Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hand-operated Clutch/Assist?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rat Rods Rule, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And change your name to corknweener. Some old Brit bikes operated the clutch with the shift lever but I don't think it included standing starts. Triumph called it slick shift.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. I guess one could operate the clutch with his right leg and use a hand brake for stopping. It would be awkward for sure but anything can be learned.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

While it's certainly a good academic exercise, at the end of the day, the YJ is a late model vehicle, available in Automatic. It's a work vehicle, not a Hot Rod.

I would suggest you save your labors and your money and put it toward pulling a Hot Rod build together and doing this clutch mod there. Personally, I think something like a lever on the shifter, something like a Model A parking brake release, would be the hot ticket if you can get the linkage sorted (cable I'd say).

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I've been contemplating the same idear for another build.

A hand operated clutch, I have two simple ideas:

One is this: ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1435687703.049323.jpg

Brake master of a motor bike, and put it on your shift lever. Clutch in, move shifter, clutch out and go.
    Seems simple enough to make, but since I don't know your skill level, you be the judge.

Option two:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1435687826.504263.jpg

Single circuit brake booster, from old brit cars. They was an aftermarket unit that found there way to many old cars of the 50s, 60s and 70s.
    Also Volvo, but I believe they was made by Lucas and/or bendix.
    Some one my chime in.

Those two items should give you happy clutching for the longest time. Separately or joint. I believe that would be a very simple setup, and very easy to learn to master.

And it doesn't care it it sits in a 30s model a, 50s showrod or a 70 work truck.
    But please don't put it in a RR, they are not know to be good engineering, so this wouldn't match up.

Give it a thought. Or just give it a go.

patmanta likes this.
  5. Rat Rods Rule

Rat Rods Rule

Dear 31Vicky with a hemi,

Do you notice anything different, between your response, and EVERY other, HELPFUL, COMPASSIONATE response here? Because I do....

To answer your questions (but taking the last one first), i.e., "30 years and you won't marry that girl?"

No, I never married her. But when she SUFFERED A STROKE, 18 months ago, I became her Primary Care Giver, driving her to P/T., O/T., Cognitive Testing, and various other "rehabs," FIVE DAYS OUT OF SEVEN, with three appointments every Monday, and actively participating, and taking notes, in EVERY one of her O/T and P/T sessions (many of which lasted 3-4 hours), as well as helping her learn to walk and drive again, safely--which is STILL a work in progress, in terms of driving. (Not to mention dealing with H.R., helping her hang onto her job during her extended leave).

Though I DID re-injure my 30-year old knee injury, being her Primary Care Giver, which is how I came to "darken your door," today.

But please tell me--exactly WHY do I need to explain my reasons for not marrying--to YOU?

And since you seem so interested, let me tell you: I never asked her to marry, and she never asked me.

So I'll ask YOU--will YOU MARRY ME, "Vicky"? (Because it's legal-like, as of two days ago...).

As to the Rest of Your Hostile, Inappropriate, Personal Attacks (in an automotive forum question about assisting persons with injuries/disabilities), "31Vicky with a hemi:”

Guilty! Yes, I ADMIT I did not read your "simple rules" here--being a 3rd shifter, I've been up 48 hours, and probably have to buy this Jeep today, or someone else will. Yet, despite being on a lot of forums, I've never seen rules against being "...overly wordy and liberal with formatting and colors..." (whatever that means).

In fact, instead of sleeping, I've been so busy trying to keep up with all the VERY helpful responses here, that I ADMIT I STILL have not even looked for, let alone read, any "simple rules" barring one from being guilty of being "overly wordy and liberal with formatting and colors."

You ask: "Does all that bandwidth you used up simply state :
    Bad leg, help with clutch assist please?"

Yes.
    Would you like me to make a donation toward the site's web server's fees? I've already received enough kind, compassionate assistance, from others, that I'm happy to do so.

You ask if all my wordiness can be boiled down to:
    "Bad leg, help with clutch assist please?"

