Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has anyone reproduced the early clear Hurst shifter knobs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark T, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Mark T

Mark T

I’m in need of a set these shifter knobs and I was wondering if anyone has tried to reproduce them?

Clear epoxy resin is pretty cheap but how the heck can the colors be separated in the mold like the originals?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Check with Speed Dawg custom knobs. They may be able to fab one. They may also have them.
    Speeddawg.com

Sent from my SM-T580 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. BJR

BJR

You just glue sheet plastic of the right colors together then cutout and shape.

Deuces likes this.
  4. Mark T

Mark T

I’ll check, thank you...

5. Mark T

Mark T

I never thought of that, I know that was very popular back in the 50’s and 60’s. Thank you....

Deuces likes this.
  6. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

If you want to try to mold one, you would pour one color, let it set, pour the next, etc.

Deuces likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Laminate them with plexiglass sheet. Glue it with methylene chloride. Don't know how you would engrave the shift pattern.

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Most plastic supply places have scrap pieces that they will give you or sell very reasonably.
    Check on Bing search for a local supplier.
    KK

Deuces likes this.
  9. Mark T

Mark T

Deuces likes this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

dana barlow likes this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As an alternative you can use the halves off of one of these. It won’t give the shift quadrant, but they do fit. 37E5B88F-F42F-40A7-83F5-AF6F687CEEBE.jpeg

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

A lathe and acrylic dont really work that well together. Unless you want to destroy your chisels and have really hot pieces of plastic sticking to your arms. Tried it. Not a fun party.

But that hurst would be easy to replicate with a few layers and some polishing. Could even suspend it, and resin pour around it and get a neat clear outer shell

town sedan and Deuces like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

I'm just imagining a clear acrilic Hurst "T" handle.....:)

15. I was thinking the same thing. Some where there is a toy collector with thousands of them. Probably worth more as a Yo-Yo though.
    Maybe one of the guys from the show me your shelves thread could make a trade.:)

Deuces, blowby and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a friend who makes custom pens on a mini lathe. He tried turning some from blanks he cut from acrylic bowling balls as an alternative to the exotic woods he usually used. He said the static electricity from the process made the shavings stick to everything in the shop. Took for ever to clean everything up. Never again.

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

2D2690A1-6664-46B6-8D1B-13E3F7F139DD.jpeg Make or I should say cast your own:D

18. Mark T

Mark T

continentaljohn and Deuces like this.
  19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We used to make shift knobs with Christmas tree ornaments and fiberglass resin. If you could find the right shape and size, do a pour, and then cut it in half for the side pieces, it "might" just work. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

continentaljohn, Deuces and deadbeat like this.
  20. I have "turned" a number of wood and/or resin shift knobs even though I don't have a lathe. First, I epoxy an insert into whatever basic lump I'm starting with and put a matching stud in the drill press chuck. (3/8 x 16, for example) Then I begin to rough shape with a cheese grater/wood rasp looking deal and progress to finer files and coarse sandpaper, and so on with finer grades until the piece is ready for a clear finish or final wax.
    The attached photo is of a wood/resin paperweight 'egg', point up, that I flipped point down, added the insert and re-shaped with the above drill press method.
    Craig4 (2).JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  21. I needed one of those RARE barrel knobs for my Mysterion clone. Incidentally the word "rare" means 'not popular in its time"! I finally resorted to buying a red one on ebaY, making a mold of the plastic cap and casting new ones in clear resin. Made a silicone rubber mold then I tried 'clear' polyester resin and 'clear' rigid urethane resin. The poly ones came out slightly yellow, urethane ones were water clear so I used those.
    Ed's knob
    interior shift knob original.JPG

my repro project
    interior shift knob 1.JPG interior shift knob 2.JPG

End ones are poly, middle ones are urethane
    interior shift knob 4.JPG
    My finished one
    10-26-2015 10-34-19 AM.jpg

22. In high school back in the '50's, the guys that took the arts and crafts class made shift knobs by stacking the acrylic and laminating the layers with colored glue or resin.

continentaljohn, jnaki and Deuces like this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    A couple of years ago, when we were doing some coastal road trips, my wife saw a cool Comet Station Wagon Woody in the parking lot of our resort hotel. The Kimpton Goodland is a classic place. It is done in a early 1960 style with the beach as a theme. The Ford Woody in the drive way and the Airstream Trailer situated right behind the woody, is to be used for people staying at the resort, shows the character of the place.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/accessories-on-your-vehicle.1153666/#post-13125887

We saw the Comet Station Wagon cruising down the main drag (State St.) of Santa Barbara's downtown area. Outdoor dining all along the street make it a perfect place to eat fine food and watch the cool hot rods and cruisers coming down the street.

Read the HAMB story post and click on to this website.

https://www.numnob.com/about/ It is a cool site and the colors of his products are pretty nice.
    https://www.facebook.com/numnobs/

Jnaki

upload_2020-3-25_12-25-57.png upload_2020-3-25_12-27-30.png

24. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Deuces likes this.
  25. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Did Hurst make that? I like it a lot!

27. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

No sir. I first saw a yo-yo knob shifter when Max Gearhead gave me one that was kinda cracked and faded. I didnt think it would last too long as it was and I used the plastic pieces as templates and made a pair of replacements out of red acrylic rod turned on a lathe and polished. (I cant find a picture of it). It turned out more red than the pinkish transluscent as they came. So had an idea to make this out of a slice of polished stainless with the Die Cast car slicks, 20190423_204137.jpg with a decorative turned nut to put on a normal shift handle.

Kan Kustom, Max Gearhead and Deuces like this.
  28. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

20200326_205940.jpg

A few pictures that are a little bit better. Red acrylic is same profile and dimensions as the originals. 20200326_205940.jpg 20200326_205902.jpg 20200326_205730.jpg 20200326_205916.jpg 20200326_205713.jpg

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

If you want to try and machine acrylic use dish soap and water as cutting fluid. It helps the finish and cuts the static.

continentaljohn and UNSHINED 2 like this.