Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMBers & Common Courtesy

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by DE SOTO, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 117harv

117harv

fordnuts well stated, thanks.

2. 73RR

73RR

3. Huge discounts from our supporting vendors. These companies have stepped up in their support and are dedicated to bringing their best deals to alliance members. Take advantage of this deal and make your membership money back in no time. View a complete list of participating vendors and their discounts.

Kevin, Most of us know what the Hamb Alliance is about, and even though I have not been deemed 'worthy' of vendor status I still offer a sizeable discount to all Hambers, not just alliance members. Personally, I am not big on promoting class-warfare.

Gary

3. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I don't buy or sell a lot of stuff here or anywhere for that matter. I have on the over all had real good luck with HAMBers. I like the HAMB because it allows me to look at posts from sellers or buyers and get a good feel for the person I am about to deal with that the other popular sites do not. I would like to thank all the great HAMBers I have dealt with in the past, most recently, Tudor whom I got a great posi unit from for about half of a new one. Mike

4. I just wish people would reply when I am interested in something they're selling...

5. outlaw256

outlaw256

i have bought alot from people off of the hamb. ive ALWAYS had good luck. parts as described and arrived when they said they would. i have screwed up a few times, hell i sent out 3 m.o. one day and they were going to 3 different people. one guy got all 3. i dont know how i sent him all 3 but atleast he was honest enough to send back the other 2. and all 3 had his name on them.so i have 2 people waiting for their money which they are not gonna get when i said they would.took me almost a 11/2 to fix that screw up.but the guys that were waiting for their money were cool as hell. they finally got their money , i got my parts but damn did i not only feel like a dumb ass but i was afraid i screwed up my good name and i hated that feeling.of all the buys i do the hamb is the only place i feel safe.ive been scred so many times on other sights but never on the hamb.and somes times i really do forget to finish my buisness with the sorry no thanks pm. not all the time but there still are times i do forget.

6. yblock292

yblock292

Funny thing about this, 4-5 of us H.A.M.B.ers were talking about this just last week at our thursday night get together, i personally have very good luck buying and selling on the HAMB,untill resently and for some reason be working a deal, agree to it all, and never hear from him again, has happen to me twice in the month or so. One of my buddies , whos on here it doing a 34 coupe, needed some stuff , found the guy on here that had it, made the contact , thought it was a done deal, never heard from him again. Just seems like its gotten worse here recently.

7. im guilty of this i just figure if i ask for a price and it comes back from outer space if i dont respond in 1 or 2 days the seller will understand i dont want it and i dont expect sellers to "hold" stuff for me if you get the money grab it (if i REALLY want it and the price is right you'll hear from me ASAP)

this also goes the other way ive contacted sellers and never heard anything from them at least one is an alliance vendor member(well reguarded from what i gather)

if your a private seller and you either sell the part or decide not to sell a pm would be nice

courtesy is a two-laner guys

8. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I spend an hour out of my night the other day sending 8 emails to a guy with pics of my 32. he said he would send some of his and never heard back.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A couple of things:

1. Skip, I think you gotta give it to expect it.

2. This isnt a classified site. Its not something we are great at simply due to software. We try really hard... We do the best we can.

3. The alliance does offer some protection in the classifieds. I do a lot more for folks that have been taken than eBay or craigslist does. Hell, we go to the ends of the earth trying to help folks that have been wronged. Frankly, I don't think anyone does as much as we do.

I've personally called police.

I've personally testified.

I've given legal reps tech data needed to prosecute.

Hell, I have personally given folks money out of my own pocket to right wrongs.

I don't think any of the other major mediums have ever done much of that... And i have never in my life sent a form letter in response to a complaint.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  10. You were asking about Comet body parts for a friend and it was several years ago. You didn't leave me hanging or anything like that.

I don't think leaving people hanging is cool, but your first description made it sound like you're expecting responses from everyone that shows any interest. Some people might consider it courteous to not send replies if they're not interested in buying.

I agree with posting pictures in your ads. It sounds like you could get a free computer that works better than what you have, or you're doing something wrong, or both. Maybe try saving and posting a small (file and physical size) picture, like your avatar picture. I'm on dial-up here and I can load pictures. My computer is about five years old.

11. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Free ads with a huge group of hot rodders to sell to and yet you find something to complain about. Geez

12. thunderplex

thunderplex

13. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

You made my case for me...... LOL..... :D

14. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I've been messing with the Classifieds here nearly as long as they have existed and the majority of the issues boil down to this.

Bad ad = bad results.
    Good ad = good results.

