Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMBers & Common Courtesy

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by DE SOTO, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

So I am going thru my P/M list this morning and looking to delete one I don't need any more.

I find I have about 8~10 P/Ms from guys asking for Pics, Shipping Quotes & Trade Offers for parts I have in the For Sale add's.

I have sent off pics, Quotes & General Info to all of them with NO RESPONSE.

I understand maybe not everyone who asks will buy said part, But I would assume with the "BROTHERHOOD" & "FAMILY" everyone around here brings up when it come to Price of parts that if you don't want it or want to Haggle on price you would Contact the Buyer to let him know what your doing.

The HAMB is the Worst of all places I sell parts for this, NO Common Courtesy from the Majority of People.

Some people here are Great at it .... But the Masses are just Terrible and leave a guy Hangin.

In Short, If you inquire about an Add ... Let the Poster know if you decide to Pass or if you agree to buy... PAY FOR IT !!!

2. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

I have the same thing happen all the time.
    At least let me know that you are not interested in the item so I can sell it to someone else.

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Dont feel bad ,Last night I had a guy tell me that he would take it and nothing ,He said I was paid and theres nothing there ,He gave me his shipping adress also , ,,,And this is on the Hamb...Im beginning to think Only buy and sell to alliance members.And I dont like being biased,There is alot of good people on here .

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  4. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

5. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

I always communicate with the buyer.
    Tell him when the money is received,when the part will ship and tell him when it has shipped.
    I also ask them to tell me when the item arrives but some people can,t seem to do that.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I agree with your opinion on alliance members or not,Ryan will only police deals through the alliance though , Thats why my ending statement says theres alot of good people and I hate to be biased,Im just like you ,Ship within a few days.........Will sell to alliance members or anybody that needs the part .These old car parts are getting hard to find and Id like them to go to a good home..........

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have to agree with DESOTO.......in my case about 10% will not answer you.........I can say this, the HAMBers that have followed through with my transactions I want to thank them personally right here.

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

AMEN To That,
    Skip is right & I need to Thank All guys that have Followed thru, It is appreciated !!

9. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

When the system works it's great. Unfortunately, it doesn't always go that way. People, generally speaking, are just plain rude. It's become so common place and so widespread (everywhere, not just on the HAMB) that I doubt the guys that are being rude are even aware of it.

10. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Agreed!!

11. GREASER815

GREASER815

I have not really had the problem, they have either bought right away or said no. If I have not heard back in a few days I just bump the ad, either peaks their interest again or someone else sees it. Just my opinion though.

12. I have to agree!! I am a single car transporter & I quote alot of transports, here & on other sites, The vast majority of people that don't want to use my service will not even have the descency to email/P.M. back to say thanks for the quote but I am a cheapskate or my bozo brother in law will do it for beer money or whatever!
    Bill

13. 6inarow

6inarow

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I guess I shouldnt of wrote that ,That discussion has been beat to death on here .At least I pm the person back If I decide I dont want ,

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You guys are aware that the Alliance membership has nothing to do with the free classified section here, yes?

I'm completely baffled as to why you would cut yourself out of getting parts discounts because you had a disagreement with someone else who is taking advantage of the same program.

16. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

The answer is simple, "common courtesy" is not common anymore.

It is an across the board thing, people look at you like a freak when holding the door open for them or when conducting business with a smile.

17. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems to be becoming a bigger problem. Had two items in the last week, guys said they would take and that the check was in the mail, only to never hear from them again. I used to mark items "sale pending" when someone said they would take it, but now, I just tell them when I receive the $$$ it is sold. Until then it remains in the classifieds.

18. 73RR

73RR

The 'alliance' label doesn't mean that you get or give superior service. It is simply a justification to give money to Ryan and hopefully get a discount from another member, that and, it is a tax deduct.

When folks on this forum, or any of the others I frequent, ask questions I simply do not expect any reply. The 'younger' folks (anyone under 40) just do not seem to have the same 'social training' that I was taught. As Rich Wright said, some folks just don't have a clue.

As for sales, nothing is boxed/packaged until I see the money and nothing is considered 'sold' until I see the money. The gentlemans agreement I grew up with is, sadly, gone these days. :(

19. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

a couple asshole buyers doesnt make this true. like most things when someone says something bad about people, somebody idiot has to pop up and say something stupid like this.

i held a door open for a lady this mourning at the gas station she did not look at me like i was a freak.

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Seriously, you guys need to read into what the Alliance is.

There may or may not be some informal advantages between members here, but that is not the idea at all. It is centered around the Vendors.