Yes, if I wanted to be rude. (Except, I was raised, by a 90 y.o. WWII combat vet [he served in the Motor Pool, in the invasion of Leyte, Philippines], to give a courteous explanation for why I'm for asking for help, and [no offense], your "Bad leg, help with clutch assist please?" would not be considered very polite, where I come from--which is America).

Further, on any of the dozen-plus truck, car, snowmobile, boat or tractor forums I frequent, anyone asking a question as simplistic as "Bad leg, help with clutch assist please?" would be (rightly) chastised for not providing enough CONTEXT for anyone to render a meaningful answer, because most people are not MIND READERS.

You say:
    "I'm not going to read thru and find it because I'm to busy for that much like yourself. Also much like yourself concerning answers, I'd like the question spoon fed to me."

I'm sorry, "31Vicky with a hemi," but I can't even begin to decipher whatever it is your trying to say here--can you? I think you need to make up your mind--how can I be too "wordy" (meaning I'm willing to type and explain my situation, as completely as I reasonably can) but that somehow (in your mind) translates into me expecting the answers to be "spoon fed" to me?

I'm sorry, but you're on your own, on that one, "Vicky."

You accuse me of "... posting a certain other website name for your screen name here..." and I have NO idea WHAT you're even talking about!

But then, I only subscribe to, and read:
    All four Hemmings' publications.
    Autoweek.
    The Automotive News

And several industry trade publications.
    I also watch the better car shows, like "Restoration Garage," "Phantom Works," "Wheeler Dealers," "Bitchin' Rides" and some of the goofier ones, just for fun.

I've also worked, IN SERVICE, for a high-end, luxo-importer's National Headquarters, as well as two, domestic dealers-again, in the "back shop."
    And I've been an automotive enthusiast since my father had me driving an F-250, at 8 y.o., in his heavy construction business, before I moved onto Macks, hydraulic cranes, Cat loaders/dozers, Case backhoes (and too many pieces of equipment to list here).

And yet, again, I have NO knowledge that "Rat Rods Rule" is the name of another website.
    If it's true, can you find it in your heart to forgive me, "Vicky?"
    Or is that a hanging offense?

And can you tell me why it's so (obviously) insulting/threatening, to YOU, but no one else if, in fact, I have committed this most egregious of sins?

Please do me a favor--please NEVER, EVER, read anything I write here, again, okay? And I promise to do the same. Meaning, you can sling a whole fresh load of manure my way, and I WILL NOT READ IT.

Now, if you don't mind, since I am the Primary Care Giver for my Life Partner, who is recovering from a STROKE, and I, myself, am too injured (back surgery, shoulder, knee, plantar fasciitis, and arthritis) to SHOVEL SNOW, or run a snow blower, I'd like to proceed with following up on some of the EXCELLENT, COMPASSIONATE, CREATIVE and EXPERT ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS I've been given, in order to allow me to modify this Jeep so I can take care of our snow removal issues.

Oh--I know an internationally-reknowned psychotherapist, if you feel like it might be helpful to talk to someone, about your unsolicited hostility toward injured people you don't even know, in what's SUPPOSED to be an inclusive, "Big Tent" automotive hobby....

If that is of interest to you, and/or you'd like me to make a donation toward this site's web server/admin. fees (given all the "bandwidth" your so concerned about), please have SOMEONE ELSE PM me, and I'll gladly make the contribution and/or pass along the psychotherapist's information for you.

May you find peace in the next life, if not in this one....

Peter
    P.S.: To everyone else, I can't thank you, enough, for your IMMEDIATE, ONGOING, WONDERFULLY-HELPFUL, CREATIVE and COMPASSIONATE suggestions and advice. :) If I'm not banned from this website, I will return, to follow up on your suggestions, gladly, once I recover from "Vicky's" onslaught, which I suspect may take a bit. I never meant to cause any trouble, but I certainly do not put up with...the type of behavior you witnessed here today, by "Vicky."

