Register now to get rid of these ads!

hand bendable brake lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by synthsis, Sep 14, 2007.

1. synthsis

synthsis

I used the ol' search function and went 8 pages back with no luck so here we are with a new post. I know it's been discussed but I need to know where to get the brake line that you can bend by hand. I've got a bender and a flare block but I think I'd be more comfortable using this new hi-tech stuff since I can bend it back if I goof. show me what you got :cool:

2. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I be interested as well, brand names and approx. price.:cool:

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The brand name we sold at Specialized was "KANT-KINK". Each piece came with coilspring antirub. Some other company bought them out and eliminated the spring wrap, cheap bastards. The stuff was fabulous and easy to work with, easy to shorten and redo the ends.

4. donnie

donnie
    from NC

NAPA carries it or can get it.

5. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

yea i hear NAPA has it

6. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Yeah I did my whole 55 with preflared bendable by hand brake line from NAPA. The sell it pre made in various lengths

7. synthsis

synthsis

just called my NAPA connection and he said he's got em or can get em same day.

8. I just used regular parts store stuff the last two jobs. Bends fine as long as you don't need tight curves. I used a bender to make tight curves, one car I even made a loop in it to make the lines I had work on it.

9. I buy it at Auto Zone. Bends like butter, no kinks.

10. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

The stainless that Summit sells will bend by hand fairly easy if you want better than regular line.

11. synthsis

synthsis

can you get me a link or part number? I was on Summit earlier and could only find pre-fit stainless braided lines.

12. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I just bend 'em up by hand, too...real tight stuff won't work, but...I may investigate this stuff next time, 'cuz I threw out a couple of "failed attempts" last time...

13. boozoo

boozoo

What do y'all use for a bender for the tight spots and the larger tubing? The typical benders that most people sell can't bend anywhere near as tight as some of the factory stuff I've seen.

14. To make a tight bend you had to bend the line several times, it helps to add a piece or slip a rod through the end if you need to bend it close to the end. I used the parts store $15 bender and like I said made a complete loop on the ends of a couple pieces where it was like 6" too long to fit right.

15. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I started a thread on this very subject. Search threads started by me and I'm sure you'll find it. Part numbers, prices, the whole 9.

16. synthsis

synthsis

thanks for the tip :D

17. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

18. Notorious

Notorious

I haven't seen any standard automotive-type steel tubing available in many, many years that wasn't of the non-kink variety. For extremely tight bends and/or larger sizes, a bender is still advisable. But for anything else it shouldn't be needed. The larger the size, such as 5/16" and 3/8" for fuel lines, it does require a bit more care. But still it shouldn't be a problem if you handle it properly. Non-kink tubing is hardly anything new.

19. Bundyflex is the brand name that pioneered this non kink brake line 45 years ago, if you can still find it. Everco use to distribute it a couple of years ago.

20. When I bend lines, I use everything from a $150 dollar bender to a $5 job to my knee and some mandrels I improvised with in the vise.

21. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

for aircraft we use a cheap hand bender and pretty hefty stainles...it bends easy if you have man-hands! my least favorite part of the harder metal is not the bending but making sure the end is filed PERFECTLY so it doesn't split/crack when you flare it.

I wouldn't trust my life to copper brake lines. for most of the auto stuff I've done, just got the mild steel stuff from napa, like everyone else already said!

22. I prefer the lines that CARQUEST carries. NAPA stocks 7 footers, the only one here that has those. But the quality in mild steel is different.

When it comes to stainless, I buy em from our bearing supply house.

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Copper Nickel stuff in the U.K. is called Kunifer, Excellent stuff, I like to use the annealed stainless from Speedway, Bends & flares very easily.
    I use small alternator pulleys for bending.

24. WallingfordHotRods

WallingfordHotRods
    from Seattle

Like everyone has said, call NAPA! I use to work for them straight out of highschool. I still buy most of my parts & supplies from them. I do a lot of custom brake and fuel lines at the day job.(old Land Rovers) You can buy tubing in 25ft rolls, maybe 50. It's super easy to work with. I can bend it mostly by hand, but the really tight curves take a bender.

I would also stay away from the British stuff, It's not that it's bad, just that it's easy to mess up by over tightening. Ask me how I know....

25. rodknocker

rodknocker

use any lines from any of the suppliers and a can of spray paint.Simply use the can to roll the line around.I can't count how many times I've done this.I don't own a bender,just use the can.

26. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

I've used the napa brake line a few times and it is AWSOME! I needed new lines on my wagon and a local rod shop was going to charge me 500 big ones to run new lines. So that motivated me! I just buy what i think i need go for it and take what ever i don't use back.

keith

27. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

28. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

that looks awesome! it's always a pain for me to try to bend the line close to the fitting and I knew there were probably a few tools available but have always just put off looking for one until 'next time'...

29. 61bone

61bone

Bake line and benders are pld hat. If you want to do really tight or short bends, get some fitting at your parts store to adapt to your portopower pump. Fill the tube with jack oil hook to the pump and pressuriseto near the pumps capacity. At this point, you can wrap 3/16 around a nail without it collapsing or kinking. Kinda a poormans mandrel bending. Drain out the oil and flush with brake cleaner a little air an your good to go.:)