Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hardtop Chevy barn finds-'50, '52, '53 &' 56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Royal Lancer, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

So there's this old guy I know, owns a big farm close to National Trail Raceway. Other day 'ol Ralph & I are talking and he mentions he has a few old cars: '50, '52 & '53 Bel Airs. Now I'm listening close, and set up a time to go se 'em. We go out to the barn and sure enough, there's the '50 & '52. The '50 looks like it was pretty cool in the day - the wheels have a red lip, then ran trim rings, little caps and pinstripes onn the wheels. Glass blue dots in the tail lights. Car was rough but restorable:

Attached Files:

2. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Next was the '52. A little rougher, but restorable if you're feeling ambitious. Later model inline 6, and ralph says it runs fine

Attached Files:

3. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Now, the trim for these cars is scattered around the barn. Plus a whole stack of fender skirts, extra sheet metal, patch panels, etc. Then I spy this pile of boxes: Full of accessory trim, bumper wings, bumper guards, etc

Attached Files:

4. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

So where's the '53? Ralph takes me out behiind the barn, and there it is. This thing is ROUGH, definitly a parts car. but...the stainless is perfect, (and I mean perfect), the car is 100% complete, and even the interior is not too bad but it's so rusty that I bet I could peel off the roof skin with my bare hands. Under the hood you can still see the grese pencil marks from the assembly line. And that's not surprizing because (and here is the heartbreaker) the car has an actual 23,000 miles. Ralph is thinking of hauling it to the scrap metal yard. Someone needs to part this one out!

Attached Files:

5. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

The '50 & the '52 can be bought, but I couldn't get a firm price (BTW: I have no interest in these cars, I am posting in case someone on here is looking for something like this. Also, SOMEONE needs to grab that '53). Anyone interested can pm me

6. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

OH....the HORROR....he horror!!! Cool pics, though! You buying any of them?

Nevermind...we posted at the same time! ;P

7. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

So I think that's it, I've seen everything Ralph told me about. Well, he opens a door in the barn and looky what I see

Attached Files:

8. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Turns out this one has a good story: Seems he bought it in '66 when he got back from the service. Drove it for a couple years, then decided to re-do the body. He says a guy he knew had a body shop, and he let Ralph work on it there, telling him that he would paint it when the body was "ready". Well, after about 30 days of blocking, sanding and welding in small patch panels Ralph got fed up and told the guy to go ahead and paint it. The body guy said Ralph wouldn't like it, but went ahead and shot it anyway in the original Sierra Gold and Aztec White. Ralph brought it home and sure enough, he did not like it, so it has sat since 1969 with brand new paint, a fresh engine and all the trim in boxes. Check out the groovy tach and gauges. This car can be bought, but ol' Ralph is pretty emotionally invested so it will take some solid negotiating skills

Attached Files:

9. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

super cool, love me some early 50's chevs! For the love of god someone rescue them!

10. ajwhiskey51

ajwhiskey51

I'll take those bumper wings off his hands for him