Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has anyone ever put a Ford engine in a Chev?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Feb 5, 2017.

1. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Yeah, I know it's O/T, but, same principal, and yes, I actually think it's bad ass! A purist's nightmare!

[​IMG]

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Really???? Because every for sale add written for a SBC Chevy, ever, has stated that the SBC came out of a Corvette. So I figure there has to be yards full of Corvettes with no motor in them.

Or People are stuffing Corvette's full of Ford motors, Thanks PunkAssGearhead88

BJR likes this.
  3. samurai mike

samurai mike

anybody that puts a ford in a chevy must think it's the body that makes them so fast!

4. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

The same thing could be said about who put chevies in Fords.....

5. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My 34 Chevy 5W coupe with a Mercury Marauder 4 Cam engine. Second picture show my clever 2x4 distributor with fake plug wires running to grommets above the coil on plug crank triggered ignition. "Distributor" will be tucked under intake in finished version. To some people it's not a Hemi if plug wires don't run through center of valve covers.

34 chev. cpe Oct 09 003.jpg 34 chev. cpe Oct 09 004.jpg

6. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

That thing outta haul ass Coilover. Looks like it fits in there pretty good too. Definitely will be some head scratchers when they see that.

Brent the Ford freak! likes this.
  7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am a member of the VCCA and will not let that stop me putting a Ford motor in my 37 Chevy but I think I might get kicked out,its going to happen but not as soon as I want to since other things come up to keep me from doing it.

8. samurai mike

samurai mike

it's just a joke to see if anybody gets fired up. i have both fords and chevys, so don't hate me too much!

9. enigma57

enigma57

Ford engine in a Chevy? Sure...... Many moons ago, I had a '65 Chevy II. I grafted the front 2/3 of a '78 Malibu cop car frame under it (extended forward from tie ins at front leaf spring mounts) and swapped in a 'built' 300 Ford inline 6 backed up by a T-5 Mustang transmission. Ran really well and made believers out of more than a few guys with 283 and 327 small blocks in their Chevy IIs and early Camaros.

Also swapped a 'built' 400 Pontiac engine into a '56 Chevy (see avatar). And a 413 MOPAR Max Wedge engine into a '55 Chevy in the early '70s.

My first car was a '53 Henry J and I stuffed a 276 DeSoto hemi and Dodge 3-speed tranny into it. Had to cut firewall and transmission tunnel out and move seat back. Firewall fell just behind carb and distributor and rear spark plugs were under dash. Had it running by my 16th birthday back in 1963. Later swapped the DeSoto engine and Dodge tranny into a '55 Ford.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would like to have both of these right now! I am a Chrysler guy at heart. But that 427 would look good in the '40. And one day I would like to have a '57 or '58 Vette. As the song says..."Some guy's have all the luck"

11. i don't see it as being wrong, except putting the flathead into anything after '55. the swop should be an increase of performance. the same power in the corvette and camaro with the flat head swop could have been achieved by pulling two spark plug wires on the small blocks they came with.........

gas & guns and falcongeorge like this.
  12. carbking

carbking

I tend to keep my swaps "same brand" (Ford in a Ford, Chevy in a Chevy, etc.).

No, I don't have pics (wish I did), but 40 or so years ago, had a customer that bled Ford Blue. He owned a salvage yard with the highway patrol tow-in agreement. Had a yellow/green 57 Chevy ragtop come in one day that had been stripped (drivetrain, interior, wheels). After insurance company paid off, he acquired title, had the interior redone, added a set of chrome Cragers, and a rebuilt and repainted model A Ford 4-banger! Used to take it to the car shows to tick off the Chevy loyal. And it did!

Like someone posted earlier, they are just cars!

Jon.

13. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Yup, my 36 Chevy 2 dr sdn has a 351C/FMX/8". Been in the car since 1976. Came out of a 72 Ranchero, unknown mileage, got a rattle can overhaul, driven the first time in 1980. Put a MII in before anybody made 5 lug rotors or big brake kits. Sent the stock rotors to Progressive Automotive to get them plugged and drilled. Have put 138K on the car since then. Survived the great flood at the 92 Louisville Nats, still hits it every time I turn the key.

Attached Files:

14. enigma57

enigma57

Good to see you posting, Jon. Have been meaning to give you a call for some while now. Still have those NOS '48 - '50 Hudson straight 8 Carter WD0 648-S carbs I picked up some years back and would like to get some gaskets and seals to freshen them up before putting them on an engine I have here. Also have a question regarding a carb for my youngest son's car. Will give you a call in the next week or so.

