Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hamber's who surf.....Roll Call

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Farmer, Sep 22, 2008.

1. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

In the 70's we surfed SilverStrand, Ventura, and Rincon CA. Now, when we cruz through those parts, the waves don't seem so big. hummm? B

2. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I useta surf. Almost half a century ago. Dana Point, Huntington Cliffs every Christmas morning. That was before we had wet suits. That seems cold to me now. Wayno

3. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hey
    What's up guys?
    Anyone want to work at a hot rod shop in the beach town of Wilmington, NC? When it is good, we close the doors and run down to the beach. The cost of living is here that you can do that.

visit www.sakowskimotors.com to find out more about the shop.

I thought that this might interest someone on here, and maybe it could lead to a good thing for everyone.

THE NEW SHOP: getting moved in
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w95.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w95.photobucket.com/albums/l146/sakowskimotors/Wilmington North Carolina Shop/104beaf5.pbw" height="180" width="600">

LOCAL CAROLINA SURF THIS YEAR. courtesy of carolinasurf.com, mattluskphotography, wblivesurf.com
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w95.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w95.photobucket.com/albums/l146/sakowskimotors/Wilmington North Carolina Shop/e15a6270.pbw" height="180" width="600">

CAR SHOWS IN WILMINGTON LAST WEEKEND. The city of Wilmington kind of reminds me of a big Paso Robles on the water. The Maulers Port City Hot Rod Rumble next weekend.
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w95.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w95.photobucket.com/albums/l146/sakowskimotors/Wilmington North Carolina Shop/b3c93211.pbw" height="180" width="600">

I just moved the family from LA to the beach town of Wilmington, North Carolina.
    I love it here.
    Affordable housing, I bought a great 1920's 6300sq foot shop, fun surf (check out the tour on the website www.sakowskimotors.com), nice people, lots of cars.
    Last weekend weekend there were 2 car shows, one in historic downtown, one by the battleship. Next weekend is the Port City Maulers Show downtown. Also, there are tons of cars in Charlotte.

Maxton land speed course is only 1.5 hours away, to get ready for Bonneville Speedweek 2009.

Wrightsville Beach is 15 minutes from the shop for lunchtime surf.

I could have moved anywhere in the USA, but narrowed it down to this town.
    It kind of reminds me of a Southern CA beach town from the 1950's. I think it has much more in common with an old CA beach town then modern day 2008 LA does. Or maybe this is just what I am looking for at this point of my life.

I am keeping a small shop in LA still, for shows, bringing in big projects, and buying and selling cars. Half of what we do is cars in the shop, the other half is buying and selling classics, hot rods, and customs.

We also do some picture car work, and plan to be doing some work with Screen Gems Studios, the largest movie studio outside of California. We are right down the street from them.

What I am looking for:

1- someone to take pics of cars and list them on Egay, etc as well as other places, help get the cars ready to sell, details them, find cars etc etc

2- a mechanic, a fabricator, with some experience at shops or their own cars, looking to go to the next level

3- a top notch professional (20 years experience in a reputable professional shop) looking for a new opportunity in an affordable beach town.
    Mechanic or fabricator.

I prefer nice people with manners and class. When did having no class become so cool? No drugs at all,or alcohol problems, unless you are addicted to running blown alcohol FEDs. Since I am not cool, I prefer just nice decent people, with a positive attitude. Think 1950's Americana, that is how my shop is.
    This is a family style shop, with my family regularly here.

I am looking for people who are outstanding people, not just at the shop, but outside of the shop, that want to be a part of the dream we are living. This is not just a hobby for me, but a lifestyle, and a dream. If you are looking for a regular "job", this probably isn't the place. You have to "get it".

I am looking to meet some nice people, get to know them, and maybe it will be a good fit for now, or the future.

Thanks for your interest.
    Take Care.
    Wil Sakowski
    **email interest to [email protected]
    910 399 5939 Wilmington Shop
    310 978 9558 LA Shop

4. "The Endless Summer" (1966) is on ESPNC right now... just in case you've never seen it.

If you haven't... shame on you... lot'sa cool old cars too

Just saw a cool 40's Ford panel truck in South Africa, Nice 32 (maybe) Tudor in AUS... will keep updating.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  5. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

We surf on the Oregon coast too.......

Attached Files:

6. Wow, this threads up to 10 pages long now.
    I think we struck a chord.

7. let's vote on it :)

i'm a water dog

8. I know one guy who surf in Sheboygan and a few Lake Superior surfers... the Sheboygan guys are nutty... the ones that surf around T-bay and Duluth MN/Superior WI are NUTZ!!! Lake Superior is 33 degrees on a hot August afternoon... if your lucky! Can you say shrinkage?

9. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Was living in Garden Grove in 1961/62. Tried when ever I could. Mostly had to beat up the 12 year olds to use their boards. Was never very good but did a little.

10. I surf a few days a week, I go back and forth from cali, where I usually hit el porto at manhattan beach. and Rhode Island, where I surf pt judith in Narragansett, also when back east I like to hit cape cod MA, as well as new hampshire. The east coast is rad for surfing. Inconsistant as anything, but when it s good its great.

11. ShortBus

ShortBus

I've been surfing for about 15 years. And boy are my arms tired! *rimshot*

My most epic day; I once shared one with a porpoise at C St. in Ventura. His dorsal fin popped out of the wave as I was dropping in. The sight of the fin tripped me out for a second until I realized who he was. He cruised in the wave ahead of me for a bit then did a nice jump out of the face and back in. Perfect timing from the master. Ya shoulda heard the hoots I got from the lineup for that ride.
    Been too long, I'm sooo dehydrated..

I did a little swim-out surf photography in the 90s but found it far easier to leave the camera on shore than the board when it was spittin'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Not to much these days. I have a bud who calls me when it is good at my favorite spot.Anybody ever gets over here look me up and I can hook you up.

13. Surfed C St this morning. A little inconsistent but clean. A couple of head high waves made it worthwile. I haven't been out much for the last few months and a nice sunny morning session sure felt good! I'm so glad Fall is here, my favorite surfing season.

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pacifica was head+3 Sunday. Didn't go though.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  15. mottsrods

mottsrods

Hey Bill, I liked Johns Island, wanted to buy a house there, but never could find what I wanted. So I bought a condo on SeaBrook Island. I would paddle from SeaBrook to Botany Island about 2 times a week. You could swim with the turtles out there. It was so awesome.

Mott

16. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Mott, They used to live on Seabrook. Thats actually where we go to the beach at. She still has friends there and we get a pass through them. Nice and private.

Later,Bill

17. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Possible hurricane south swell for SOCAL.
    Sold one of my custom boards to a co-worker the other day. He has just gotten into it. The guy does snow board pretty well and has recently gotten into surfing.
    Dude is a few year younger than me.....he acted like he was 5 years old and getting his first pedal bike. He has been out twice on the board and totally stoked.

18. Heading back to Rhode Island tomorrow, I cant wait for some of those cool clean uncrowded waves.

19. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I dig Surf music, does that count?

20. Justin5000

Justin5000

Been Surfing for 10 years. Lived in the Outer Banks for 3 years after high school. God times and waves. Hatteras was always a nice little trip down. Just went on my honeymoon in May to Costa Rica. Day was surfing, night was with the wife. Any guys on this board who lived in the Outer Banks from 01 to 03, give me a shout.

21. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

surfing, I do it on the snow.

22. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

may in Costa? Where Nosara or Tamarindo ?

23. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

well i havent had a chance to chime in here yet, but i hope some of you SoCal guys caught that last swell that came in!

Huntington was 4ft+ glassy and hollow today at the cliffs, seems like we have another swell coming in too, its not as big but it has better shape to it. was having a blast riding my quad fin Chuck Dent fish, water temp has dropped like 10 degrees in the past week, time to invest in wetsuit haha.

heres my surf wagon/daily

[​IMG]

24. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

We had fun thigh / waist high peelers with 85 degree sunny weather and 74 degree water the last couple of days here in Wilmington, NC. We close the shop and hit it whenever it is decent a couple times a week for an hour or so.
    wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  25. Flea

Flea

I surf. Haven't done it in a while because I got the bright idea 7 years ago to move to Minnesota. I want to move back bad.

26. kaui

kaui
    from SJC calif

Got my first board late 60 from Rich Harbour, and have been surfing ever since, even got a chance to surf while in Nam was there 67 thru 69 and we would surf at China Beach, when we got a little in country R&R

27. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

occasionally i surf, although its been a while. i like san anofre(sp?) and ride a ten foot infinity

28. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

Haven't gone in a long while but still swim several miles a week so I'm ready at a moments notice. Go to the central coast mainly This was pleasure point, Jack Oneals house? mid '80s (still had my long hair), but now youngest daughter lives in huntington beach so now I get to try some warmer water:D...
    Thanks for The Stoke guys , OLY

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

Attached Files:

29. Rich R

Rich R
    from SoCal

Your right...I was out Wed. evening at Doheny and caught that swell also. Glassy and well shaped..we had a blast. I love when work slows down.:D

Cool wagon!!

30. surf's up... at the PileUp? :eek:

the Vermillion River in Illinois actually serves up some decent waves at high water... or as we call it... a dirty flush:rolleyes:

Attached Files: