Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hammering on cast aluminum, bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hawaiianstyle, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

I have a new set of cast aluminum valve covers and they are just barely touching two of my lifter springs. If they were sheet metal I would just tap them out a little with a ball peen. If I try that on cast aluminum will I crack it?

2. Probably.

Will taller gaskets help ?

3. Just to clarify, I'm not being a smart ass, but I'm assuming you mean valve springs. Dont use the hammer. Would thicker or double gaskets fix the issue? If not a die grinder is the best, but remember the cover is not that thick. BDM.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  4. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

No way would I hammer on that, die grinder!

6. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

If you whack it good and hard you can shatter into tiny bits, then melt 'em down and cast some valve covers that fit.

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VERY bad idea.

8. There are thick valve cover gaskets available for some motors, also spacers. Barring that I would use a die grinder and clearance them

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Buy cork gaskets and glue them together

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

Taller valve covers is the best way to go.

11. run em
    that spot will wear off quickly and any debris will be picked up by your oil filter
    remember to run at a higher break in rpm until noise slows down..

or grind rocker arms

they will only hit while valves are closed for awhile
    tell people you are converting it to a diesel..

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even if that's your idea of a joke it isn't funny or good advice to anyone.

Hawaiianstyle< I think you have it covered but most popular engines have an assortment of different thickness of gaskets and there are spacers available for most of them to lift the valve covers up off most high lift or roller rockers.

13. QUOTE=paperdog;5885291]run em
    that spot will wear off quickly and any debris will be picked up by your oil filter
    remember to run at a higher break in rpm until noise slows down..

or grind rocker arms

they will only hit while valves are closed for awhile
    tell people you are converting it to a diesel..[/QUOTE]

Actually it is funny.The previous posts already talked about spacing the valve covers.How many times to we have to reiterate it. I don't think anyone would take paperdog seriously so lighten up dude! :cool:

14. ooops forgot smilliys and lol :);):)

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I have no idea why but both of these VCs were pounded out on the ends for clearance I guess. They were drilled for an Olds engine when I got them. I tried to file and sand down the bump but you can still see where it was. I was afraid to pound them back in. I didn't want to press my luck.

16. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

if you heat it just right you can move it with a hammer BUT if you go to far it will crack use propane to heat the aluminum when the flame turns pink its hot enough if you make it to hot the spot will just drop out in a spot of liquid metal it will take along time to heat it hot enough the whole part will get hot at the same time it will help to put them in the oven at 450 before you start with the propane
    THIS is RISKY but it can be done if you have an extra set then go for it if you crack one it can be welded up np no risk no gain i say a true hotrod is always about testing the boundries of what can be done

good luck

Paul

17. Since the contact areas made marks on the cover, I'd toss it up on the Bridgeport and mill a shallow pocket with a 3/8" or 1/2" ball end mill.

Bob

18. Double up on the gaskets...

19. how come no one wants to alter/nip the offending edge of the rocker arms?
    ifn they are stamped steel a little trimming should be ok or swappin them with others,move em around or with some new ones
    seems that if they are just barely touching hogging out the cover seems tolerable as a last resort(may cause dangerous) but it may be a sign of other complications in the head like loose springs , wrong push rods ,bad valves,, stretched, bent or enlarged valve seats. overall valve lift is a tolerance that should be checked .. may be a sign of excessive wear or possible mismatched parts

some mfr's of covers are known to always hit thats why they float around at swapmeets so cheap:)

okay use taller gaskets , taller covers ????? the easiest way out of this may not be the right way

good luck

20. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i would beat the shit out of em , first i would get drunker then a rat so i would have an excuse to tell everyone .
    x2 on the gaskets...

21. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

As my long departed father used to say

"Fuck it.... just beat on it with a hammer"