Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone brush plated chrome?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powdercoater46, Nov 6, 2009.

1. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

I bought copper, nickel and chrome brush plating kits from Caswell Plating.

Do any of you have experience with these so I don't have to re-invent the wheel ???

2. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Show us some of your results!

3. Tator

Tator

My company has also done this. We have had very good results as long as the nickel plate is very will prepped as a starter.

Only issue we have is making sure that the amps stay consistant while you are plating.

What type of material are you planning to plate?

4. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

My first pieces are headlight bars for a 33 chevy; then some new painted tailight bezels that I'll blast first. I've blasted the bars with some pitted nickel/chrome left showing. I plan to copper coat, smooth as necessary then a coat of nickel then some chrome. Sound right to you??

5. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I have only ever brush plated gold. I can't imagine you will get enough thickness do fill any imperfections using a brush plating method.

I think the chrome will be fine as it is supposed to be a very thin plating, but the copper and nickel are supposed to be of a substantial thickness. Although your copper is likely going to be a strike, which is simply a plating prep, not intended for leveling.

Honestly I don't think there will be much durability against weathering, but you won't ruin anything by trying it. Have fun! Prep is very important.

edit: you are missing a step in your plan; the part where you sand off all the old plating, sand out all the rust pitting, then bring the bare steel part to a buffed finish so it will look nice once it is plated. It is possible to use copper to fill a sandblasted surface with rust pitting, but it would take at least 4 solid hours of high build acid copper if the pitting is shallow. Much more economical to polish out the steel first, especially with a low-build setup such as yours.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  6. dgmchrome

dgmchrome

I am in the plating business , I can tell you that brush plating is more efficient than tank plating but time consuming.Chrome is by nature is an inefficient metal to plate so you have got to make sure you do not break contact with the part otherwise you will most likely get white spots on the chrome, also the nickel has got to be very active: meaning an acid activator prior to chrome. Also chrome is hardly measurable for decorative purposes. Its only kind of a clear coat that adds color ad protection from oxidation. so you don't have to brush plate for very long.
    Hope this helps:D

7. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

Thanks guys; I'll take all advice to heart.