Register now to get rid of these ads!

harbor freight 'sheet metal fab' kit ie bead roller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yeahRight, Sep 8, 2009.

1. yeahRight

yeahRight

- I'm trying to decide whether to spring for a horror freight 18'' Sheet Metal Fabrication Kit (34104-1VGA) and Adjustable Guide Fence (36474-4VGA).
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34104

Seen some ok reports about these and I need to fab up two door jamb sections that are rusted out on my 57 IH Metro. Flat stock with one deep curved recess the door slides into and a couple of smaller strengthening beads at the edges.

Is this a total waste of money or is it a 'good enough' solution for simpler jobs like this one? I know it's not Ron Covey masterclass technology but anyone got feedback on these things holding up or not, and how accurate they are? Or is it yet another HF comedy tool where you skin your knuckles as the pot metal shatters?

Any feedback and alternatives appreciated...

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

lots of posts on these. seems that the frame needs a bit of strengthening to work well. search harbor freight bead roller and a bunch of posts should pop up

3. 1931av8

1931av8

Yup...lots of threads to really gussie these up.

I welded 2x2 tube steel to the sides of mine. The head end rollers want to displace side by side. The tube steel completely cured that problem. Try it on some scrap and you will see what I am talking about. Also replaced the handle with a 1920's Dodge steering wheel. Hard to crank the stock handle and guide the piece you are rolling at the same time.

4. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Bad Henry likes this.