Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Tires

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by ThingyM, Feb 26, 2007.

1. ThingyM

ThingyM

Last Saturday I went to see my tire dealer. I told him I needed a couple of G78X15s bias ply tires..$128 ea.. He said that I could get a later version of the Bias ply at 1/2 the cost. And it would be the 6" wide tread as needed.. So my question is,, Is the later version acceptable???? No its not a radial,,,,,,,,,,

2. I'm no expert but I would say according to rule 20, you would be aokeedokee.

20. Cars must have rims no wider than 6″ and only bias ply street treaded tires allowed. No radials, slicks, or cheater slicks allowed. Tire tread width must measure no more than 6″.

3. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Go for it Thingy,they would pass my tech.:)

4. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

rule 20 works for me wonder what the difference is that would make them 1/2 cost mudflap261 one of the Hornets

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

It's the wide white vs. thin white wall, supply and demand thing. I think most racers back then would have run black walls.

I'd like it if we all agreed to run a 6" wide pie crust slick. The ones they're capping now are a highway compound. Not very sticky, but they'ed really set off the look.

6. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I am kinda surprized someone hasnt recapped a couple old skins with some Atlas butron or plyron. They were the ultimate once upon a time??:confused:

7. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

8. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

From a safety standpoint I think we should be allowed to run a radial
    tire that has a speed rating equal to, or higher, than the actual speed we will be running. Nostalgia is fine but I don't think we should endanger the drivers, crew and spectators just to look exactly "right". I for one don't relish the thought of blowing a tire that was designed decades ago when I'm doing 100+ MPH.

Ron

Ron

9. Godzilla

Godzilla

Some things on this deal make perfect sense to me...they help preserve the spirit of the bug. If the tire rule said that all rear tires had to be wide whites I would understand the rule is helping to preserve the nostalgic look...but the rule does not state that the tires have to be wide whites...so why bias ply???

Like everyone else I have an opinion on the issue of rear tire...if it is not contributing to the "spirit" why not leave it up to the driver to decide which 6" wide treaded tire he will run. I don't think anyone connected to the rules for this deal has any stock in the company that is making these tires...so why not just provide guidance on the tread size and leave the decision of bias versus radial up the the person who sits in the car? Your turn........................

10. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Real simple, radials were not around when these cars were running.
    The four cars that are running have had no problems with bias plies and therefore, to keep it in the "spirit of the bug", bias ply tires.
    What is to keep a radial from blowing running down the track?
    I know plenty of people running bias plies on cars that they drive daily and they have no more problems with them than I do with radials on my daily. In fact they do not have a problem with broken belts that you can not "see". That is my whole problem with radials, they can look good and still be bad on the inside.
    Next.

11. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I agree with REJ I just cant see where the bias ply tires could be dangerous at our speeds. Now,when we start running in the 140mph range ask me again.:D We all know the tires is whats going to keep this class in check from the high horsepower and big dollars.

12. ThingyM

ThingyM

Thanks Guys. I'm going to get the later version then. He told me that the reason the "G" series was so expensive is that the classic people want the style that was on the car originally.And the Mfgrs. are making a killing on this alone..It might not be a full half price, But somewhere there abouts.. I too want blackwalls..

13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I like many of the others see no problem with the "bias" tire rule.
    It provides a certain look to the car , stays withing the spirit of the bug and really doesnt offer any safety concern to any of us.

I have a couple of hot rods and all of them use (and have used ) bias ply tires for years. ( and we have driven them faster than the record 107 mph:) )

The 6 inch rule limits the speed and hook up of these cars and i am looking forward to learning how to deal with the traction issue.

14. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

GMC bubba, I'm looking forward to watching you deal with the traction issues:D .
    I followed your build on here and was wondering the whole time how you were going to deal with it. I just got mine on the road last weekend, one hole shot with the 5" wide tires I have on it now and it spun them pretty hard. Stock 225 with two two's and headers.
    For the guys who are really "building an engine", and I'm talking polished this and that, aluminum rods, balancing everything, to make as much power as you can, good luck!
    I have a few issues to deal with on mine and hopefully in a month or two, we head to the track to see what happens there.
    OH, I'm not knocking any of you guys building big horsepower motors, but it will be fun trying to get them to hook up!:D

15. 9 of 11 cars we have here in oz are running the L78x15. Using our HAMB alliance, plus we ordered bulk helped save some $$. We know these tyres work, are consitant, and within our speed limit capabilities. Admitantly we're not running 11's or low 12's, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

16. flatfooted

flatfooted

140 MPH ???? MR MAC hell of a statement. Does whitey know you stole one of his bullets ??.You know ,the ones that burn that yellow exhaust Are 223 is gonna need more carbs . Better go git a nuther 30 pack pack and ponder that one

17. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Godzilla,
    I guess you and I can quit worrying about where we can hide our nitrous system's and just run with the rest of the guys at 100 MPH.
    By the way, do they have speed ratings on bias ply tires? Seriously, did they ever rate them?

