Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone put a hitch on a 55 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kickstarter, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I don't want a bumper mount hitch on the car, need something stronger then that. I'd like a receiver hitch but haven't been able to find one.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. chevnut55

chevnut55
    from ma.

i put a universal hitch on mine,i welsed it to the rear frame rails for support and it acts as a removale parachute bracket. i could tow a trailer if i wanted.

4. MY '56 wagon towed a homecoming float when I was in high school. I build a hitch out of square tubing and tied it into the frame, had a recieve just under the bumper. All bolt on, nothing permanent

5. fms427

fms427

Go to your friendly hitch shop - they weld up most receiver hitches from universal parts. I would suggest a 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 receiver - small enough you can hide it under your bumper, but still good for 3500 lbs. Or, if you are handy with a welder - make your own - not that hard. I made one up for my 49 out of swap meet parts.

6. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

If you have the fabrication skills or a buddy that does you can make a hidden hitch that plugs in vertically instead of horizontal. When the hitch is out no receiver shows below the bumper/roll pan etc. You will have to modify the plug in part with a 90 degree turn in it. Another trick if the application applies, if you have a bumper mounted license plate you can cut a hole in the panel behind the plate for the hitch to pass through and get you a 69 camaro license plate hinged holder and mount it upside down so you lift your license plate to plug and play so to speak

7. One of the last retail bolt-on hitches available for the trifive chevys, was the Hidden Hitch brand. IIRC, about 8-10 years ago they quit offering it in their product line. I'm to understand that it fit well, and people who had it were happy with it. They show up on Ebay every once in a while, and can get pricey.

8. davidh73750

davidh73750

Look up FCain on here. He flats tows a 55 with a 55 to hamb drags. I also thought a 55 towing a tear drop trailer would be cool

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

[​IMG]

10. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thanks, that gives me something to start with. I'm only going to pull a motorcycle trailer and maybe a small camper. I hope to pick the car up next Saturday.

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I put a reciever hitch on both my 1938 Chevy Coupe and my 1950 Chevy Sedan delivery. On both I used a 1-1/4 hitch I picked up cheap. One was free. Did some modifying and bolted them onto the frame using the bumper bolt holes and some longer grade 8 bolts.