Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hanging Pedal Brake Plumbing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mosimpson, Dec 31, 2010.

1. mosimpson

mosimpson

I am preparing to plumb the brakes in my sedan project. The sedan has cowl steering and hanging pedals: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147848&page=7
    Since I am in the middle of the build I am constantly removing and replacing the body on the chassis. This got me to thinking it would be nice to be able to turn the brake fluid on/off where it gets disconnected between the body and chassis. I found these little valves that are used in circle track racing:

[​IMG]

Has any one ever plumbed something like this in there brake system?
    How much fluid would leak out, just what's in the line or the whole master cylinder reservoir?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Get you a hydraulic "dry seal " style quick dis-connects that are rated for brake fluid. These will not loose more than a drop max when you dis-connect. They are made in female 1/8 pipe size also. Not real cheap but will last damm near forever.

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

If that ball valve is not rated for brake fluids I think you may have an issue with the seals that hold the ball seals on the valve. I think John's part is worth the look.

4. oj

oj

Since the body is on and off why don't you just leave the bake fluid out? Adding another fitting to the brake system is not a good idea. I'd add an electrical connector or a quick-release pin to something to make things easier, but the brake and steering systems i keep as simple as humanly possible.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I used a small hydraulic quick-release coupling on surge brakes for a trailer [ I needed a removable tongue to slide under the trailer for storage ]

The hydraulic quick-release coupling worked perfectly , they've been used for years in industry
    If you want to be really sure of no air getting into the lines "downstream" of the coupling, I would suggest you Tee off a bleed screw after the coupling before any junction block.

I didn't bother on my trailer though!!