Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hambandy. The build begins!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Sep 3, 2007.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Ok Andy here we go.

With the body on the Island as well as a great number of parts it is time for the Hambandy build to start. With a project as large as this, a weekend build is kind of a big undertaking and with so much to be done, it will be almost impossible, so here is our plan. The car will be prepared in stages so as to make the build that much easier. We will work out each part of the build step by step and when the build gets to a point that it can be turned into a weekend build. This will be the time for anybody wishing to be a part of the build to fly up and take part. Keeping true to our hambs roots( the reason this build is taking place) the build will headed by two local hamb members and between them both have more than 50 years building experience. Bill Norris (Hackerbill) and myself Tony Fitzpatrick (fitzee). Bill and I have been building and customizing cars in Newfoundland for more than 20 years and travel in the same circle of car buffs but never had the chance to work together on a build. It will be a great honor for me to work with Bill because he is one of the reasons I am where I am today. I always watch the cars he has worked on and how they were put together. Built with knowledge and skill that only a craftsman has. Both of us will over see the build and with the help of other hamb members and a number of local hot rodders we will get this build underway, Well enough about us, it is time to start the ball rolling.

The front end

The first stage of the game is to work on the frame rails as well as the front end. With the body here and a number of parts we have enough parts for measurements and can start making plans for each stage of the build. The plan for Andy`s A is for it to have a model A stile front frame that will be Z at the firewall and use 2x3 for the remaining frame. One thing we both agree on is to keep this build simple and not to go overboard,this is the reason for the use of 2x3. The front end will consist of a spring over setup on a drop axle with split wishbones. Brakes will be early Ford. Now to what we have to work with. The front section of the A frame that came with the body has a number of things done to it. It has been boxed and has a cross member that is no good for what we have in mind, besides I think it will be too short to use. So the plan is to build the front frame from scratch. Next we will take apart the front end that came with the car and see what we have to work with. It is a spring ahead setup and looks to be in good shape. Much of it can be used on the drop axle. We will work on these parts and when completed move on to the next step. Will keep you posted. Also I have set up a photobucket page for Andys car so you all can see the progress unfold.http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/Hambandy/

Andy, your car is underway buddy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to give you some ideas as to where this build is headed here are just a few pics of what we have in mind for Andy`s car.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Shane T.

Shane T.

Go baby go!!!

3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one of the best things I've seen done. Once again you guys are champs. There is something in the mail today for the workshop and Andy's walls.

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

awesome, just plain awesome guys

5. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I love it, you guys rock. I can't wait to see more progress on Andy's ride.

Doc.

6. kropduster

kropduster

top notch guys!! keep us all posted!!!!

7. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Wow, The primer one in the middle is mine.... here is what it looked like in paso just before I sold it to an AUSSIE! Also a Pic form where I started for some MOTIVATION!

Attached Files:

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

What a project you take on guys...hooray for both of you at this point.

I know what Bill is capable of and have heard good stories about Fitzee from Bill...Hamb Andy, your car couldn't be in better hands...

Looking forward to the entire build here on the HAMB...

R-

9. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Guys, Good luck with the build on Andy's Ride ! I am sure your skills will be showcased by the finished ride ! Maybe Andy should be the Charter Member of the HAMB Model "A" Hot Rod Club !

41 Dave
    '31 "A" Hot Rod Coupe (in progress)

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Very cool guys, will look forward to the future postings.

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ohhhh brother...Fitzee, I appreciate the thought but seriously...thats WAY over the top.
    Besides...theres NO WAY I'm taking ANY responsibility for you! :D

Seriously though...its gonna be fun to work with you and the other local fellas that are involved. I've been playing the hermit for a long time now. Can't think of a better reason to come down off the mountain than young Andy's Hot Rod!!!

The honour will be to work alongside our fellow HAMbers when we reach that point in the build...but we gotta get to that point first...and its a ways off unless we get cracking!

I'll drop down tomorrow night at 6.00pm so we can bang heads on the front axle assembly.
    Everything for the front is available now, right?
    Once we see where we're at, I'll take the parts back to my place and work towards final assembly of the axle there if you like. Might free up some room for you...

But I'm REALLY dyin' to get a start at the frame with ya!!! :)
    THATS when you know something is happening!!!

