Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Here is my newest find today.An unmarked wood machinist's tool box in excellent condition.Seven drawers;all still have their felt liners albeit a little oily and have no cracks or missing pieces.
    No key but it is a fairly easy lock to make a key for.The leather handle is in great shape for it's age.Looks like there was a decal of some type on the inside of the lid;the outline is still there.Not sure but it may be an early Gerstner.Price was right($60 plus tax).Oiled it up tonight with cedar oil(a concoction an old friend gave me who used to refinish furniture).Will likely use it to store part of my antique knife collection.

Attached Files:

2. 64chrysler300

64chrysler300

Here's my collection

(1) I got this one at yard sale for $.50. Its a little beat and missing the tray.
    I just use it as a model car box. Don't know the make.

[​IMG]

(2) I got this old little gold one last week at a local antique store for $4. Don't know the
    make of this one either. Gonna lay some stripes on it and make it my pin-
    striping box. Even has a place to hold your drill bits.

[​IMG]

(3) My dad found this one in an abandoned trailer on my uncles farm. Its an
    Old Pal tackle box. He gave it to me. He layed the stripes on it too. :) I
    just use it as a on-the-road tool box. Still has the tray in it too.

[​IMG]

3. btsmustang

btsmustang

Hello, I recently picked up a very old kennedy machinist chest that I am starting to restore. Not sure of the year but its a square top with a locking latch and a leather top handle, Im guessing late 1940's or early 50's. Its in decent shape, has some rust, missing the lock key and has a few dents.

Any idea on a good place to look for parts? I would love to find a kennedy lock/latch with key.

I know its a model 520 but anyone have a better idea on the year of the chest?

Thanks
    Steven Taylor

Attached Files:

4. Old Man Taylor

Old Man Taylor

It looks the same as mine, and mine is early 40's.

5. DHS

DHS
    from USA

Here a old one ...

edit I cant believe this is my first post, lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rdstr31

rdstr31
    from Ney, OH

Can I join the club? I just picked this up yesterday; it's a Union, probably late 30's or early 40's from what I can tell. Still had 2 keys and came with a set of Union calipers.

Attached Files:

7. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

Ive got the rollaway that matches your cabinet. I picked it up at an estate sale for a steal. Heres some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Scootro

Scootro

oh man!!! some great boxes out there

9. brando090

brando090
    from Michigan

First post, and i am in aww at this whole thread. I am amazed on how addicted i am now to toolboxes:D I am thinking of buying a wood or metal toolbox and start my collection of fountain pens and store them in there. There is someone that has a Kennedy local to me, and i heard there isnt alot of information on these so there rare (kinda). I think his price is pretty high at $90 what do you think would be much more fair?

Kennedy.jpg

Kennedy 2.jpg

10. dan sutton

dan sutton

Safari
    That sure looks like my Craftsman I restored a few years ago

Attached Files:

11. brando090

brando090
    from Michigan

What do you think that Kennedy might be worth? Thanks

12. same_me

same_me

New here. I thought I'd show off a box that I restored for my dad. He was using this box 31 years ago when I was born. Says he's not sure how long he's had it. I completely went through it. I've got alot of time in this one....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finn Jensen likes this.
  13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I found this tool tray. What made it so cool for me is that it is made to slip over the radiator cap and stay put holding the tools handy. Obviously made before the invention of the cross flow radiator. Somebody found a stash of NOS ones. It was cheap and cool. IMHO

14. Recently found this "Huot" set-up in Pittsburg Ks. . The lady I got it from stated her husband owned the vickers gas station in Pitt. for years. She also stated that the "Vickers" Co. gave him this set-up in the mid 60's as a perk for his years with the Vickers Co. . Still has the keys to the boxes and the old gas station that was torn down. Any of you Huot guys, I bought this to re-sell, any help with value would be apprieciated. Have no idea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  15. Scootro

Scootro

16. Ain't that a BEAUTY! :D Just saw that earlier today myself. Didn't think about posting it to this thread... Thanks! The owner of this toolchest WINS! :eek:

Wimp.com always has something worth watching.

17. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

That is a cool old roll away. It doesn't hurt that there is a wicked ass 40 Ford in the background!

18. Scootro

Scootro

yea i enjoy that web sight

19. jscomer

jscomer
    from Magnolia

[​IMG][​IMG]Can anyone help me with this one?

20. jscomer

jscomer
    from Magnolia

Im trying to put pics of a military aircraft tool box possibly from WW2. can figure out how to upload pics

21. Nightshift

Nightshift
    from Canada

It's definately a Snap-on KR series ...mid/late '80's I'm guessing.

22. You can "Unicycle?

Get it together yet???

I'm hooked... got to find me one of these!

[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  23. billybudge

billybudge

There are some truely fantastic looking tool boxes on here, and to be honest that is why I joined,
    I have a good selection of kit,
    But one thing I have left alone for many years, a long time, is my late fathers old spare top box, i beleive it is a snap on, and perhaps 1960s , but really not sure,
    this box has been passed down to me . and has been heavily painted, dented, abused and used for years, it has been sat in the back on my workshop for nearly over 25 years, un touched ,
    now I think it is time for me to restore it to its formal glory,
    but could do with some advice,

24. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There are a couple of serious Snap-On collectors over on the Garage Journal board who can probably help you. It's a sister site to this one, there's a link at the very bottom of this page.

25. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I just picked up this one at a flea market today, it's a Snap-On KR280 from 1965. Not very big, but I figure it will be a good box to throw in the trunk of the car.

Attached Files:

26. billybudge

billybudge

Thank you stuart in mn.
    great advice, will check it out, hey that is a great tool box you picked up today, nice one,

27. r4brightred

r4brightred
    from mass.

I remembered to bring my camera to the shop today. A few shots of my set up.

Attached Files:

28. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Scored this old Craftsman box today at a yard sale.

Attached Files:

29. r4brightred.......Love that setup!