Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone ever modified a Transverse Rear Spring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drw47, Jul 8, 2011.

1. drw47

drw47

Here are my thoughts, An origional A, rear transverse spring is too wide for my 71 Maverick rearend. I am wondering if I can cut the rolled ends off the #1 leaf and welding them on the #4 leaf. Then use #4,#5,#6,#7 and #8 for my car. That looks like it would fit. Has anyone ever done this ? Would I need to quench the weld area in water or some type of oil to reharden it? What do you all think?[​IMG]

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Uhh..... no, not personally. At least not what you're talking about. I'm reversing the eyes on a rear spring right now.

Even if you can weld spring steel, would you trust it as it cycles through suspension flex for thousands of miles?

Maybe bending the eyes? Still don't know that I'd run it like that though...

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

You can not weld spring steel !! Have a spring shop modify the main and next several leaves as needed.

4. chuckles0

chuckles0

I had the spring shop re-roll mine to the length I needed and had them reverse the eye.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a "T" spring, not an "A" spring.

The correct way to do this is to short the spring main leaf and have them re-rolled. Re-rolling has been done forever. Not a big deal as long as the spring is in good shape. I was informed by the spring shop I work with that sometimes the eyes can crack during the re-rolling process. No guarantees it won't happen on old springs in questionable condition.

Once it's re-rolled to the dimensions you need, just trim a tad off of any others you feel are too long. Keep in mind the ride will change slightly with a narrower spring pack.

I paid $80 to have my "A" spring re-rolled.

6. drw47

drw47

Would the 6" spread( for installation) that I am reading about, still be the same after I had it rerolled ?

7. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Take it to a competent spring shop have them shorten the main leaf and reverse the eyes reassemble leaving out 3,5 and 7. You may have to make a spacer to go on the bottom when you reinstall it.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you say "spread", do you mean when the spring is loaded and it spreads out? If so, it will be close, yes. Maybe slightly less spread.

Might be best to have have the shop shorten and re-roll it per your spec and then move your mounting positions accordingly.

And I agree, you're way better off finding a spring shop in your area that can perform the work. If they've done it before it'll be quick and painless. If they haven't, find a shop that has.

9. May be easier to change the mounts on the axle?

10. I had mine shortened twice and the eyes reversed. But it was done by a reputable spring shop

11. drw47

drw47

does reversing the eyes do anything other than lower the car ?

12. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

13. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Original Ford T & A springs are made from an alloy that can sometimes crack when the eyes are changed. We had one done at a very reputable spring shop and the eyes broke as they were doing it. Ask the proprietor if he has experience with the original springs as I am told there is a proper way to re-roll them.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! What Weedburner said!

And no, reversing the eyes won't change the spring rate. Will only lower it.