Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. I also have this old tool box I bought at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago for $5. I like the wings on the front!
    [​IMG]

Toyjunky likes this.
  2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I'm in too. I have Dad's 64 complete Snap-on set here at home and an identical top and bottom at work. Also an early 60s Proto top that I carried to the track when I was racing.

3. Bugman

Bugman

My Snap-On chest is rusty, does that count?

4. TimDavis

TimDavis

I have my dad's roll away chest, middle box, and top chest, each dating pre '60. I have a full set of 1/2" drive sockets in the top, with ratchet, breaker bar, extensions etc....the brand is "None-Better" - The sockets go in 1/32 increments from 3/8 to 1 1/18". Anyone ever hear of these?

5. I envy you guys who got your dads or grandfathers stuff. My dad was a carpenter as were my 2 older brothers so not much, make that nothing, filtered down to me.

6. jerry

jerry

If I remember correctly the None Better were made by New Britain. Very good tools. Alot better than what you get today for the same price. I'd love to have a set like that.

jerry

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] That is a dash mounted Model T Ford ignition coil box, 1915-22, with a 1917-22 top. There was an off/on switch mounted on the front. Looks like a good one. :)

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I have that tool box and roll-away! Bought it a few years ago from the son of the original owner. Paid $300 for it. It needs to be restored, but it's not rusted at all. Needs a couple dents taken out of it, the hinges for those side-covers re-welded, the welds for the front hinges redone and one of the doors needs some shrinking because it warped when they brazed the hinges back on.
    The guy said his dad bought it in January, 1940 when he went to work at the factory. What year is that ad from?

It's very small by today's standards, but it works GREAT for organizing projects that are going to go on for a few days/weeks: wiring the car, rebuilding carbs, etc. Good for storing all the bits and pieces in their own compartments until you can get back to them, so nothing gets lost.

Brad

9. TimDavis

TimDavis

Thanks Jerry.

I remember my dad telling me that he paid around $70-80 for them in '55-'57, and that it was more than a good weeks pay at the time. I always figured that must have been a quality tool, because that was a lot of money for a 1/2" drive socket set!

10. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

Here is the inside. I PMed you the rest.

Attached Files:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Twenty years ago this January I went down to the basement because the oil burner was making some odd sounds. This Craftsman tool box was on a bench 24 inches away from the oil burner and I was standing between the two. Went upstairs to call the oil burner service guy, the second I hung up the phone the burner blew up.:eek:

Attached Files:

12. S.F.

S.F.

I have a 40s cornwell sitting on top of a 40's Mac , Ill post pictures soon. It works great and looks really cool.

13. Gumpa

Gumpa

I am too ashamed to show mine because of the condition of my shops. I have 3 roll aways and 2 top boxes plus little boxes everywhere and cabinets in every place you can imagine for the bigger tools. Maybe I will get it cleaned up some day and put up some photos.

14. the little old vintage Craftsman box is mine, not much of a toolbox, i use it to carry all my One shot, brushes, and pinstripe stuff in.

the old wooden tool box under the lathe in the garage pic is my friend Randy's. it's full of lathe tooling. Real old. I love it. one of my favorite by far that i've ever seen.

Attached Files:

15. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

The only "vintage" tool boxes I have are two small hand-carry Sears Craftsman boxes from the early 70's. Those with the lift-out tray in the hammertone grey finish. I still have them and use them. My everyday use tool box is a set of top, intermediate and bottom roll-away Craftsman I bought over the last year when they were on sale. Sears, since they merged with K-Mart, is discontinuing a lot of tool lines. You all need to be on the lookout for them in the stores. All three of my boxes were part of a discontinued line the store had in their "clearance" area. Bargins are where you find them. I'll have to start going out on the prowl on Saturday mornings to the garage sales and read the paper for the estate sales for the "good stuff".

16. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Kennedy Kit tool box, old, bakelite handel.

Attached Files:

17. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

18. Thumper

Thumper

Oh man those wings are wicked.

19. Wildfire

Wildfire

Now the winged box kicks ass!!!!

20. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Woah! I didn't know they could look like that... Next time I see one of those I'm buyin' it!

21. I had the same problem, dad was a brick layer by trade and although I did get his old canvas tool bag he used for many years, it is full of the tools of his trade. Not much use in the garage for a brick hammer and joint striking tools. :) I will try to use them this spring when I try my hand at putting stone facing on my fire place. I did however get an old hand me down Monkey Wards tool box from my older brother. That box has been traveling with me in my 40 for 28 years.:D

22. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

ya wana race tool boxes ? hahahah.

23. mr.wolf

mr.wolf

my new(old) paint box is from the mid to late 40's, i re laquered it, and striped it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. ....vintage tool box.
    [​IMG]

wingnutz likes this.
  25. harmfulvapors

harmfulvapors
    from pa

I have a old monty wards tool box from the 70s it was my grandfathers I guess its better than buying one.

26. Thumper

Thumper

What you have there my friend is a vintage 60's Hoffman style slot car pit box. Those boxes have seen many different uses in their lifetimes. Handy as hell and cool to boot. I like what you done with it !

27. BKillian

BKillian

This is my first post, glad I found this board! Here is a Craftsman I picked up at a garage sale for $15, it was rough looks wise, but no dents, and perfect gaps, the slides are alot better than todays Craftsman. I got this Snap-On last week for helping a elderly gentlemen down the street move some furniture, I don't know if I can save it, the drawers are fine, but I don't know if I can patch the rust holes in the top tray, any suggestions? Also anyone know age of the Snap-On?

Attached Files:

wingnutz likes this.
  28. -Brent-

-Brent-

This is the same box my dad gave me after I graduated H.S. It was his "new" box when he was a mechanic when I was a kid.

29. mr.wolf

mr.wolf

i was told it was from the 40's, my friend must have been mistaken... well thanks for letting me know!! :D

30. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

\

Hey BK, check your private messages.

Brad