Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pirate, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I know a lot of guys here buy tools from Harbor Freight. I came across this on another website and am posting so everyone is aware that there is a recall and hopefully avoid any injuries or worse. Hope this thread doesn’t get deleted.

Harbor Freight recalls Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands

Harbor Freight Tools is recalling 454,000 Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, part number 61197.

The ratchet teeth on the jack stands may not sufficiently engage the pawl to a sufficient depth, possibly causing the stand to fail under load.

If the stand fails, it can suddenly drop, increasing the risk of injury to anyone nearby or under the lifted vehicle.

What to do
    Harbor Freight will notify owners, and dealers will provide a gift card equal to the shelf price of the jack stands free of charge.

The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Harbor Freight customer service at (800) 444-3353.

2. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Thanks I had that happen on another brand of jack stand, I turns out a lot of casting flash on the on the pawl. I was lucky it only dented my gas tank when it fell ( I was not under the car ). now I try to use two stands when I can.

Hombre and scrap metal 48 like this.
  3. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting! I just spent all winter under my '51 Ford while it was held up by four of those jack stands. I didn't have any problems... but if I had, I wouldn't be here to complain about it either, ha.

Hombre, loudbang and mgtstumpy like this.
  4. Wouldn't the wife let you back into the house when it got cold???:oops:

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

6 ton...that's the big tall ones, correct? I have what I'd consider HF's small jack stands. Those are maybe rated at about 3 ton? I think mine go up to about 16" or 17" tall.

Lynn

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    5window likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hnstray likes this.
  7. 5window

5window

Beat me to it! I deleted my post with the same link. It doesn't give manufacturing dates so I guess it for all 6 ton jack stands.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say those with that exact part number. Anytime you look at a HF flyer a number of items have several part numbers for the same item. Seeing this lets them track where said unit came from a lot easier. The slip I posted says worn out tooling in that plant for making that unit.
    Still it is wise to check any ratchet style stand and make sure that the paul fully engages the notch in the stand.

9. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife? What's a wife? No thanks I already paid for two of those.

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I had a jack stand from Princess Auto that failed. Being a cheapskate, I looked for the fault, found a bad roll pin and replaced it. Still using that jack stand.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I've a dozen of the stand, and really like HF, but when it come to crawling under the car/truck, I use the "pipe in pipe" stands I made years ago.

I use my HF stands for something that won't hurt me, i/e not being under the car (brakes/etc).

I still dislike going under a car with stands, bred into me from when I was young. My Dad had framed out a pit in the garage when he built it. When I was 14 or 15 I dug it out, he rebarred the hell out of it and concreted it in.

12. Nope, the only stands with teeth I have ONLY get used to set a semi bare frame on (no body) and I don't get under it. I have old jack stands that have a large through pin that I get under. I did get 2 new Autozone ones a few years ago, also with pins.

5window and Budget36 like this.
  13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would not trust any lightweight stand made in virus country.A jack stand is not something that should be selected by price.
    these are what I trust my life to , good and solid , sure they may be a little slower to raise but you can get the exact height you need. 37286FAF-D07D-49F7-9983-E871FC3223C6.jpeg AA06E4D1-C76B-4E0E-8DDE-2375D50AC310.jpeg

Tman, harpo1313, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  14. As opposed to One stand?

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. usually throw a tire/ wheel combo under as well with stands.....just a little wiggle out room.......

16. Pirate you may have saved a life , injury, or a damaged car. Tip of the hat to you!

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sadly a LOT of generic equipment we rely on for our hobby and marketed today is made offshore. I'm guilty like others and let price dictate my purchase. I worry about quality control and inferior materials being used. You may only get one chance with safety and it could be your last. Many things down here need to meet AUS and/or NZ standards before being sold, including jack stands.

18. Where did you get those? Who made them?

loudbang likes this.
  19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I still cut up early ford axle housings. Sorry

20. mickeyc

mickeyc

Where would one source American made jack stands with a proven safety credential?

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  21. Time machine.

Cosmo49, 41woodie, loudbang and 9 others like this.
  22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

loudbang likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

time machine...these ones sold for some bucks, but worth it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133348793815?

loudbang likes this.
  24. manyolcars

manyolcars

this is what I do no matter which jack/stands I use

harpo1313 and loudbang like this.
  25. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have 17 of these, different heights. Still use inflated wheels tho

loudbang likes this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

Have a welder and a way to drill holes? Pipe in pipe. Works good, last a long time;)

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  27. chopped

chopped

I wonder if the Chinese call our stuff "cheap American junk"?

28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Just read the thread on welding helmets. Buy a $300 helmet to save eyes then crawl under a vehicle held up by $40 pair of jackstands. Save eyes or save your life. ...The choices people make. I use railroad screw jacks that I have picked up over the years at farm auctions,garage sales etc. Heavy and can be a pain but when well oiled spin easily. Some I welded U shapes to for better holding.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  29. No suspect stands in my collection. I have 2 pairs of Sears stands I got back in 1983 for the stock car effort that are great. I picked up some heavier ones at garage sales over the years. My buddy made up his own set from angle iron and bar stock, probably good for 10 tons.

Ex wife in training asked me what I wanted when I graduated college in 1976... I said a pair of jack stands from Sears, even gave her a description. What did I get? ONE single stamped-steel stand... which I never used and it got added to a scrap metal run.

loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  30. 5window

5window

Well, a 6 ton stand isn't "lightweight", "virus country" is now the USA, the virus has nothing to do with making jack stands,just a political slur, and the strength of your jack stand relies on the un-threaded portion of the shaft which looks a bit thin to me, but have a nice day. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.