Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Trek: The Next Generation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danimal, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I want to put out a special thank you to the following HAMBers for their encouragement, parts, and support:

RDSTR31 (327/rear axle/caps)
    DPatterson (54 Chevy truck body & parts)
    Kustombuilder (S10 frame and fenders as soon as I fetch them)
    Vance (intake/carb/dizzy)
    dvanecek (PMs & S10 advice)
    Clark (Tech post & PMs)
    51GMC (body/engine mounts & measurements)
    Jimmy B (artwork)
    the Highlander (bodywork 101)
    Dan Boehm (steering and alignment help)
    Ryan (JJ & HAMB)
    TERPU (Parts $$ and cool T Shirt)
    Hard On Parts (wiring harness)
    RickS (mentoring from a man in the middle of a similar mess)
    enjenjo and Fat Cat (for laughing WITH me)
    Punkabilly1306 (for doing hay in the summer and saying hey in the winter)
    Cornbinder Josh (kick panels and a box of misc for the boys, they plan to be IN Truck Builder Magazine now!)
    Lucky77 for the ignition box
    Hippie6 brought donuts, heat, and tools to the Thrash!
    von Rigg Fink thrashed for a while as well

Add in BlackMagicCustoms for the Texas cab we're getting from him and to Floorman for the relay help to get it home! IT IS HOME!! 5/6/08!! Awesome Cab!!! Thanks to Last G-Man for the hood and pieces!!! It is resting on the truck right now. Wow. Thanks to all of the Texas connection!

Von Rigg Fink hooked us up with some wide whites we'll use for a while, at lest for mock up. They were in the back of the truck he got from Fat Hack!

I'm sure there are others as well but these are for the big parts.

My son Courtland is 13 and excited about getting this far. :cool:

UPDATE: He's 15 now and a recipient of a HAMB Thrash! Go to page 4 for entertainment. Some things you just had to be there for.

1954 Chevy 1/2 ton on S10 frame. 327 5 speed.

**A special thanks to the guys at Bosal Performance Exhaust and Auto Meter Products OEM for helping us out on the rumble and telemetry!**

Attached Files:

2. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Very Cool Dan! Congrats to Cort for getting that put together, hope to see you guys soon!

3. boozoo

boozoo

Great start! Hope to see it rollin' on its own soon! :cool:

4. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Its the biggest soap box derby car ever!

5. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Dan, you've got to be in the running for the best Dad ever! Cort and E are the two best kids I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. When Dan and the boys came down to my place to pick-up my old delivery, Dan and Cort were busy tieing down the delivery, so I gave E the paperwork and explained to him what I had done with it to date and this kid was asking me questions I wouldn't have thought to ask and I'm 41!!!! These kids are on the ball. My wife still mentions them every now and then. She was amazed.

Great job Dan and great job Cort and E!

Vance

6. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks guys. Compliment all you want, they still aren't for sale.

7. 51GMC

51GMC
    from Michigan

Looks cool......... keep up the great work... cya soon.

8. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

How about loan or rent?

Vance

9. synthsis

synthsis

how bad was the frame swap, really. I'm thinking about tackling that same swap with my 49 Chev truck over the winter.

10. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Ain't no thing. If it weren't for the fact we bought the X cab frame (it was there) it would have been quicker. Follow Clark's tech post and get a wider rear axle. We bought axle plates at the Dodge dealer for $8 a pair. We have the body sitting on it for now but I'm building frame mounts soon.

I'd go for it. That whole truck sitting there, frame, body, axle, and 50 Olds caps is $320! Obviously it needs a bit more but it LOOKS like a truck in the driveway right now and when you're 13 and paying for it yourself, hell yeah!

Did I mention he's paying for all of it? I floated him the frame because he was helping me strip a parts car and he got really sick this spring and couldn't finish. I told him I'd give him 1/2 of whatever I got from it.

Vance, they could be rented but if you work out a deal DO NOT agree to pay for meals. Them boys can EAT...specially that bigger one.

11. rdstr31

rdstr31
    from Ney, OH

Lookin' good quys! Keep up the good work!

12. Nice progress Dan, Keep up the good work.

13. guiseart

guiseart

Awsome... give those boys all the encouragement you can, and let them read this post. I tried to bring my first boy up this way, and he showed NO interest whatsoever, so if there is interest... feed it.

I'm having much better luck with my 5 year old daughter, Indigo. She gets mad everytime I sell one, and thrilled to see a new project dropped off. And so far whe knows the difference between phillips and flathead and can find the right socket in the holder when I ask from under a car... what more can you ask?

Nice job!

14. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks for the encouragement and congrats to Indigo. Cool name, too.

Hope to get the original steering column out today so we can set the body. It is hitting the upper A arm on the frame.

