Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone tried registering a street rod in Maasachusetts in 2012 yet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Albie

Albie

Thats what I thought.. Must have got the wrong person at the DMV giving me the run around. My local office (Lawrence Ma.) is notorious for that. Guess I have to find the right person at the right time.

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

No mater how bad the Mass. Registry is today it is 10X better than they were 20 years ago.

3. I'm very sure about the date. I got the date from Terry Hayes of the Mass. DOT.
    You can email me on Wednesday or phone me before you leave and I can back it up for you.
    You can pm me for my cell number and I can provide you with Terry's direct phone number as well.
    It's also made mention of on the MAAC auto club site if you wish to check that too.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. stupid clerks. as for the vin number not being long enough to fit in their system. All you do is add zeros in FRONT of the actual number. I.E. 000000123456. All the computor cares about is if its little spaces are filled or not. Zero's are just space holders to a computor. P.S. I would try a different license office.

5. 32 hudson

32 hudson

yes in NH cars 15 years and older do not need a tittle. But there are forms for verification of vin /serial number and also requesting that a title be issued. There is also a form for assigning a vin number for a vechicle build. Alll this is posted as info/forms on the NH D.O.T site. I am still building my rod in Mass and I am watching this thread closely.

6. cayager

cayager

so if you buy a stock model A with a title then you tear it apart and build a rod and register it as a model A when does the problem come in? at inspection time?

7. oddrodd

oddrodd
    from Michigan

:eek:Any idea what happens to a previously titled car but never registered? Working on a father son project trying to hit the road for this summer. It was titled right away, as I always do, about 3-4 years ago. I'm sure the VIN could be an issue as it's a 1958 Hillman Husky Calif car with Calif issued VIN but here again, I have a valid MA title. Big block Chevy in the car from who knows where. Installing floors and firewall right now. I know Haggerty wants pictures for insurance so that's out. Don't know if I can register it now with normal insurance and switch to Haggerty later, or do normal insurance carriers require pictures or inspections now also? So am I screwed or what?

8. Pass some of that green soylent please.

9. FivesDaddy

FivesDaddy

Oddrodd...I wouldn't worry about the California attached vin...if you have a Mass title with that vin # it should be on your title...it might be longer than the orginal and start with the letters CA..it will be fine. I have a car with a vin # from the State Of Arizona and it's on my title...just don't remove it for any reason whereever they placed it. Check out JC Taylor for insurance, if they need a pic of your car, get a pic from a magazine and take a pic of it close up and send it to them...I know of two poeple that did this...it works. Engine...just say v-8 and it was in the car when you bought it. No engine pics...You can always say you modified it afterwards...After you get the insurance they won't ask you again...

10. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Big rule of thumb, never give dmv more info then needed, elections are in 8 months, now is the time to organize and find some politicians that will protect our hobby.

11. T-Faust

T-Faust

I bought a car from a car in RI, with a previous RI registration. They made me bring in a photocopy of the guy's driver's license to prove that he was from RI. I wonder if that was an "on the spot" rule of the DMV?

I forget the exact year, but up until the 80's sometime, you could walk into the DMV in Boston plunk down 50 cents and provide a name, address, plate number, and I suppose the VIN if youhad it, and they would give you all of the available information. Then the Privacy Law.

I don't get it. You can walk into the Registry of Deeds, and for free, find out when I bought my house, how much I paid for it, how much my mortage is, whether the mortgage is behind, whether any taxes are due, and more. Why are cars such a secret?

12. http://www.massautoclubs.org/

This is the link detailing a little more of the meeting at Foxboro with MAAC and the DMV on Wed. eve. the 28th of March. ( This Wednesday).

Hopefully this meeting will air some gripes regarding titling a street rod or a custom into the Commonwealth.

13. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Odrod, There will be no problem in Ma. if you bring in the title when you register it.[ They will not ask about the engine. They only want the sales tax, so bring your wallet and be repaired. A friend had about $20,000 in a Chrysler 300 and they charged him tax on a $60,000 car.< Hagerity will ask if the engine has been upgraded to a higher horse power and will charge you accordingly. (not much) Insuring hotrods is their business, they like them.<o:p></o:p>
    Don't use a picture of another car as suggested by someone, in case of a loss, you will lose, as in insurance fraud and you will be paying for the other guys car out of your own pocket.

14. cayager

cayager

i bought a stock model A last year. titled and registered it in october . no questions asked. i went with jc taylor. i had to send a pic but i think for the purpose of if i put the plate on another green model A pickup and crashed it youd have a hard time collecting when they have a pic of the original. im in the same boat though. im building another car, a model A coupe street rod. i have the title for it but wonder when the snag will come into play.

15. oddrodd

oddrodd
    from Michigan

I know it's been a while but if I remember right isn't the sales tax paid when I applied for the MA title? The MA title is dated 09 so it's been a while. I wouldn't use a picture of another car for insurance. I currently have Haggerty for my 34 5 window and know they required pictures. I know they will insure a car once it reaches a roller just not sure what stage is required to be enough to register.

16. i hve a copy of the sales tax i paid with my title

17. cayager

cayager

yes the sales tax is paid when titleing. they had my 29 pickup book value at about $ 9500. paid almost $600 sales tax. i love giving money to these dirtbags

18. gonzo

gonzo

I thought the state made it difficult and expensive enough already and I can't believe that they think hot rods are a big enough problem to warrant this much BS.
    Good luck this Weds.

19. buy cars with titles ... or know people .mass sucks .

20. 32 hudson

32 hudson

21. FNG777

FNG777
    from mass.

I love that response!

22. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I'm glad in live in Jersey. It's so friggin' easy to get a title :)

23. oddrodd

oddrodd
    from Michigan

How easy? I have a future project in the works and my daughter lives in NJ.

24. Spoke on the phone today with a higher up in the Mass. DMV.
    His opinion of the whole scene is it was good legislation on the part of certain Mass. auto clubs and SEMA.
    It turned into very bad legislation when other politicans and DOT people got their fingers on it and clubs and SEMA did not pay close attention to the fine tuning of the measures.
    Now we got a real problem he tells me.
    Check your weapons at the door on Wednesday night.
    like the DMV fellow told me today, "Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger".
    He'll explain problems to us, listen to our comments and hopefully we all get onboard with this situation and formulate a corrective plan.

25. Please read my rant I left tonight regarding the meeting tomorrow night at Pro Bass with the Mass. DOT and the MAAC organization.
    Search my posts for the most recent DMV failure to communicate with the street rod community.

26. T-Faust

T-Faust

That is the trouble with the "compromise" everyone seems to love these days. You get a good bill, then everyone has to jump aboard with hare brained ideas, then you have to "compromise" to get anything.

Why do we have to stick with this stupid "title from the beginning of time" idea? Every other state I know of has a reasonable limit. Then we make title info "private".

"Compromise is the failure of leadership" W. Churchill

27. T-Faust

T-Faust

The Secretary of State won't accept cash either, what happened to "legal tender for all debts , public and private".

I spoke with an Asst. Sec. of State about this. She went into a furor and offered more reasons (none very good) than a car thief going to jail. (Since one of the people at the counter laughed and yelled "We got another a**hole", I wasn't feeling so good either)

Why do I suspect that some cash is going South?

28. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Pushing this back tro the top. Time for hot rodders to unite and attend this meeting tonight Mar. 28 at Bass Pro shops at 7 pm.

30. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I will be attending the meeting. How many others are going ??