Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone broken a Super Trick on the street?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yoyodyne, Oct 14, 2009.

1. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Cragar Super Tricks, the original spun aluminum drag race wheels. They are two halves bolted together with ordinary hardware, which makes me think they might flex and or fret there, or possibly fold up under heavy side loading. they are marked for racing use only, that could be just a disclaimer or it could be good advice. I ran mine on the street occasionally long ago, I want to put a set on car now that will get more street miles and I'm wondering how durable they are, especially after the things I've heard about Flys. Any evidence out there good or bad?

2. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

My friend ran them on his nova on the street for years with a big block and he did brake a few over the years.(He was always a Maverick though...lol)The front rims are what always brake (i guess being 3.5" wide they get a load every time you turn the wheels).D.O.T. says two piece wheels are not safe.
    Fenton made a one piece wheel that looked like them called a R/T with 15 bolts around the rim for looks,they were 4.5" wide for street use.

Steve

3. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Thanks, I figured the fronts would be the most likely to break. How did they break? did they fail catastrophically and come off the car or just crack and cause a flat? Did they crack around the hub or at the rim? Did they give a warning before they failed? How many miles did he put on them?

4. bobwop

bobwop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

get some Centerlines. I have a set on my 68 Nova and they look very similar to the Super Tricks on my Nostalgic Super Stock 63 Belair

5. squirrel

squirrel

the skinny wheels are what cause problems, but front tires that small probably aren't safe anyways, especially on a car with a big enough motor that they'd be appropriate.

6. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I broke one years ago on the street, along the bolt holes. They are not a street wheel! Not designed for cornering forces. Lippy

8. Rem

Rem

I had some skinny fronts many years ago - they had been used on the street by a mate for a short while (71 Charger w/440) and one had split around the inside of one of the bends, where the tyre bead flange was formed outwards. They were a very thin section: I welded the split one up and was going to use them on my Pop (Anglia), but sold them on to buy some Weld Superlites instead. Being far older and supposedly wiser now, I wouldn't use them on the street. Centerlines look similar, and are much thicker and more street-worthy, although the Cragars had a certain "look".

9. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

They crack along the bolt holes or on the rim where the tire beads up.Never had one come apart driving or tire go flat.They were run 3 or 4 thousand miles yearly.

Steve

10. Big Dad

Big Dad

I've seen several taco'd on the street back in the day and I've even seen some get wasted at the track too !

Never were a strong wheel, cool looking - YES!