So, thank all of you kind-hearted, creative problem-solvers, again, for your compassion and advice. (And I will gladly change my screen name, if it conflicts with the culture of this fine website. I honestly had no idea it [R.R.R.] would be in bad form, here--especially given the url, i.e., www.jalopyjournal.com. As I said, as soon as a fellow enthusiast referred me to your website, for info on a hand-clutched Model A build, I just popped over here and signed up with the first name I could think of, the fastest. So I'll gladly change it from R.R.R. to something more acceptable, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could advise me how to do this, as I tried to do it myself, after the very first comment, but could not figure it out--I guess I'm just not that smart, and my graduate degree was definitely not in I.T. :rolleyes:

6. Option #1 will not work. You'll never displace enough fluid, with that dinky M/C setup, to move the slave cylinder enough to take up the slack in the system, much less disengage the clutch.
    To RRR, I suspect you will be banned soon or, at the least, have this thread locked or deleted. I do wish you well with your dilemma. You've gotten some good ideas and some lousy ones.

7. Timbofor

Timbofor

Wow. Talk about posting a novel.
    I'll just get to the point.
    My idea would be a hand operated steering brake master cylinder sourced from a dune buggy supplier. Keep the lever as short as practicle and mount it on the left side next to the seat. Allowing the right had to operate the shifter.

8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thinks so or know so? Can you prove me wrong? Not just claim me wrong, get enough of that for the wife!

Do you know the bore of that thing? The stroke? The amount of liquid moved pr compression?

I'm not trying to be a hard ass here, but it should work. And until you prove me wrong, please give it the benefit of the doubt!!!

The guy and the idea!

Or at least it should work as a master for the booster!

9. Hell carl at least he spurned some good conversation and you got to tell about your boss hoss. That doesn't happen everyday. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. I often wonder if some of the new posts are just someone behind the curtain pulling everyone's chains. Picture a bored boss with a mad hatter's far away glass eyed gaze ... cheefin' away on his magic mushroom hookah and smiling like the cheshire cat. Lol I won't mention names ... but I like this thought a lot.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Hey Volvobrynk,

That hand lever would be cool on a shifter like the Mopar pistol-grip. I do think Carl has a point though, as an automotive pressure plate typically has a massively greater spring rate compared to anything on any motorcycle. Ever wonder why a clutch pedal travels so far to move the clutch fork so little distance? Leverage. Not only that, but a leg is massively more powerful than an arm (not to mention a wrist or just fingers). It would be cool though, if you could figure out a way to avoid the hand cramps.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yeah. It's called "Trolling" but most Trolls don't write novellas. Their goal typically is to hit and run with some quick cheap shots.

kidcampbell71 and patmanta like this.
  13. Actually I have a now deceased friend who's arms and hands were way stronger then his legs. Of course he was a paraplegic. I have always been stronger from the waist up too. Lots of challenged people in the world.

In general people's legs are more potent but that is in general.

There are lots of good points made on the thread, and lots of things that work on paper that will never work on practice. But that is what brainstorming is all about getting ideas and trying to work them out. Isn't it.

14. Yep. Just can't wrap my head around all of this. P-R-N-D-2-1 ... menh' ... done. Now where to mount the plow switches ? No offense to Joe Namath and stick shift Jeeps either. Still an entertaining read. Just giggling a little. That's all. You guys are greatness.

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Isn't there a saying about it being "simple math does is, and sometimes it's not that simple, but math non the less".
    Or is it only in Danish

It's a matter of mixing a matching, and finding the right size bore, adapt what you have or make a bellcrank for the outside slave cylinder. It's possible to make it work, it's just a matters of your skill level and how much you wants it.

16. Actually there is quite a difference between trolling and being a troll. Trolling is what the fellas do down at the adult book store and being a troll is what people do on the internet to stir the pot so to speak.

All that said a bumble bee can't fly. Of course no one informed the bumble bee of that fact.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.