Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hamb shop visit--- 2muchstuff in Kansas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, Jan 9, 2011.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I thought I would start sharing some of my photos and stories from my visits around the Midwest. At least a couple times a month I take off and go on an adventure to buy engines and bring them home. Sometimes this is just a stranger from Craigslist and sometimes it is an old or new friend from the Hamb. I will kick this series off by starting with Chris (2muchstuff) in Kansas. He is a real nice guy with a great collection. You might even call him a hoarder. He and his lovely wife live in an old stone farm house with a wrap around porch on a hill overlooking a creek and pasture. There are old barns, sheds, silos, and etc. This farm was homesteaded by his great grandparents and has never been owned by anyone outside their family. Here is the farmer himself who is "outstanding in his field"---:)[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I was at his place to inspect this Merc coupe that Chris had been trying to sell in the Hamb classifieds because my pal Bobwop in Wisconsin had asked me to look it over for him. [​IMG]

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

While Chris was talking to another would be Merc buyer I looked around and took a few photos and saw lots of flatheads, early Ford wheels, 32 Ford and Model A parts and although these parts weren't for sale it was fun to see.[​IMG]

4. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas
    from Gypsum, KS

Wow, she is a beaut!

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

7. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

This giant touring car is a 1922 Marmon aluminum bodied classic.[​IMG]

8. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

12. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I had a great time even though I wasn't there for very long and Bob liked the car's description based on what he heard from me and Chris and purchased it and the 41 Ford farm pickup too. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Looks like fun, thanks for sharing. I love the Merc, and all the rest also.

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I enjoy taking these kind of excursions. Each one is an adventure in itself. Sometimes leaving my home at 3 am on a Saturday morning and arriving at my destination when the person is ready to start their day. Then after buying and loading the engine (or whatever) I have the rest of the day to spend and sometimes take the back roads home. I will never get tired of the American Midwest. No glitz and glory....just good old Americana---where something interesting is always waiting---right around the next curve in the road.

15. triumphtony

triumphtony

Thanks for the story and pics. That is one cool collection.

16. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

you have the LIFE

17. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

So cool, keep up with the travels. Good luck!

18. Wow! Good stuff! I met Chris a couple of months ago on a hot rod tour. That blue coupe of his is outstanding. I had no idea he had all that other bitchin' stuff though. That model 40 is the business. I predict a full PM box in his future...

19. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I bought my coupe from Chris. It was a sight unseen deal with only his description and pics. I was slightly hesitating 'til I spoke to Ben D. He said Chris is absolutely honest and fair. That sealed it. I bought the car and it was exactly what Chris said it was. Great guys like Chris deserve to get some ink so thanks for posting this PovertyFlats!

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Salt of the earth - no joke.

21. Mark Karger

Mark Karger
    from houston TX

I have been up to Cris's twice. It is an amazing collection.He is a great guy to do business with, VERY honest & patient. the treasures he drags home are in great shape compared to the rust of the Gulf Coast swamps.

22. yblock292

yblock292

nice deal, it is amazing the amount of stuff "stashed" away around here, see ya at starbirds

23. Very cool for sure. I'd say Chris "Has Too-Much Stuff" >>>>.

24. bobwop

bobwop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris is a great fellow and it was a treat for me to learn about the history of his farm and just to drive the scenic route to his place in the middle of no where.

His descriptions were spot-on accurate. Having PF stop by was great, as the 41 Ford pickup also became part of the deal. Chris is a good man. I hope to deal with him again.

Chris has "too much stuff". Most of his cars are projects that need some completion or are real close to being capable drivers. Both vehicles I bought needed some attention to detail and some TLC (ever heard that line before?) and he informed of that. He was perfectly accurate with his descriptions.

There is a lesson in all this...buy good stuff from a honest man like Chris, put some elbow grease and sweat equity into it and you can have something special.

The 1941 Ford truck was very solid and a bit of a project that needed some work, but with some elbow grease, sweat equity and a some $$$$ it became a nice daily driver truck.

I would recommend Chris as a great source of nice vehicles.

Yup, ol' PF has the life. Gets to drive around all over Kansas hunting for cars, discovering great spots, meeting wonderful folks, purchasing vintage engine and doing good deeds...and get paid for it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  25. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

26. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

27. i will take the louvered coupe, thought that was good till i got to the blue coupe, like that one too to go:rolleyes:

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats an awesome collection , thanks for sharing the photos , does the marmon have the v16 engine in it ?

29. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

No it was a big 8 cylinder.

30. When I grow up I want to be just like you Paul. Sleep deprovated and havin the time of my life!!!