Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone built there own car lift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mule Farmer, May 10, 2012.

1. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

has anyone built there own car lift. like a four post lift.

2. GREASER815

GREASER815

Why? They are not that expensive.

3. A couple grand isn't cheap. I'm interested as well. I don't think I could do it for much less unless I had free material, however.

4. GREASER815

GREASER815

My friend bought a like new one on CL for $800. Look around, lots of smal shops closing and stuff getting sold way cheap. Around here anyway, can't speak for everywhere.

5. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

work height ramp with a pit underneath

cheap safe...use a couple piston jacks for brake work

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Plenty lifts on CL around here as well, already picked up 3 of the common pro park 7s for $1000-$1200 each. Most get used for storage and have no real wear on them. I would put building your own lift up there with building your own airplane, might look cool but are you going to risk your life for a few bucks? And yes I have friends that did build their own planes, flew them once and got the hell out of them before they killed themselves.

7. rld14

rld14

If you hunt you can do what I did, buy a used Rotary in good shape for under $1500.

I'm not a fan of the Chinese lifts myself. That being said, about 5 years ago a buddy and i priced it out The metal alone to build one would easily be $500, the mechanisms another $5-600, plus a motor, wiring, etc and then there's the "weve never done this shit before" factor.

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

Here you go, on your Holland Michigan craigslist. $800, go get it.

email this posting to a friend grand rapids craigslist > for sale / wanted > auto parts - by owner
    please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
    prohibited
    spam/overpost
    best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
    4 Post Car-Bench Hoist - 5,000 lbs - $800 (Cedar Springs)

<HR>Date: 2012-04-17, 9:43AM EDT
    Reply to: [email protected] <SUP>[Errors when replying to ads?]</SUP>
    <HR>

4 Post Car-Bench Hoist - 5,000 lbs. Any question please call 616-337-7376

<!-- -->[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<!-- START CLTAGS -->
    • <!-- CLTAG GeographicArea=Cedar Springs -->Location: Cedar Springs
    • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    <!-- END CLTAGS -->
    PostingID: 2962952921

9. Kramer

Kramer

Why is it that every time someone asked "has anyone built this or that", they assume the guy wants to build one? Maybe the op wants to see the creativeness of some HAMBer's who have done it. Maybe he is thinking of building one. But his question wasn't "can someone point me to a cheap lift". Personally I could afford building my own over buying one, even if it wasn't cheaper, because I could do it over time, thus spreading out the cash flow. And yes I could save up then buy one, but with other items to buy, that won't happen.
    Okay I'm done ranting now, continue on.:D

10. I wouldn't attempt it, but like Kramer said, it would be interesting to see, I'm sure it's been done several times.

11. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

A car lift and a air plane are two way different things. Haven't you ever watched the secret life off machines and how elevators work, they have a built in safety device so the cant come crashing down, I would think a car lift has some similar device.

I'm pretty confident in my skills, I'm not a back yard hack, but I do build things in the back yard.

Your attitude Is so totally different from mine, where would we be as hot rodders If nobody ever tried to build there own car, or tried to stuff a big engine in a small car, or put a jet motor on a drag rail. I really don't get you................

I didn't realize they were that cheap though. Thanks for pointing that out to me.