Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone REALLY street raced? (pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, May 13, 2006.

1. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Any thats raced around this area knew V Street in DC and Northern Parkway up in B-more. Both of my parents grew up racing the same street that I did. I've got pictures I can dig up from there when I was raising hell. Got a few before and afters of one of my cars that got run into a jersey wall at 100+. I have one somewhere of my mom racing her parents 40 Ford convertible and one with her after throwing the flywheel through the floor on her boyfriends 58 Biscayne.

The movies were the just initial coffin nail for actual street racing in this area. They were followed with gunfire to dispute races, cops being hit and run, and lost of bystanders being killed.

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Front Street in Philly ,,in the 80's. 68 Coronet ,68 Charger, 72 Cuda. Also ran the Charger at Englishtown a few times

3. skwurl

skwurl

V street was like racing on a cobblestone road.But we did it anyway. After the cops ran us out of v street. We went over to MD called it metro because of the station that ran along side of it. The IRS building was there too. I did northern parkway a few times. We went to frederick some. V street on wednsday night was the most exciting. Big money exchanged hands then. We also went down to Fredericksburg,Chantilly out by Dulles, Chantilly was killer in its prime.

I saw a hit and run at Metro. A dude in a mustang hit a Volvo. at abou120. Noone was seriousley hurt and he ran. A guy got hit by a mini van on V street. The van wasnt even racing. He never stopped. It got real bad after that. I guess around 97 98 was the last time i was there

4. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

If you were down at metro then you'd remeber the riot that broke out (one of several) before several accidents. One of which was a v8 s10 I had that hit the wall down the street(where the sharp left was). Damn wall still has paint smears from my truck on it.
    Those of us that had gotten busted down there paid for all the "no racing" signs they put up(One somehow ended up in my garage). At one point we would go from V street to metro and then onto MLK by Route 50 and block the whole freaking road south of the Crown station. Damn I was(still am) an idiot.

5. for shame , for shame , for shame!! you all grounded!! :D

6. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Back in the mid/late 60's I built this 48 as a street racer. With slicks I could pull the wheels off the ground and it was a low 12sec car with open headers and slicks. I cracked the frame, broke shock mounts on a regular basis.
    We raced for money.............not a lot by todays standards, but enough to hurt if you lost.
    Raced at Firestone, Terminal 4, and out hiway 84 in and around Portland, OR.
    I won some and lost some, but had one heck of time. I remember racing a 66 Nova, 327/350HP and loosing oil pressure (I won the race) and had to call my dad to come and tow me home.....................he wasn't too happy about that!
    It had a 340HP Corvette motor that had been given the "treatment". Loved that car...............wish I had it now. Scotty for Exhaust Specialties did the exhaust using Hooker ChevyII fenderwell headers (extended a little) and the 55 Chevy 1/2 ton straight axle. When great in a straight line, but turning radius was a little short. Oh yes, the back seat (when it was in) was as big as a couch............really great for "making out"!

Attached Files:

7. skwurl

skwurl

I saw some big fights. We ran Mostly turbo d hondas. took a lot of money from the mustang guys. Do you remember seeing cars with SPEEDLINE stickers on them?

8. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Think I remember a teal honda and maybe a mazda with that.

I also remember the rental viper doing donuts till it hit a limo some prom kids rented.

The fast mustang guys had already switched to the track only by then so most were the kids who thought burnouts were fast. At one point I would unload my tube chassis car at the wendys and drive it up when a race was set up. I have got to post the pictures when I get home.

9. skwurl

skwurl

SPEEDLINE was my shop in Manassas. I dont remember the viper limo incedent

10. blackout

blackout

Ditto. How about Augua Manza road, near Colton. Had the 1/4 mile marked off with paint, right on the road. 69 Roadrunner, 383 4 speed, black.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  11. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Cool thread, I have to say i really miss the Philly street racing seen from late 80's to early 90's. It didn't take long for the rice rockets and the local news to ruin a nice thing for alot of people. Even the cops would close the street down for us till it went public. Although I have to admit it was funny watching the guys who couldn't speak english except for the word "rotary" race dumb kids in 305 Camaros and take their money just out of pure ignorance. We used to have a couple of good roads here till development encroached.

