Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor frieght stud gun good or bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FIDDLER, Jul 8, 2012.

1. FIDDLER

FIDDLER
    from VIRGINIA

]i just want some opinions on the chicago [hf] stud welding gun.i found just a couple reports, and they were not bad, just that the studs were not as good as good name brand studs. Any thoughts will be appreciated thanks , fiddler

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. Saw a bad review on another site recently.

3. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first indicator of quality there is the words "Harbor Freight", which is synonymous with low quality Chinese junk. I guess if you are going to use it for a one time application and you don't expect to use it any more after, it might be worth the few sheckles you will save. Caviat emptor.

4. AZbent

AZbent

Second what El Caballo says. I have always treated HF products that way.

5. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i have one and its been great, also i bought some stud puller accessories from eastwood

6. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I think you get what you pay for with h/f. Most stuff I get from them is for light use, throw aways or for the people who borrow my tools a break them or never returns them. They get the job done for the most part but they break real easy.

7. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

x2 never had a problem with mine.

8. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I have one and have owned it for years, it works just as well as name brand models but the puller wore out after a few hundred uses.

9. thebugbox

thebugbox

Works fine. Had mine for a decade. However only sees use a few times a year. Probably put 1 box of studs through it. HF is perfect for these types of low use scenarios, but if you need to make a living with it, I don't recommend HF.

10. modeltford

modeltford

Have one - the stud gun works fine - the puller won't grip well enough to use as a slide hammer. tried flipping the gripper wheel, replaced it, filed the grooves deeper - nothing helped. As said before - ya gets what ya pay for!!

Rich

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  11. We have one at our shop that is probably more than 8 years old and gets pretty regular use. We use the HF accesories aswell. No problems. Great bang for the buck. Just treat it like a top shelf tools (probably just an overpriced 'Name' anyways) and it will treat you well.

12. i have one, works great but buy the extended warrenty. i had one fry out after 4 months. took it back and got a new one.

13. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

mine worked pretty good at first, but then kinda pooped out. it sits on the shelf now.

14. chubbie

chubbie

like mine.. so do my friends

15. oldolds

oldolds

Mine works ok for the last 5 years. Occasional use. The puller isn't the best, if I used it more I would buy a good head for the puller.

16. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

i have my 3 yers and work good . i have mac only last 2 yers and i pay 390.00 dollar.

17. rustang

rustang

My buddy has one, built his '55 Chev and my '69 mustang with it.... the slide hammer head gave out (he made a new roller for it) but other than that, welded alot of studs and pulled alot of dents from those (2) cars.
    Tom

18. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

I have had one for a few years and it has worked great I just hate the trigger being on the top of the handle. It should be down below. If that is the way they still have it. Even loan it to my friends and have never had a problem with it I just buy quality studws for it.
    I hate the slide hammer with a passion. I was going to buy a name brand slide hammer but they are through the roof.

19. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

i've used mine alot and have had no trouble with the studs or gun. both have worked well but I cant say that about the slide puller you get with the kit. its trash I bought one from eastwoods, works much better.

20. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

Wondering if El Cabbelo has ever used a HF stud gun? I usually don't comment on things unless I have first hand knowledge......just sayin'

21. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I have had and used one from hf for years. Got my money out of it. My biggest complaint would be the puller does not grip well. It does work though

22. Crap. Mine lasted about 10 studs. HF replaced it w/no questions. Second lasted 3 or 4 studs and died. Too disgusted to do anything else with it.

23. henry29

henry29

I had one of these last year that worked good the first 10 times, then just quit working.
    It was exchanged for another one that barely worked at all, just lightly discolored the ends and would pull right off.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  24. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

I have one and it works great.

25. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

If your using something made in China, please be sure to wear your safety glasses. It's not a matter of if it is going to break, but more a matter of when and how bad.

If you can't afford quaity new, buy quality used, either through local sites or national online selling sites. (ie ebay, Craigslist, etc)

26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its El Caballo if you are going to be pedantic. I have not used the stud gun. I have however been to HF many times and I'm not impressed with their quality. I've bought stuff there before, I'm familiar with their stuff. If the general quality is marginal, chances are it goes further to the balance of their line. The general consensus is HF sells bargain basement stuff backed up by people's experience, its called trending.

Also, again, if you are going to try and pick the fly shit out of the pepper, I said it was probably okay for limited use which is supported by other posters who own them.

Just sayin'......

27. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

First of all, "pedantic" is an adjective, if you are going to use big words, use them correctly. Second, I really don't think a casual mis-spelling of your screen name would even qualify as being "pedantic" (i.e. know what words mean before using them). Third, if you are unimpressed with their quality, why have you been there "many times". Lastly, why make a sophomoric comments on items you have never used based solely on personal prejudice. It does nothing to serve the original posters intent.

Please notice the lack of question marks and realize the above questions were posed in a manner of rhetoric.

28. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In spite of your smarmy bullshit, I stand by my comments. I have bought allen keys, grinding disks and the like, so what? Quick! Someone else said they only "heard" from reviews that the quality was suspect.

Pedantic is not a big word, and you full well know what I meant. Why did you inject yourself into this anyway? Did the other guy call you up and beg you to? I doubt it. You are just nosy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  29. dear Santa....please bring me a stud gun.....

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He has to earn points with the "I hate HF club to be a full card carrying member".

I don't have one but no more than I would use one it would most likely do me fine. Sure would beat the hell out of drilling holes and pulling dents out with screws like the old days.

I wouldn't buy HF tools if I were to go back to twisting wrenches for a living but the ones I buy usually work fine for what I do out in the garage and driveway. The two 4-1/2 inch angle grinders get used and abused every time I go out in the garage and I'll probably buy a third one Saturday when we go down for a graduation back patting party that is close to where the closest HF store is. Some of us just don't have a tool budget that allows for going out and paying for "professional quality" tools off the tool truck to work on our own hot rods out in the garage.