Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harvey's Broiler Razed Illegally!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

WOW that is very sad, What I would give to have seen that re-open as a new car hop. Very sad.:( WHY???

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

oh, brother....

3. John Denich

John Denich

Hey lazy guy... read the whole post......:rolleyes:

4. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

If you are talking about the word I said "WHY" it is Why would anybody want to do that, I read the whole thing, I ask "WHY would you do that for, I know why but Please This guy is a Jackoff.

5. Old news buddy! This thread isn't about the demolition anymore! Now it's a celebration of the return of a historical, car paradise! Don't regress...Move on!

6. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Ok so me bad I skiped a few pages, You caught me.:rolleyes: I'll start over.:D

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That's " Mr. Daddyo Fuck Fingers" to you buck o !!!!!!!!

8. Burny

Burny

Hope you got a couple days... ;)

Here's it in a nutshell- It was torn down, city blocked any more demolition for a year, concerned citizens and hot rodders banded together, had cruises, raised money and awareness, went to town hall meetings, started posts on hot rod boards, found a business owner/restaurantor to invest in it, city put up funds, ground was broken, construction ensued and, bingo! It's openning OCT 19th, preserved back tot he way it was in 1958 (with concessions for safety of course)

Now your caught up. Cruise in to the car hop for a burger when your in town...

9. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

Thanks for the run down but while you put this up I was reading where I left off and I'm on page 52 and I'm going to bed. LOL My eyes hurt.:D

10. Thanks God for "Cliff Notes"...I'm ready for my quiz now.

11. Weasel

Weasel

Where's CKev when you need him??? Whats the official official word on the opening day then eh?

12. Adriene

Adriene

The neon Bob's disk is UP! Our friend/manager Joe Becker just sent me a photo. I'm forwarding it over to Mazooma now (thanks for always posting for me, Doug).

I'll be signing off now, as I'm having major back surgery this Monday. Have fun and keep me posted on all the excitement, everyone.

Opening day is...

Originally Posted by Adriene [​IMG]
    We made it! Opening date's official! A note of thanks to the Mayor would sure go a long way:

"Bob’s Big Boy ( formerly Johnies ) will be opening on Monday October 19<sup>th</sup> at 10:00 AM….wait until you see what a great job they have done restoring historical elements of the design…"
    Mario A. Guerra
    Mayor
    City of Downey
    11111 Brookshire Ave.
    Downey, Ca. 90241
    562-904-7274
    [email protected]

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

[​IMG]

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for the update and the pictures.
    boy has it come a long way since i was there a month ago.

Guess I picked the "wrong" time to visit the US when I see these pictures.

Well done the all concerned - Adriene, Kevin, and of course Jim who put his money up for this to come this point.

15. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Kevin sent me that daytime photo to my phone, when I was stuck @ Work stockin parts on shelves. Made me hunger for a burger big-time. This one he just-now sent me makes me want a chocolate milkshake. With a burger. And friends. Just amazing to see this become a reality! Just amazing, and inspiring.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. iroc

iroc

I'll be signing off now, as I'm having major back surgery this Monday. Have fun and keep me posted on all the excitement, everyone.

Opening day is...

Originally Posted by Adriene [​IMG]

Adrian wishing all the best for you on Mondays surgery and a speedy recovery. Hope you get on your feet to make it to opening day

17. Weasel

Weasel

+1 Best of luck with your back surgery Adrienne - you have been such a big part of this, it would be a shame if you missed the opening.

18. solid

solid

or a hot fudge cake...man that place looks cool...

19. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Hmmm, I want to be at the H.A.M.B. criuse in when this thing opens up, just so I can meet "Mr. Crazy Daddy-O Fuck Fingers".:)

20. 36hplandspeedracer

36hplandspeedracer

Bobs Big Boy Broiler (u-m-m-m-m, BBBB ? ) works for me and looks great too! And it has a parking lot now also. Just seeing the Broiler coming back to life gives life to us all. Wish I could join you on the 19th but I will definitely be with you in spirit! Have a cherry coke for me.