Sorry guys, didn't mean to stir up shit...just thinking out loud and worrying about my wrinkled old neck.

Ron

18. Godzilla

Godzilla

M
    81 mph
    N
    87 mph
    P
    93 mph
    Q
    99 mph
    R
    106 mph
    S
    112 mph
    T
    118 mph
    U
    124 mph
    H
    130 mph
    V
    149 mph
    Ron,
    Here are modern day tire speed ratings. These are the maximum speeds...from there on you enter the twilight zone.

I checked my tires on the Coker site...should be good to 112 mph...so plenty safe racing them on an 1/8th mile....or doing a good hard burnout.

OK Ron, we better go over our check list for the "spirit thing" again...no roll bar(check)...leather helmet(check)...single seat belt(check)...no fire retardant clothing(check)...no skin to keep the driver in the car(check)...no driveshaft loop(check)...no safety cliped rear axles(check)...bias ply tires (check). Wait a minute....for safety sake we better re-think everything but the last one...bias ply tires...you know we will them to keep our cars looking period perfect.

19. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Ron,
    To be "BUG" perfect I can fire up my gas powered hacksaw and remove all the extra metal parts you mentioned. I certainly don't want to look out of place with all those safety parts spoiling the 1950's open air look. I do think I should be able to wear the 1933
    leather football helment and the new white silk scarf for around my neck though. Hell, Clark Gable would be envious.

But, you can be damn sure I'll have Coker bias ply tires.

LOL...I think I'll buy you a beer when we meet.

Ron

20. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Ron,
    Coker speed rating is 112 MPH???

That means I'll have to get out of the throttle at the 827 foot mark. Maybe I can just disconnect a couple of plug wires and run it the full quarter mile.

Ron

21. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Isn't the speed rating pretaining to constant speed (heat build up), I don't see running at its rated limit for the few seconds you are at top speed is any hazard.
    Keep the rules as they are and build accordingly.
    my .02,
    2b-banjo

22. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

For what it's worth, my dad worked his whole life as a "front end mechanic." He has told me over and over that when radial tires started to get popular, they had many problems that made them unsafe at high speeds. If I recall correctly, tread separation was the most frequent problem they were seeing. He thought the only thing that kept them on the market was the 55mph speed limit. Of course, they have the bugs worked out now, but at speed, they are still no safer than bias ply tires.

Most drag racing tires used today are bias ply.

23. bob hindman

bob hindman

the COKERS are good way past 112mph. ask any body that was at TEXXXXAS last year........

BOB ONE OF THE HORNETS....

24. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Yeah! Ask Gary Meadors he will tell you how proud he was of Hineys tires.:D :D

25. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I've had my Coker pie crusters and Silvertowns to 138 for several miles at a time lots of times.But not many ever said I was smart.LOL

26. Godzilla

Godzilla

I am not sure that NASCAR and the TX motorplex is ready for 40 of these cars coming out of turn four looking for a green flag...but count me in. Sounds like a hoot.

It would be interesting to see how much difference running a set of 6" wide radials would make on "real world" performance. It is just a guess but I would be surprised if much.

What using a radial tire would do is lower the cost of the tires...make it easier to find and purchase tires...and provide the opportunity of having a taller or shorter tire instead of changing gears.

Someone please run a tire test.........................................

27. bwiencek

bwiencek

Anyone ever consider most drag slicks have been "bias ply" for quite a long time - heck I can go down to the race shop and pick up a set of bias ply drag slicks right now... Plus I wouldn't hesitate to run them well into the 150+ MPH range - of course they're built specificaly for racing, but still it's just proving bias plys aren't inherently bad! The radials are a pretty recent addition to the drag racing market.

Bias ply tends to wrinkle and conform better on launch - that's why it's been used for so long and work so well. Personally I believe that a modern radial tire will actually slow them down on the launch - unless you're going to try and find someone to make a real 'drag radial' that narrow...

28. Maybe you should try a set and let us know of your results?

29. Godzilla

Godzilla

When my car is finished I will be able to tell you how much difference a set of wrinkle wall slicks make. I will be running wrinkle wall slicks when I bracket race my car...in between events where I HAVE to run 6" bias ply tires.

It is not that I think that we should run radial tires...I think it should be the drivers choice as to the type of tire he runs...given only the width and tread pattern as guidlines. I have a new set of bias ply tires on my car now and will run them.

By the by: Speed ratings are maximum (terminal) speeds...not sustained.