We going with the F100 brake swap or the early Ford?
    Hopefully those spindles have tight bushings...that would be a big bonus.
    Do we have perchbolts for a spring on top???
    I guess we have some disassembly to do to get the good wishbone from the parts pile too???

We'll check it out tomorrow anyway...lots of stuff to brainwork!

Medium "double-double" right??? ;)

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. movingviolation

movingviolation

Well today was a special day for many HAMB'rs here, Andys first operation was a huge success. Funny becasue we had another meeting of the minds to see what we have and where and when to start. Hackerbill didnt meet the "hamburger" yet so off to see it we went, and when we got back we looked at the front that was sent with the car to see if anyof it was good with the donated HAMB goodies we have comming............ Well lucky for you i am not in the pic, but fitzee is the ugly mo-fo with the black hat......Hackerbill has the blue plad shirt and the other ugly dude with the orange hat is a future hamber glen....

[​IMG]

And the HAMBURGER is tucked away from all the nosey people.....in the rafters;)

[​IMG]

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx for the pix...never saw one of Fitzee...but Bill...well, now he is looking younger in those pix...So, MV...ya didn't explain what that '60(?) is in the background for...is that part of the build too...???

R-

14. old beet

old beet

I will be happy to furnish the window glass. Need a little help, chop or not? When ya get to the finished point, I need PERFECT patterns. No double lines. W/S frame, cut to fit. Lay out and draw a line around the inside of the frame. I'm sure you have done this many times, I don't doubt what you do. Just tryin to help as much as I can. I'll do the crateing and ins. and shipping. Hopeing the best for all of you!! PM me..........OLDBEET

15. fitzee

fitzee

Dropping the axle up to Bill`s tomorrow nite and he is going to go through it to see what is what. I will start drawing up the frame plans and figure out all the angles. As for the 60 in the back ground.That is just a customer car at our shop.

fitzee

16. fitzee

fitzee

Ever bit helps. I was think of making wooden patterns and transfering it to cardboard after .Would be easyer for shipping to you.Any tricks you have for this let me know. thanks

17. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

Go, Newfoundlanders, Go!

18. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

This thing can be summed up with only one word -

AWESOME!

Way to go guys!

19. movingviolation

movingviolation

Thanks, but this is much more than a Newfoundland thing, this is a HAMB thing and with the help of the greatest assets of the hobby (hamb'rs), we will make a dream happen for Andrew Dunn.

But it is kinda flattering...lol, but the HAMB is a global place........we just live here....lol

Leon

20. tinmann

tinmann

If we got one of those really big tug boats and heavy chains, could we pull NFLD a little closer to B.C. so I could be part of the fun?

Atta way boys.

21. [​IMG]

Don't copy this one...it had loose bolts!!!LOL!
    SURE WAS FAST,though...just kidding BigDaddy...

22. fitzee

fitzee

Well it has been some time now So a little up date.been wating still on parts but Leon, Bill myself and a few others got togeather today at Andys for a pow wow on what is up. we talked about what is need and Leon is ordering some needed parts that we don`t have in the next few days. This Wed`s we are getting togeather for the start of the frame build.We desided to change some of the ideas on the build due to the fact that Andy seems to like a look that we over looked. The car will sit on a stock stile A frame and be channeled 4 inch over the frame.Looking into a 5 inch chop.No Z in the frame. The chop may change.depend on room in the car with the 4 inch channal. Andy has taken a real liking to this car and his build will be much the same but with a channal. So all in all it was a good day. We have the steel and Wed`s night the frame building begins. We will post pics and keep ya posted.

fitzee

Attached Files:

23. noboD

noboD

Document this build like you were opening King Tuts tomb!! We need pics.

24. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Very great news!!

25. good job guys,cant wait to see the progress !

26. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Please keep us posted on Andy's build...Do you have a wiring harness as yet? If not, let me know what you need and I'll send it up.
    Glenn

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Fellas....I have Andys stuff in my shop..... all waiting to be picked up

Let me know.

28. movingviolation

movingviolation

Ill call ya today and get the ball rolling.

29. Time to get er done. When you run out of straight road you got 2 choices left or right no turning back now!