Best regards,

Harry

15. I was getting some parts for my 39 from a couple old boys and walked past a 60s Chevy pickup with the hood up a bit. A pair of goofy shaped blue valve covers peaking out. Asked them and they said it was the best engine they'd had on hand- plus it really pissed off some unnamed kin of there's. I don't recall what exactly it was. Maybe 351 Cleveland?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. gas & guns

gas & guns

. Now that right there is just wrong at so many levels.

Raiman1959 and Montana1 like this.
  17. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

I wasn't that long out of diapers when I wandered up the road to Atomic Service and saw my first hot rod in the form of a white 53 Chevy hardtop with a 292 Y block complete with 4 2 barrels on a U Fab manifold. No idea who built it, perhaps a welder because of the neatly fabbed gas pedal assembly. Don't recall ever seeing it again and at that age no clue about what they were doing to it other than it took lots of revving up. It was real live automotive shop, I remember watching an old mechanic boring a flatty block sitting on wood blocks on the floor. Had one of those giant Coke machines with the big drum inside and even though it looked like you could take several bottles out, it was always only one. And yes, there was enough room inside for lots of cold beer ready for quitting time. They let me hang out and help out sometimes but I never got a beer or a chaw although they all chewed. Too bad they closed down or I'd probably still be there.

18. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

My friend Lou was a Chevy guy, however he had a sense of humor as he built and drove until he passed away and I became the owner of this well used Ford powered Chevy pickup. He built around 1978. This is on a Ford Bronco Frame so it's all Ford... Sorry for the lousy picture, it's all I could find in his archives. Truck looks pretty sad today but still together. IMG_4111 (1).JPG

19. wutnxt

wutnxt

Some clown here in the Willamette Valley has a '55 Chev. 2dr with a late ford motor, not a bad looking car. He came to the All Ford Picnic at Champoeg Park to impress everyone but they wouldn't let him in.

20. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Put a Buick engine in a Chevy. 70' Malibu with 455 out of a 70' duece n a qtr. Couldn't find a 454 so I bought an Electra for $200.00 bucks from a retired high school teacher that previously worked at the high school I was attending. She said nobody could get it started. So I bought it. Turns out it had a bad starter. Changed it out in her driveway and drove it away. Drove the Electra for a year to and from school. Best part was it had a staff parking sticker for my high school so I could park anywhere. It had the long tail turbo 400 so I had to do some driveshaft work and trans support modifications but it screamed. 510 ft lbs of torque and 375 Hp. I had the only Chevy Malibu GS around :). Best $200.00 bucks I ever spent.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  21. meteor500

meteor500

actually it was a 406!!

22. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Can we PLEASE quit calling Ford FE's big blocks???

They are a medium block at best. The Lincoln Y (368 ci), MEL, and 385 series all have much larger blocks physically. Big and Small block terms are for Chevy's were they built off the same 2 engine platforms for 40+ years. Ford built V8's in a number of configurations: Flatheads (3 versions), Y-Blocks (2 verisons), MEL's, FE's, 335/Cleveland Series, 385/Lima Series, Windsor's, and Super Duty's.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  23. BJR

BJR

"Big and Small block terms are for Chevy's were they built off the same 2 engine platforms for 40+ years. Ford built V8's in a number of configurations: Flatheads (3 versions), Y-Blocks (2 verisons), MEL's, FE's, 335/Cleveland Series, 385/Lima Series, Windsor's, and Super Duty's."

Which shows if you can't get it right, keep changing it!!

24. garage2small

garage2small

This one always make people do a "double take". This car was built in the mid 80's, by a good friend ,who still owns and drives it today. Drives it thousands of miles a year, he drove it to the local hot rod hangout today. It has a 351, oh yeah he chopped himself , his first and only chop first rate work! It has also been known to hold its own at the area drag strips with him behind the wheel. 20170223_172612.jpg 20170223_172640.jpg 20170223_172654.jpg 20170223_173453.jpg

25. BJR

BJR

Very nice car but somehow that just seems wrong.

26. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The exact same thing I say every time I see a 350 SBC stuffed into a Ford or Chrysler. Especially a post war Ford or Chrysler.

Cooon and Brent the Ford freak! like this.
  27. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

409 IIRC

28. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

29. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

30. koolkemp

koolkemp