Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMBs goin' to Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Car Gurl, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Car Gurl

Car Gurl

Headed to Scottsdale again for the auctions... should be interesting this year... wish I had a pocket full of cash! LOL

2. buying cars for the muesem?

3. speed-kings

speed-kings

Have a great time.

4. OneBad56

OneBad56

Make sure you give us an honest report when you get back, something Speed channel leaves out in their commentary.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'd like to watch our hobby go down the shitter but I'm not gonna. I could care less what half-million dollar car gets sold for$25k. Waste of time. It's about the cars, not the $$$.

6. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

has anyone caught any of this on tv? how bout those "bid assistants"

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cant wait to see that show dry up and blow away

8. 2002p51

2002p51

I actually enjoy it and my wife and I look forward to watching every year. Now understand, I couldn't care less about the bidders, or about how much they're paying. I just like to see the cars and hear the commentary. Sometimes I learn something, sometimes they get stuff wrong. Sometimes we laugh at how awful a certain car may look, and sometimes we see cars we wish we could own. But they always get some fabulous cars run across the block and it's just fun to see 'em all.

9. what's the differnce between BJ and Mecum? how come nobody talks about Mecum on here?

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well i guess i will have to admit to having it on...but i turn the sound off..i "watch" it sometimes, but just to see the cars..thats it.
    but if it went off the air..it wouldnt bother me at all

11. mottsrods

mottsrods

If your not going to buy, or to sell, then why go?

12. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Only one reason to watch Barrett Jackson: Amy Sparks Assiter.

13. gassman57

gassman57

Barrett/Jackson........

Watch the whole thing; the wife and I love it...........
    Look for a 'gassman57' fantasy bid win.

14. the-rodster

the-rodster

Spanky is a lucky fucker.

Rich

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This is on the block on Friday...yeah, I'd hate to miss an opportunity to buy this baby...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. sololobo

sololobo

You can give this auction some bad raps very easy. But I must admit it is a real fun experience to see all the cars, vendors, hot chicks, and all the other stuff going on. I went several years ago and had a blast, spent about a half hour with Reggie Jackson talking cars and baseball, he couldn't have been nicer. It is a glitzy deal these days , but still a interesting event that I say hats off to the staff that has created this mega buck bonanza!! Live and let live!!~Sololobo~

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

I'll be at Barrett on Saturday. Mostly going to check out the vendors. So much cool automobilia and memorabilia. Better than the cars I think. Too bad the whole thing is geared toward the filthy rich.

18. Joatha

Joatha

On one hand, I utterly hate what B-J has done to the hobby. Everyone now has an incredibly inflated value placed on their cars and as a trickle down effect, the parts too. Sad part is, most of the cars that pass through B-J are well-pedigreed cars with tons of documentation and are typically pretty rare. Comparing a 1 of 11 Hemi Cuda convertible (as an example) with a garden variety 1 of several thousand 318 Cuda convertible is apples and oranges. And yet, so many folks do that its not even funny. Its really driven a lot of artifcial cost in to our hobby.

On the other hand, the higher costs and desirability have also fueled the repro parts industry and the hobby in general to offer parts/service that would've never been available otherwise. And, let's face it, you can't restore most cars very easily (or cheaply) without aftermarket reproductions. NOS parts are darn near impossible to find and dang expensive. So, that's one bit of good fallout from auctions like B-J and the increased prices. I also collect Barracuda's (66, 68 conv, and 69 fastback) which I realize are non-HAMB friendly. But, I could never get one in decent shape without the aftermarket parts.

Plus, I do have to admit that I enjoy seeing a lot of the cars that pass across the auction block. There are some really really nice cars that pass across the auction block and I can truly appreciate how they've been restored/maintained/built. And, some of them are extremely rare vehicles that you'd never get to see otherwise. Many of them I would never purchase or want to own. But, I can definitely appreciate their historic value and the workmanship that went in to them.