Here's what I mean. A dude who posts an ad like he's paying by the letter, vague description, no pics, is going to attract replies to the ad or PM's that request pics, more information, whatever it may be. So the seller sends pics, maybe he doesn't, answers some of the questions, maybe all. Meanwhile, the prospective buyer has maybe come up with other questions or got a new bill in the mail, tooth fell out, dog got hit by a car, who knows. So by the time the sellers reply comes back the prospective buyer may have already decided the timing isn't right or it's just too much work. The guys who decide the timing isn't right will probably tell you so. The ones who decide it's going to be too much work just move on.

Your goal, as the seller, is to not make it work for the buyer. Provide so much information and price the item/s so fairly that anyone reading the ad just has to have it. They want to be sure they have it so they PAY YOU QUICKLY. Then the deal is done.

If you have something for sale and hold it for someone who hasn't paid, that's your deal.

Me? when I list something for sale it is sold to the first person who pays for it, unless other SPECIFIC arrangements have been made.

Now, I hated doing this but figured an example was needed. This was a spectacularly vague ad that was getting all sorts of bump action. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...&highlight=vdo
    Had the ad been worth the bandwidth, they should have sold pretty quick....

15. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Well said rash but your link is dead

16. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Man... You guys are just flat living wrong if you go into every transaction expecting a fight.

Sent from my iPhone using the TJJ app

18. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

SoThis is what I get from those 2 statements, And I Ask, You as a HAMBER find this acceptable ?

Example ::

I post an add, Well explained part, Price But NO Pic cus my Junk Box wont post but I post my E-Mail Address for pics & my name & Telephone number.

Dude responds with stuff like
    "" I AM INTRESTED ! I'LL TAKE IT.... SHOOT ME SOME PICS & A SHIPPING COST & I'LL PAY PAL YOU TONIGHT !""

So i do that foot work for the Potential & then NEVER here from him again, Maybe a couple days later send a Note as maybe he didnt get pics but he still ignores you .... so then I'll move on.

Is this how some of you guys conduct Biz in the Real World ?

You feel that after all the leg work a seller does to get you pics or EXTRA pics, Shipping cost & anything else you may ask for, You decide its not what you want so you just disappear ??

I can't change things, I am just saying ... Courtesy for the most Part is gone anymore ....

If you needed a Lawyer to keep your Drunk Ass outa Jail would you call him once & then Dissappear ?
    Or would you Tell him he cost to much & you found another so he Would Know not to bother you anymore ?

Another thing I find thats Kinda Sad with people today is ALL the reasons the BUYER has to blame the SELLER for his Weak Courtesy.

19. I guess that I have been living a charmed life, over 10 yrs buying/selling on ebay as well as selling on Craigslist, the H.A.M.B. & most recently the Fordbarn and I have not had any really bad deals. I have alway's gotten what I have paid for and other than a couple of whinner's, haven't had any problems with buyer's. Sure, you get some that are just collecting picture's or never respond to questions but that's to be expected. It isn't costing me anything but a little time.
    When I am buying, I ask questions before paying. When I am selling, I describe each item to the best of my ability, post pictures and a price. I, normally, don't consider any thing "sold" until I see the money. I alway's send the buyer a note saying that the item has been shipped and the tracking number.
    And the big plus is, I have met some really great people and some have become very good friend's. You don't have to go into a deal with your eye's closed, or go in expecting a fight, just do some research on both the item your interested in as well as the person selling it. If it seem's too good to be true... well, you know!
    My 2 cent's....

20. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Geez, I did not even join the Alliance as a conscious act, I have sold a few things on the classifieds and it worked out really well for me. I decided to donate a small item as an auction piece to benefit the Jalopy Journal and HAMB site because I had used it for a year and sold stuff on it so I felt it was only proper to give something back to the site and system. Ryan was gracious enough to apply the Alliance tag to my moniker. I'll tell you what, I most likely am not going to be buying much if anything at all this year, this economy has me turned a spot conservative, but I am still very proud to have the Alliance membership next to my name, I feel it shows that I care about this site and all of you, and I hope to be able to maintain my membership. We can only put forth our own best face and attitude and appreciate another who projects the same, as for others, we can only hope they follow how we properly and respectfully interact among ourselves. Thank you.

21. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Um, no. But then again, I don't have the problems you seem to have, or I don't let it get to me so much.

