Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone ever had to torque something in in/lbs, instead of ft/lbs??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Nov 27, 2011.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Just curious if anyone has had this situation on their cars. I know you can do conversions...........

2. outlaw256

outlaw256

havent on any cars but i have on a few custom bike builds.

3. RodStRace

RodStRace

You should use an INCH lb. torque wrench.
    A ft. lb. wrench isn't as accurate at low levels.
    Common uses include oil pans, valve covers, and automatic transmision band adjustments. Also for front wheel bearings.
    They can be bought fairly cheap, even new.
    [​IMG]

4. squirrel

squirrel

I have to torque the head bolts on my 1/25 scale model cars in inch-ounces

(btw in/lbs or ft/lbs is a rather confusing thing for an engineer to read, it should be lbs-in or lbs-ft. Punctuation makes a difference....the terms are multiplied, not divided)

5. 74bowtie

74bowtie

rebuilding a rearend for the pinion.

6. evo sportster engine has a lot of specs in in/lbs.
    that being said, the answer to your question would be "yup".

7. Yes, very common

8. brady1929

brady1929

All the time at work. 12 in/lbs equals 1 ft/lb. It is simple math.

9. boutlaw

boutlaw

Heck yeah, all the time, most valve cover torque is in inch pounds. I have both torque wrenches, inch and foot lb, but, as brady1929 said, the conversion math is simple, and necessary if you don't happen to have both type torque wrenches.

BOutlaw

10. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

inches vs. feet ......story of my life...

11. Yep and a beam torque wrench and a "click" are both handy in the shop. Beams are for setting the "drag" on pinnion crush sleeves and shim packs on race style and clicks are handy for say, a Vortech style intake manifold as they are prone to leakage without. Something to remember is to always reset to zero your click as if not it kills the torque scale value quickly and that a beam although not as easy to read is virtually always correct even if off center just by allowing that difference in to the figure.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Had to rebuild my air compressor pump..
    Also used it for a rear gear swap on a Ford 8.8 rear end.

13. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Just curious, I bought a 3/8" torque wrench in inlbs meaning to buy one in ftlbs.....debating on keeping it or exchanging it. I had just never ran into needing one in this ones range...25-250inlbs equivalent to 2-21ftlbs whereas most auto bolts exceed 10 ftlbs.

And yeah in showed the units incorrectly out of laziness...sorry, I guess thats kind of a bad thing for an engineer to do!

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I don't know how the convention got started but bolt torque specs are given in inch/pounds, foot/lbs, centimeter/kg. The only one normally given in the correct engineering terminology is newton/meter.

15. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

I use my 40-200 in-lb wrench quite a bit. It's more accurate to use it to torque the 15-20 ft-lb capscrews than using the 15-75 ft-lb wrench. Plus I do a lot of work on bicycles which use smaller torques. I also have a beam type for those to get under 40 in-lb.

16. Agreed w/Engine Man. I've noticed that the new Toyota truck commercials actually state the torque in "pound-feet", which is correct.

Think of Newton-meter, or pound-feet, which are BOTH force-distance, which is the correct way to state a torque value, NOT "foot-pounds".

17. yardgoat

yardgoat

Now thats funny !!!!! 10 points out of 10............................YG:)

18. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

If you have an attention to detail issue being an engineer I hope you are a sneaker box design engineer!! (grin)

OCF, Ret. TRW/Kelsey-Hayes R&D Prototype Engineer

19. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

'Inch pounds' is used in the aviation industry all the time...I have had an inch pounds torque wrench in my tool box for over 35 years ( click type SO). For those of us in the aviation industry our torque wrenches are calibrated and certified yearly. My personal torque wrenches cannot be used on the aircraft I work on.... only those Company wrenches signed out of the tool store can be used.

20. Yes! have in the past using in" lb. wrench

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

If ya ever plan on rebuilding an automatic trans....you'll want the torque wrench in lbs./in....

22. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

You need something like this, it goes up to 5 inch pounds ! I don't quite recall where it came from but I've got one if anyone needs to borrow it!

cheers!

Attached Files:

23. Quite often on valve bodies... at least on the AOD's I had rebuilt. Those in particular are picky about accurately and evenly torqued valve bodies.

24. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Did I mention it was black friday shopping with my wife at 4 in the morning after following her through shoulder to shoulder traffic all night, not to mention there were only two left so it was kind of a snatch and grab and try to keep moving......does that get me any slack??????

Regardless I'm sure I could design one fine shoebox, given enough duct tape of course. LOL

25. DieselGreaser

DieselGreaser

Yep, another aviation guy here. I use an in-lb torque wrench far more than I use a ft-lb wrench unless I'm working on my old diesel pickup. I also use 1/4" drive far more than 3/8" and very rarely 1/2". The good thing is everything is standard so I only need one socket set. They definitely come in handy for personal projects too for the small jobs that have been previously mentioned.

26. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

used to use inch pound wrench daily installing valvebodys only use it once a week at work now

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

Used ta work on aircraft, used lb-in alot, of course there were lb-ft too, even through a torque multiplier (11:1 :eek:).

28. tomcat11

tomcat11

Yep, Drive pinion and spool/Diff bearing preload.

29. sir

sir

most small engines are inch pounds, briggs & stratton....tecumseh...etc

30. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

subaru cam girdles are in inch pounds