter VIN's. It is just that they have been gone since, 1987? The DOT system just isn't geared for them anymore. So, what is the government solution? Make it your problem.<!-- / message -->

28. I spoke with our representative in SEMA late yesterday.
    He is located in California and listens for feedback daily on this matter.
    You may PM me for his direct phone number to tell your experiences with the new legislation.
    He feels a lot of injustice was done to the street rodders of Massachusetts when the bill was aimed initially at the KIT CAR MARKET.
    They are talking to Mass. DOT currently regarding gross misrepresentations of the new law.
    SEMA want to hear your feedback.

29. cayager

cayager

i hope this gets ironed out. im building a pro street model A coupe, and cant wait to have $30k wrapped up in a car to let it sit in the garage.

30. Most street rodders I've spoken to this week tell me if it's currently titled and registered in Massachusetts and you're running conventional PAN license plates you can still get a sticker thru April as long as the inspection station keeps their fingers off the drop down in the inspection computer that says KIT CAR.
    If they use conventional pass. car or truck you're good to go.
    Might take a little coaching on your behalf.
    If it's a rodded car or truck newly entering the system from another state or if it's a new build with no prior documentation then it's going to turn ugly fast.

Just be on your toes!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012