Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Freight TIG welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by narducci, Mar 24, 2008.

1. duke182

duke182

i agree. i've been saving for a lincoln or snap-on model but it sure is hard to resist the low prices @hf, what with gasoline and food going higher and higher, and my paycheck remaining in a holding pattern.

2. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

I've got one and it works great... I step notched the rear of my Cadillac with it.... and a little help from the mig.

3. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

"Harbor Freight TIG welder"

Seriously, that's a pretty fucked up sentence right there.

4. narducci

narducci

Its not really a scratch TIG, its a lift arc. To start, you touch the tungsten to the work and lift slightly and the solenoid opens the gas valve, about 2 seconds later the arc starts. You finish the weld and the gas stays on for about 2-3 seconds . Its really a nice machine
    And I have used expensive Esab and Miller welders. I dont see any difference in the welds, just a lot of controls that complicate things. For a pro I guess they use all these extras. For me KISS is the way
    It also stick welds very nice with a 7018 3/32 rod

5. lehr

lehr

Anyone have any pictures of welds that they have made with this unit ?

6. banjorear

banjorear

I thought the current Hobarts are re-badged Millers. Difference is the (with MIG's) is that one uses a plastic drive wheel and the other a cast aluminum. Same machines otherwise.

Could be wrong.

7. I was wondering about the gas starting. Thanks for clearing that up.

8. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

This machine looks to be an Astro made in Italy.Not U.S.made but not terrible machines Sold by Daytona mig and, I have a 110 mig sold as a Mac Tools unit that is really an Astro .I wouldn't build a bridge with these things but for tin work they should be fine.Thats all my mig gets used for and when I bought it I thought I was buying American after all it has the Mac tools logo on it

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Wonder how thick you can go with this puppy? Motor mounts? Frame work?

10. narducci

narducci

I TIG'ed the 4"x2"x3/16" wall tubing with no problems. I ran it at about 80% . I has never kicked out for overcurrent nor does the unit get warm at all. It has a built in fan.
    Now Im not saying I welded a 3ft long bead or anything like that, but im not in a big hurry. Hell, if I was in a hurry, I wouldn't be using TIG !
    For the 3/16" i used a 1/16" tungsten and 1/8" filler rod with pure argon. For the .055" body panels, Im using 1/16" filler rod at about 40% power and it works great.
    Like someone said earlier, the weld dont care how much you paid for it, as long as you have good penetration and no inclusions.
    If your not sure, cut the weld open and look at it, I did.

11. I think "Oxymoron" is the term...:)

12. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

If a HF tool gets my car on the road faster, you bet yer sweet ass I'll buy it.

13. redrico1

redrico1

it will weld anything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart lol.

14. banjorear

banjorear

Could it weld the muzzle shut of that yappy dog that lives next door to me?

15. Who's Dawn?