Again, it's all in the communication. If I have something for sale and a guy contacts me about it the first thing he will get asked is "when are you paying for it?" He will then be told that it is going to the first person who pays for it. If he hasn't already tweaked out and asks if I can hold it, I will tell him, "Sure, but if someone comes up with the money between now and then, I'll contact you and see where you are at. You will have 48 hours to get back with me and we'll work something out." I also tell the next guy that I have someone on the line and that I will contact the first dude and see what's up.

Sometimes I still hold for the first guy, sometimes I don't hear back. and sell it to the second guy. Sometimes the forst guy says sell it to the second guy.

My point is that you all make it harder than it needs to be and if you are up front with what YOU expect, they have no complaint.

I also fail to see how you can get a pic in your avatar, email pics, but cannot post pics to the HAMB.

22. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Here's a case in point.... I listed some non-HAMB friendly items on a local board.

(the pic hosting software is broke on there so I linked to pics in my album here. Thanks Ryan.:eek:)

23. My statements, "I think you're expecting too much. The only people you should expect a response from are those that say they are buying." were based on your original post which made me think you're wanting people that did not say they want to buy the part to respond.

In the case you just described- I don't think that's cool. There are many positives and negatives that seem to come with the anonymity and spontaneity of the Internet. It's easy to be discourteous on the Internet.

I just reread your original post and deleted a bunch of stuff I was going to suggest. I'll sum it up differently now.

First- I'd make it easier on yourself to do the legwork. Pictures in ads, estimated weight(s), your zip code, your shipping preference, payment forms accepted, etc.

Second- I'd put as much as possible in your ads so people can do as much of their own legwork as possible. There can be a lot of variables there, though.

Third- Take into account that it's a part of selling. Consider what it takes to sell stuff at a swap meet.

Fourth- The HAMB "community" (or lack thereof) seems to be a part of what's bothering you. The HAMB isn't a small community.

Fifth- Get the most for your parts that you can, where you can. Give price breaks to people you know and/or have already had good dealings with.

And then, when somebody says "I'll take it" you just need to reply with "Show me the money!"

But yeah, it'll never be perfected. Oh well.

I'm still thinking what others are thinking, too- you should fix your picture posting problem.

Man, I've put a lot of legwork into this reply.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think maybe you are on the wrong forum then... Seriously. I think you should log off and never come back. Why bother with us? We suck. We can't spell. We won't buy good parts for good money. And our buyer/seller protection is way worse than eBay.

Why are you even here now? I don't get it.

Skip,

You gotta give common courtesy to expect it. Lets talk about courtesy. You have posted 305 ads in the classifieds since 2/23/09. That's a lot of ads man... A whole lot of ads. And I assume the classifieds are working for you or you wouldn't continue to use them, right? Or are you doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

I don't think you are crazy, so...

We've given you an avenue to hock your parts and cars for absolutely zero cost. Maybe show us a little respect in return. I've always felt that in life you get back what you put in.

25. autobilly

autobilly

"Hell, I have personally given folks money out of my own pocket to right wrongs."-Ryan

Although it's not exactly what your all talking about here, I'd like to tell a little story to back-up Ryan's statements.
    A couple of years ago I bought a HAMB T-shirt, when it arrived I found that one sleeve was slightly shorter than the other. I'm a fussy guy so politely complained to Ryan. He had no hessitation in sending me a new shirt and didn't even require the original back.

26. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Look above at the red. You forgot to capitalize "for". I guess you only mentioned spelling and not grammer. Did you ever hear about throwing stones if you live in glass house?

It's good to see you responding Ryan....pretty cool IMO.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

3/8" longer if I recall... That was definitely a first! :)

28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The main problem I constantly see in the classifieds is new people as in 1 to maybe 20 posts.
    They obviously got here by doing a web search for whatever part or car there lookin for.
    They don’t give a crap about what the sites about or what the rules are (probably didn’t read them) and start replying to ads most times not even checking the date the ads were posted.
    Then there’s the people with 1 post and there selling some high dollar car …. wtf
    Getting some common courtsey from these people will never happen.

I know this has been kicked around before but there needs to be IMO some kinda probation time or whatever before new people can post.

29. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Ryan, is there a way to add iTrader to our profiles? A few other boards I'm on have this, it's a good way to view buyer/seller feedback. I understand the HAMB isn't all about being a classifieds board but a lot of us use the classifieds (Some more than the main board)

I do want to add that 99% of my transactions here have been top notch. Usually from guys I "know" or have bought or sold to in the past.

30. 40WILLYSCRAZY... I just did you a BIG favor, I added you to my "ignore list". You wont have to wory bout my igorant ass botering you, no need to thanke me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.