Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hard starting after setting two weeks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dgc15, Oct 21, 2007.

1. dgc15

dgc15

I don't get to drive my truck as much as I would like to. After it sets for several days, the gas is gone out of the carb. It is a Edelbrock 1406 and a mechanical fuel pump on a sbc 350. After it turns over enough to pump the gas up to the carb, it starts right up. If it only sets for a day or two, it starts right up.
    Has anyone put a small inline electric pump before the mechanical to pump the gas up before you start cranking it. Will the mechanical pump let the gas through?
    Any other ideas?
    I took the electric pump off and put on a mechanical pump because I was having all sorts of problems with the electric pump.
    Thanks,
    Don

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The answer is yes in both cases. I have had an auxilliary electric pump for years. The mechanical pump pulls through it like it isn't there, and provides that extra boost when you need it.

3. i used to have a '79 gmc 250 six cylinder that did the same thing. i replaced the carb. and cured the problem.

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Sounds to me that adding in an electrical pump, while it may solve your problem, is really masking the real issue of what sounds like a dry fuel bowl/accelerator pump well. I'd be looking HARD at rebuilding the carb first.

5. Big Dad

Big Dad

My pickup does it too

fuel goes bad sitting in carb , its so poor anymore

I let mine sit more than 15 days, need to prime it

6. GlenC

GlenC

If the carb's dry or needs priming after 10-14 days sitting idle you've clearly got a slow fuel leak or fumes getting out somewhere. Fixing it before it becomes an under-hood fire would be my first priority. Shout your carby a new set of gaskets and seals first, check your fuel line for leaks second. (inline filter perhaps?)

Cheers, Glen.

7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I had a F350 with a 1406 on it. It would do the same thing. I have a GNC, 402 with a 1406 on it, it does the same thing. I have a Marlin 454, with two 1406 on it, it does the same thing. I have built several cars for others with a 1406 on them, they did the same thing. You noticing a trend here?

8. 64Belvedere

64Belvedere
    from Alabama

Personally, I think it's just the Edelbrock / Carter design. This is a common post on the Mopar boards. The design of the carb (where accelerator pump draws fuel) and today's fuel has a lot to do with it. The pump doesn't draw from the very bottom of the bowl, and today's fuel tends to evaporate rapidly. The fix that is usually suggested is an electrical pump.

That being said, it definitely doesn't hurt to give everything a thorough check to make sure there isn't some other problem......

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I have a 1406, with the same problem. Electrical pump will mask the problem by filling the bowl before you crank like others have suggested. I just haven't bothered as of yet.

10. ...as said earlier, the gas now days goes bad/evaporates in a few days on some older cars. Don't believe this, pour about an inch of gas in a plastic soda bottle (that's been cleaned/dried), put the cap on tight, in a few days some of the gas will evaporate using the air in the bottle, and actually suck the sides of the bottle in.
    ...on a few of my cars, I just add a trickle of gas to the carb (if they've sat un-used for awhile) and they fire rite up without a lot of un-neccesary crankin.

11. bohlsd

bohlsd

I have an Edelbrock carb and so does my brother. Both act the exact same way. This has been covered in depth all over the internet and hard starting after sitting a few weeks due to no gas in carb is pretty much universal in Edelbrock carbs. By the way, Edelbrock tech says that this condition is non-existent.

12. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

All you fellows that have this problem..........do you have insulator gaskets under the carbie? If not, add one as you may be very surprised at the results. Another issue with this carb is the Hot start problem when you least expect it. Same fix.........an insulator gasket under the carb. Edelbrock knows this, that's why they sell a special gasket for this problem. The fuel is perculating into vapor and drying up.

13. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

dickster27, when you say an insulater gasket do you mean the ones that are made of a carbon based like material or will a metal with the asbestus on each side work. I have a 1406 0n my buick and guess what-it does the same thing

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a carter AFB on my 65 custom 500 daily driver and yes it does the same thing,I was thinking about a thicker gasket as I am having hot start problems with it too. I am thinking about a holley as I dont have the same problems with them.

15. DrJ

DrJ

Welcome to the '30's-'70's reality of "Starts right up except for Monday morning."

Your pre-smog system carb float bowls are vented to the atmosphere.
    You put about a shot glass full of gasoline on the work bench or driveway next to that truck and see if it doesn't evaporate away in 15 days, or even a weekend!

16. dgc15

dgc15

Animalain,
    What kind of electric pump do you have?
    The Carb is brand new and there are no leaks.

17. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

TP, they are just a fiber gasket that is about 1/4" thick just like all the later model carbs and throttle bodies used from the factory. Also a nice Phenolic spacer would be even better but you may have to put longer studs in for that, but it is worth the effort.