Weather has been horrid here lately and we're doing it in the yard. Waiting for grandma to go to FL so we can rob her of her precious parking space in the garage!! I'm putting him up to ask...she might tell me 'No!'

15. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Been a while but we have an update. Grandma is gone for the winter to FL so we've hogged in on her garage. YES we clean it before we leave every weekend (just in case she's reading this, you never know...)

This weekend we swapped over the tires to a set of wide whites on some reverse chromies. This gives us 4 tires with the same diameter so we can get everything level and square without wondering if it is the car's fault. Body mounts are on for the bed and for the back of the cab. Still some discussion on the front of the cab but we have spacers holding it in place. I know, should have started there...

Got a steering column mocked in from DirtyT and some other goodies done. Swapped the front clip to the green one (sorry Grumpy, I'm using this hood!)

Still need S10 swing pedals and a 5 speed but all in due time. Court worked his ass off for about 8 hours Sunday.

Fenders sit 8 1/2" from the ground front and rear. 3" lowering blocks in the rear. Still need to add the weight of the motor and trans so it will drop a bit more.

Attached Files:

16. hippie6

hippie6

Maybe I should get the wife workin' on this kid thing.... I could use a helper every now and then!!

17. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Good to see you boys working inside, away from those cold Michigan crosswinds! The truck is looking good. What progress you've made! When are you guys coming down to visit?

18. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I tell you what, everytime you post an updat from those 'kids' of yours, it puts most of us 'adults' to shame. Cort is getting more done by accident then I'm getting done on purpose! Tell him to let Eli to get dirty some too!

Keep the updates coming. It's good to see those to having fun and I know it makes you feel good nurturing them too.

Vance

19. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Hippie, just remember it takes 9 months for the assembly and then, like any good project, it'll start paying off about 10-12 years down the road!

He's about to show his aunt how to play his electric guitar...time to find the receipt!

20. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Vance, as for Eli getting dirty, it comes in spurts. He's waiting to get Court's truck out of Grandma's garage so we can get his rolled in and sitting on the frame right. THEN he'll be the one getting dirty. If Grandma had a PS2 in her garage, he'd be there all day.

21. STEELRAT

STEELRAT

You know I was impressed with Cort when he was up here. Great to see kids doing something constructive and real. Those swing pedals are still here unless you come up with something before I get 'em pulled.

22. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

Good work. He is the real deal. I got a kick out of him when you all were here a few weeks ago. Hope that steering column works out for ya.

Danimal likes this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Steering is in it for mock up. We'd like one without the column shift on it so Steelrat, we'll go for the swing pedals and swap you columns if you want!

Thanks to all for your support on this. It makes him proud. I think you all can figure that I am pretty proud all on my own!

One question on the S10 side, should I look at upgrading the springs for the V8?

24. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

UPDATE:

Front cab mounts are tacked in place. Used 4" square stock with a step cut out to slide onto the frame. The mount just about 1" behind the fenders and are about 1" in from them as well so there should be room for the running boards. The boards cover up the mounts as well. We have to fix the floor and we are doing that with 1 x 2" tube with a diamond plate cover that was already in the cab when we got it. Hope to have it set up by the end of the month so we can start installing an engine and trans.

25. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Worked a little more this weekend on the truck. Bought a bunch of S10 parts from a guy including a 5 speed trans. Got to get with another HAMBer to get the bell housing we need but all in all a good score. Got a set of swing pedals (don't give up yours het Steelrat, we'll need em) and the m/c and slave cyl. Pulled out the supports for the dash and the cowl vent mechanism. Now we'll try to get the swing pedals up and in, anybody got a TECH on this one?

Here's his birthday party last week. Decided at the last minute he wanted one and even later that he wanted a cake but we got it done with 10 minutes to spare. First chance to 'light up' his truck!:D

Attached Files:

26. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

HAPPY BELATED B-DAY COURT!!! these kids kick ass and so does dan!!

27. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I'm glad I could help. That project looks great. It's good to see parents and kids havin fun and learning together. your buildin some good memories for both of ya.

P.S. love you sig. Tell Bessie we said hi.

28. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Bessie was happy to hear from you.

Update: Steering column sorta in with swing pedals and master cyl installed. Changed the bell housing on the T5 as well. Hope to get it all together in the next few days and ready to swing into place. I'd like to see the motor/trans at least sitting in the frame by this time next weekend.

Court was busting ass today. He made me proud. The look on his face when he could sit in the SEAT and steer his own truck is priceless!

29. Clark

Clark

Great post!!! Tell Court to keep up the hard work he'll be driving it before too long.
    Clark

30. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks, Clark. You've put Autorama 2008 in his head! Last night he was sitting in the seat and banging gears. Too bad the trans is sitting behind the truck and the motor is in our garage 3 miles away!

More updates to come next weekend.