Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hand pressurized fuel tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Time Bandit, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Time Bandit

Time Bandit

Are hand pressurized fuel tanks available to buy or do you have to make one? I have a model A and the tank isn't usable but I wanted to make the thing into a little racecar. I don't want an electric pump and I've seen some cool hand pumps but can't find them available. Thanks for your input

2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Model A is gravity feed so not really needed, you’ll get sick of it pretty quickly unless you have a riding mechanic to pump on it. Have seen pumps for sale in England but not recently.
    Edit found two on EBay $350 was one price

loudbang likes this.
  3. Look for Kigass pumps. Usually they are expensive but I bought one of eBay for pennies - sometimes people don't know what they have. The other thing is that if you fit a Schrader valve to the gas cap you can pressurise it with any hand pump - a bike pump or the pump from a Coleman stove

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Time Bandit

Time Bandit

My Tank is rusted through so I would have to put a tank somewhere else in the car and Im trying to figure out how to get the gas to the carb without electricity. is there any way other than a hand pump?

5. i would think you could find a good usable Model A gas tank for a reasonable amount of money

if you don't want an electric fuel pump , one option would be a `32 or `33/34 4 cylinder motor...they had provisions for a mechanical fuel pump.

6. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

I found this old keg pump on ebay. Here it is on my speedster; there is a check valve in the line to hold the pressure.

pump1.JPG pump2.jpg

7. alchemy

alchemy

loudbang likes this.
  8. KFC

KFC
    from UK

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have an old outboard motor tank I use for starting cars with no gas tank and moving old cars around the lot. It has a hand pump built in. Newer ones have a rubber bulb you squeeze.

Old Cadillacs and possibly other cars of the twenties and earlier, used pressurized gas tanks. The Caddy had a little air pump built onto the transmission, it pressurized the gas tank to 2 pounds, it could also be used to pump up the tires.

Other old cars used this system, until it was replaced by the vacuum tank. Have you considered a vacuum tank?

They had their problems which is why they went to mechanical fuel pumps.

What do you have against electricity?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Old VW beetles had a windshield washer system pressurized by a hose from the spare tire to the washer bottle. You might rig up a similar deal to pressurize your fuel tank. As long as you remember to pump up the spare every time you get gas.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Time Bandit

Time Bandit

To be honest I like the simplicity of the model A. I have mechanical brakes and I wanted a gravity fed tank. Mainly because I've had to teach myself everything and I don't know how I would even begin to run an electric fuel tank.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

1) Buy electric fuel pump. Get the low pressure kind for a carburetor not the high pressure kind for fuel injection
    2) Install on car, near the gas tank, and low enough that the gas will flow to the pump by gravity. You want the pump pushing the gas not pulling it.
    3) Connect fuel lines
    4) Connect wiring. Wire it so it only runs when the ignition is on. You can install a switch in the line for extra safety and for theft protection.
    5) If it is a low pressure carb made for gravity feed like the stock Model A, you can add a pressure regulator next to the carb and set it at 2 pounds.

loudbang likes this.