Jon

12. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

1970- 75 , I would race on Central Ave in Minneapolis MN. I had a burnt orange 70 Challenger 340 mild build mid 13 sec.1/4 miles car. Life was so simple back then

13. bje31

bje31
    from Western PA

Street racing was alive and well in Western PA, 1966-71. Drags were held about 20 miles east of Uniontown every Saturday night. Crowds were as big as crowds at the strips near us, Keystone Raceway Park and Eldora-Fairmont Dragway. The faster cars were the Big Wedge and Hemi powered Mopars, 427 Fords, and the 409 and 427 Chevys. Once in awhile, a small block Chev stuffed in a 55 or 57 would win out, turning a screamin; 8000 rpms!!! Nothing sounded better than the stroked 283 to 301 or the modified 327 running 331 inches....Damn those were some great but dangerous times. Sorry no pics; only memories.

14. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Back in the late 60's the last thing in the world I would have wanted was someone taking pictures of my sleeper column shift 3 speed OD 57 Ford with a new 427/425 Ford in it. The object was to make money, not fame & noteriety, no advertising ! Now I wish I did have pictures of it, but I dont. No tach, no gauges, no loud exhaust, black walls with poverty caps, just another turd 292 and a squirrell that thought it could run with a small block 55-57 Chevy. Run it could !

15. OSHR

OSHR

Had a lot of fun back then over in compton after meeting at Naugles in Gardena. Had a 11 sec Mazda rx3 back then. Between School Teacher (who was my shop teacher in 8th grade) and Spoke or some of the other guys you mentioned there were some quick cars making passes on the street. Last time I went out a few years ago it was a circus. Cars are slower but the people driving them have no sense. Way too dangerous to go out and watch let alone race.

16. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Hell yeah. 1980-85 Corpus Christi, Texas. We hit the cruise every friday and saturday night at Sonic on Weber and Everhart. Then headed down to Ocean blvd. The military base would close the north gates at 10pm. The fishermen were gone by 11pm.
    It got pretty wild some nights. Mostly High school muscle cars.
    Brain had a 62 Nova II 4 door sleeper.
    My steps dads 67 Mustang was pretty wicked.
    We all had match races.
    Brain's Dad had a 427 Fairlane that was called out by a wicked out of town orange 34 5 window. The guy pulled into the school zone the friday afternoon by Brain's house and blistered a pass. Basically calling out the Fairlane. The fairlane had done 10 second passes at San Antonio drags.
    That saturday night the 34 rolled over the hill at the drags. The Fairlane was enroute; the 34 decided not to wait and called out a bike. Spotted the kawi 2 bike lengths and blew its doors off.
    They say it ran high 8's....no kidding.
    The Farilane showed minutes after the pass...no rematch.
    Then we had a early 80's econoline van pull in that was chopped and diced. Damn velocity stacks sticking out of the hood and the windshield.
    Then at about 3am the cops would roll over the hill and shut us down.
    Everyone acted some what responsible. No one died or went to jail. 4 lanes of road for two miles. Nothing on either side but water.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  17. To be honest, my only real "street race" was in my Mom's minivan, against my buddy Don's dad's fullsize van, on Main Street in Plymouth, MI late one night after we finished a shift at Bodes Corned Beef house. I don't remember the outcome, but it was the only "true" street race I ever had. Lame, but true. ;)

Now, I was out quite a few times in my 1979 Trans Am, when guys (usually in Mustangs) would pull up and ask for "a rematch from the other day."
    I went away for college, and was home on weekends, and all I can figure is my little brother (or, hell, maybe Dad) was out tearing shit up while I was at school, leaving me to figure it out. BTW, I bought the car back today, after it being somewhere else for about 10 years. She's rough, but...
    Neat thread, made me think of things I hadn't in awhile.
    Like Main St, "hang at the courthouse, so we know where you are" or going out to Curtis and Gotfredson... or Eckles and Amrhein... or the nights on Telegraph...

Wow.

Jay

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

raced over 80 times Lost once, tied once. Lost to a 71 chevelle, ls6 four speed car.