HAMB Alliance

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The Classified Section is completely free and open door – just like the rest of the HAMB. So if it's not up to your standards? Don't use it.

I do want to add: The classified mods are probably the hardest working and most under-appreciated moderators on the HAMB. They will go after fraud, but they can't police manners.

22. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

I've had some hot and cold success with online classifieds listings. I must say my experience with the HAMB listings is 10x better than with the Craigslist jokers.

With the HAMB, I was able to PM a member who had an item for sale 07/2010, it had not sold, and I was able to purchase it just this month! Similarly. I PM'd a member who posted an item for sale on 12/2010, and he hasn't had an activity on here since he posted the ad, and I have yet to hear anything back from him.

For me, being primarily a consumer, the worst is the post it and forget it people. It is most disheartening to finally find that piece you were looking for, only to find that they are unreachable.

With C-list, Usually the price is placed twice what retail would be for a new one, and then they throw on the 'no low ballers' catch phrase. I always wonder if anyone ever sells anything. On the other hand, I just picked up a driveshaft that has the yoke I need for my new tranny, for only $20 today.

Hopefully someday common sense becomes common again, and common courtesy follows same.

Cheers!
    Falcon_rod

EDIT: x2 To the Classifieds Mods on here being AWESOME. I think that's what keeps it upscale enough to be more than worthwhile. Kudos to those guys.

23. I think you're expecting too much. The only people you should expect a response from are those that say they are buying. Even then you'll get some people that seem to have fallen off of Earth before the deal is done. People are busy, distracted, have different codes of conduct, etc., etc. And, <marquee loop="”infinite”" width="”111”">this is the Internet Age. </marquee>

I've shipped something overseas and not heard if they got it okay- oh well.

I've had someone nice enough to Paypal some money for efforts on a deal that didn't go through- cool.

I've had someone very interested and then nothing- oh well.

I remember getting a PM that I replied to and I was expecting a "thanks anyway" kind of reply and I didn't get a response. It was from a guy named DE SOTO. :eek:

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

Some people were informed yesterday that they had cancer. While a reply saying "I'll pass" is nice maybe a little perspective is in order.

25. Desoto- put pics in with your listings. I offen see your stuff for sale and they never have pics. That would eliminate a TON of junk PM's.

26. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Really ?

Well, I never said I was Perfect :p

All I am saying is, This Morning I counted 6 people that asked for Pics & Shipping cost on Parts I have For Sale that have not even so much as said "Your Outa Your Mind"

If I did mis a Couple, Its My Bad & I will Own Up .....

I do ALOT of Buying & Selling & I do Inquire about A Shit tone of stuff since I have to Many Irons in the Fire... I Prolly have Missed a couple in the Process.

Maybe I should not have said anything as it seems some of you feel that the Practice is Ok to leave people hanging.

I guess I should re-evaluate Trusting people that they are actually Intrested in my Stuff.

By The way, What Exactally was it that I didnt respond to you on ?

27. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

LOL......

Again I Must say... My Computer is OLD & Does NOT let me post pics on the HAMB.

I do not know why, I have tried many ways that Guys have suggested & it Just wont Post.

I would rather spend my $$ on my Panhead or '32 or '54 Gasser than buy a New computer.

This one will have to do till Sparks Fly Out the Back :rolleyes:

28. I have started putting Canada in my ads instead of my hometown, so people will know they are getting a part from another country and hopefully will understand shipping is more. Some guys ask for a break in shipping like I own the post office or UPS. I only charge what the shipping quote is, I don't make anything on it. Don't buy a part from a foreign country if you expect to pay the same shipping as in the US. It just costs more. Not my fault. I have collected all my parts for my 46 ragtop from the US using a Canadian dollar that was worth anything from 40 cents to 10 cents less than the US dollar. Add the exhange, duty and shipping and gee, my parts cost sometimes 100 percent more. Fact of life. Need the part, step up to the plate. It is what it is. Now the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US one so I lose selling my parts in the US. Who cares. Pat.

29. On a positive, I sold to a HAMBster and mailed it - a vintage brochure - and he mailed the check. No worries - no not an expensive part but there are some good folks in the world
    :0)

30. No problem, I used to have a computer that was like that. And yes, I would rather spend my money on ol car shit then a computer BUT...If you use it a lot to buy/sell, think of a good computer as a good tool in the garage. Makes things a lot harder without the right tool. I just bought a new one, my old one crashed after 5 years. Nice lil HP laptop for 380.00 at Best Buy.

Either way, I'm not trying to jump your shit or anything on the no pics thing, just trying to help you out with my worthless advise :D If I see somehting of interest I ALWAYS ask for pics if there are none...because you just never know ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.