19. Meyer

Meyer

The auction business for them is just a hobby. Their goal is to do estate/financial planning for the really wealthy who show up there. The auction is just the draw to get them there.

20. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

You are definitely in the minority. They let him go because he didn't know shit about the muscle cars that were taking over the auction. He belongs over at R-M where the mix of cars is more toward the European and exotic. Those he knows.

21. Hambone64

Hambone64

I couldnt agree more! Hell with the $100,000 Camaro pace cars and rare Mustang ... Shes gorgeous!!

22. A junk yard T-bird with a chey clip ??????????????????????????????
    Sum 1 was smokin sum good sh*t.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

23. Let's see now, thousands of cars to look at, massive amounts of memoribilia, vendors, beautiful women, AMY, the wonder girl. Thats enough for me.
    It is so cool to get on here and say all the cool things like how it's ruining the hobby and the cars suck, but I watch every minute and if I could I would be there.

24. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Sorry Kerry, but that's not exactly true. It's the big bucks stuff that gets all the attention.

There are a lot more cars that sell for under $20,000 than over $100,000.

I've sold there- and made good money on every car, and I've gotten some really good deals there as a buyer.

Sure there are a lot of poseurs and phoneys but that makes for some really good people watching entertainment.

Besides that, as a registered bidder, you get "free" drinks the whole time. (Well, only 10 comp drinks per day per person) and you even get a buddy pass so they get free drinks too.

So, let me see,--

Sit at home and be a self-declared expert, bitching about something I've never been to and never participated in based on the fraction of the whole event that is shown on TV;

or;

See all kinds of reallly cool car stuff, drink free beer, check out the babes, drink free beer, meet all kinds of car celebrities, drink free beer, make money on the cars I sell and get good deals on others, drink free beer, occasionally wave at friends while I'm on Speed TV and they're watching from home while I drink free beer.

Tough choice.

Diaclaimer: While I sit here, I'm looking at the photo of Amy she autographed for me. She liked the '29 Ford I bought last year. Days later she approached me and asked about it. She liked how "mean" it seemed and sounded.

25. noboD

noboD

Alain is a pro when it comes to European cars, didn't know much about American Muscle Cars. I love his shows on Speed Vision. At least they got rid of Brock Yates. With all the years in the magazine business he didn't know shit when he had a mic in his hand. If Amy screamed in my face one time like she does the bidders, I think I'd punch her in the head!

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

Where do you get that I will sit home ? Like I said, I'll be there Saturday and I go every year. And yes it is geared toward the rich. Just the way it is..........Not saying that I don't enjoy it though. And how much does it cost you to get the "FREE" beer ? $500 to get a bidders pass ? Does not sound free to me...........Have fun.

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Well, Well, Well, I see that B-J hasn't lost all of it's charm and magnetism for the HAMB set. Some of you guys must have a terribly full plate to not take in the free entertainment offered by the Barret-Jackson telecast. As for us up here in the Godforsaken snow country it's a welcome break from shoveling and the continual exercise of putting on your snowmobile suit and taking it off just to go to the mail box.:mad:
    I know there is a lot (if you can believe the posts) of popcorn consumed by the partons here but this is one time I actually pop a big bowl, grab a large Mt. Dew and spend some relaxing time watching other people buy the cars that should be in my garage.;)

Frank

28. Kerry67

Kerry67

Hey, do you think that was her way of telling you she wanted to Do You ?? I mean out of all those cars she is around, yours was the one she remembered that seemed & sounded "mean" ??? HHmmmm............

29. 28chevrat

28chevrat

I would just go and walk around and scream like the bid assistants do...haha..
    But in all seriousness if you haven't gone, I think you should try it once.

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Have fun Holly! I haven't been in many years. Are you perhaps going to head to the GNRS the following weekend? In any event, make it to the stage and wave at us left here at home in the cold. :D

If you wear your HAMB t-shirt I'll wave back from my chair in the shop in front of the TV.