Adriene, you never mentioned the surgery a couple of weeks ago. Please take care and good wishes for a fast and complete recovery.

New friends...............

Burly and Pat

ps My 91 year old mom reviewed the new SoCal Eatery publication and enjoyed making a list of all the places we enjoyed, especially the photos and reference to Cliftons which we would visit during a trip into L.A.for shopping and the dentist on the Red Car trolleys. No malls in Norwalk way back when.

21. i drove by today and it looks like training going on..................ahhhh the 21st is getting closer.

22. Bash

Bash

I thought the mayor said it was opening on the 19th, but, that isn't exactly cruise night. I bet Friday it will be packed. Kool huh?

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

In answer to a few questions from all over the board ;).
    No state money was used in the rebuild. We are in a redevelopement zone.
    This place could have ended up a mini mall,bakery,used car lot or a row of automotive related shops and condos.
    Being in a RDZ meant that this business could qualify redevelopement money that will bring in a sales tax generating business (Just like what was there pre-2002) They ponied up $500k toward a rebuild
    and it was invested in replumbing their water main system so that all future buildings that required a fire sprinkler system-(including the Broiler) could now be hooked into that same main. The city owns that main now.

The other $400k has been invested in protecting the Signage,facade and car canopy for the next 20yrs and will help employ a min of 20 Downey residents at all times in various roles of function of the Broilers day to day operations.
    That being explained everyone wins here from land owner,business proprietor to patrons (most importantly our young Rod & Custom-ers).

Bad Bob,
    I didn't want to say the 19th until we had our Temp Occupancy Permit. Yes, as Adriene posted, that is the "Official City Date of Openning"
    10 am is in recognition of the time that Minnie Ortner opened the doors 51 yrs ago. To quote her "She said it was like a Cyclone!";)
    How appropriate that a fellow from Cyclone is helping with this opening:confused:, So lightning does strike twice;). Car Hop Service will be from 3pm till 10pm starting the 19th, So Bob, take a 1/2 day off.

Cruise nites. I need help! We're looking at wednesdays-5 till ?, We need to keep the canopy usable, if you're there for eats we ask that your stay will be enjoyable but not exceed 45min (depending on business) in the car hop spot. You can move to a regular spot and hang out for as long as you'd like. Who knows you might get hungry again and pull in again for some Hot Fudge Cake :D .

On the day of the Van Nuys Cruise i'm open to sugestions, Would you still like that night open as a cruise so that if a bunch of guys that roll on out to the val, have some place to stop on the way back:confused:

On a more serious note, One of the Miss A's is going under the knife Monday, Please keep Adriene in your thoughts and wish her a speedy recoup so we can see her hanging out under the canopy in her own 56 "Big Olds". Analisa and I will keep her in the loop as Adriene can never rest!

On a Cruise this coming week B4 it opens, I'm game for Thursday.
    This is in respect for the the Van Nuys Cruising Assn. so it's a one time Thursday cruise.

I'm sure that I'm forgetting lots of other stuff that came up, but C'Deuced is rushing me off the laptop ;). See ya on the 19th.

24. Adriene

Adriene

Thank you Burly and Pat...I appreciate everyone's good wishes.

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Y'know you have mine as well!;)

26. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i just read an article about this the other day.
    props to kevin for keeping this thread alive for so long.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Your Welcome Shooter,

It's a story that needed to be told and a plan of attack that needed action. The HAMB, Roadside Peek,Friends of Johnie's,Coalition to Save and Rebuild The Broiler, LAC-MOD COM and many others worked in concert to turn a negative into a positive.
    I've learned alot over the past 34mos. One of them is to never let your dreams go. All of us did it and now lets make it a success as a business so that it may be here for another 50yrs.

28. Bash

Bash

Can anyone tell me what time of day was this photo taken. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Cyclone Kevin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Leon

Leon

Considering the angle of a few faint shadows, about noon or just before?

30. do i smell a new painting???