Attached Files:

19. Rickdef17

Rickdef17

20. Chevydeuce

Chevydeuce

Not exactly you asked for, but...
    been hunting those European Moderrn Shit Boxes on the Autobahn with this one...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ok this is an Swiss made car so it shows km/h but..
    [​IMG]
    Street racing a very fast 54 Chev from a buddy
    [​IMG]
    Car ran 14,2 with a 2,72 Posi rear 355SmallBlock
    Had a race with a Mercedes SLK 55 AMG downtown staurday night in Stuttgart. Bumper to Bumper. Driver was very surprised taht he couldn´t get rid of me...

21. biscaynes

biscaynes

good stuff sam!

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

i street raced an L79 327/325horse '68 chevelle back in the late '70's locally, it never lost a race.

Attached Files:

23. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

yes just a few years ago and probably again next summer, hwy 280 and warner rd. are the spots around here, all the ricers and a few muscle cars leave porkys and find a parking lot to meet at and set up. I would show up every now and then and wait for a race, hustled a lot of people, never lost, 4dr 78 malibu with black steelies, bfg drag radials, very built 355, th350 with a 3000 stall, 9" with mini spool and 4.56s, the trick is quiet exhaust and a stock looking car.

24. 46mopar

46mopar

Hell RC I did my share of racing right there in Westminster. 140 used to get pretty packed. I made my way down to northern parkway and the parknride by Lockheed Martin. When I was real young my Dad used to cruise and race mostly the areas around Eastern Ave. I remember the Circle and the Thunderbird drive-in.

25. 303racer

303racer

There was some great racing that use to happen around vaughan, Toronto, we meet at Dooley's bar and pool, on a sat night, and followed out with around 20 other guys and drove back into the industrials were there was always close to over a hundred cars and people.

Almost always a wide rang of cars from guys in blown hemis, to guys in their then new Ferrari's wanting in on the action, Fast cars, but they could never hook any traction
    but they still thought they had something to prove lol raced till dawn then drove back home, 2hours drive thems the days :)

Driver50x likes this.
  26. junk fiend

junk fiend

27. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

28. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

anybody from spokane remember crusing riverside then tearing it up out on pullman-colfax highway, or the other place to race the old highway out by the dump near 7 mile, baxter highway. i remember the 2 quick guys in town, one guy had a wicked 427 vette the other guy had a barracuda with a 440 and itd go back and forth between them every weekend, of course we mostly all ran 4 speeds. and we drove the damn things everyday! i drove a 66 goat 400/4 speed then later on a 67 goat 400-4 speed both of em were red. used to always race this bright yellow 429 scj mercury cyclone spoiler he was a fun guy to race, it seems like alot of people have lost the touch of the 4 speed these days what the hell happened!?

ok i aint old enough to remember that so i asked my old man theres his response.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  29. Was 1960 around 3pm pulled into park lot with my 37 Ford cp. 303 Olds.stock 3-speed trans.stock rear. A 40 Ply. 2dr with a 318 ply. stick shift pulls in. He would'nt give up till we run one off. We would race 3 blocks through 2 stop signs no letting off till we got to wooden bridge. Well we had people running out of houses and Chev. Garage to see what all the noise was, we were both fender to fender till we quit how we never got reported I'll never know but I gained a friend that day.

30. inspectorcurly

inspectorcurly

I had a 1972 Vega GT with a chris alston tube chassis real 396 with tunnel ran 2 4's and a roller setup backed by a muncie and a 9inch with 433 gear at 18 in 1982 it was stupid fast and I would run on the unfinished by pass near my home after midnight an always won until I threw the pads on the ram clutch and the cops got me on a setup by a fellow racer lost the car and had to buy back a public auction VA is a confiscation state the rascal that set me up bidded against me but some other fellow racers took care of him after a little tape job by the doc he was able to heal up fine get me that was then this is now I really love racing and I only do it at the track now the old 52 Dodge pickup runs a quick 16 not bad for a heavy old truck with a small blk. Buy the way I owned the truck when I was street racing and used it to pull my car with when I would take it to the track It had the old flathead in it back then and would only out run itself
    motorhead chuck AKA inspectorcurly