Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hammertone Paint Durability For Engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66galwag, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 66galwag

66galwag
    from SoCal

I've seen reference to people painting their engines with hammertone paint. I like the idea of this but was wondering how well it stands up to the heat? I'd be using rattle cans - most likely rustoleum hammered finish. How does it compare to regular rattle can engine paint durability wise?

Thanks

2. papajohn

papajohn

I used gold hamertone spray on my valve covers, cast iron intake and dash insert on a 60 olds with a 394. The intake was always too hot to touch, but the paint held up well.

loudbang likes this.
  3. 66galwag

66galwag
    from SoCal

Sounds good, thanks.

4. oldolds

oldolds

I don't know about on an engine. I used Rustoleum hammertone spray can on the front bumper of my daily driver truck. It was a pitted chrome bumper. Sanded it with 120 grit and sprayed right over the chrome. 4 years later and 50k later it still looks fine. Always outside in northeast PA, driven in the winter.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago I worked in a processing plant where we used hammertone paint on pieces of equipment that nment were in a pretty harsh environment and it held up pretty well.

6. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I did my engine 2 years ago with the gold spray can hammer tone and it still looks good. A little peeling over the exhaust ports on the heads, but the engine paint did the same thing.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  7. I've had the speedo cowl ( dash ) on my early H.D. for about 3 years in the direct Aridzona sun with NO problems what so ever !

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Some outboard motors came with hammertone finish in the fifties.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think surface cleaning and preparation, and a good primer, would go a long way to improve any paint's durability.

Ray

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The engine in my avatar has been painted hammertone Rustoleum silver/gray for about ten years and it still looks great.