Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features HAMB Shoebox Club

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped50Ford, Dec 3, 2006.

1. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Beautiful!

2. Does your hood close with that radiator in place? Seems a little tall, but maybe its just the contrast.

3. TheCreeper

TheCreeper
    from Louisiana

LOL. Looks like you've looked deep into my soul and determined my greatest fear :D

I am worried about that. This car was a gift from me to my father-in-law years ago. He passed early in 2012 after he bought most of the parts and put the rolling chassis together. After I slapped the grill together this past weekend I started getting a little worried, but I'll be good either way because he also bought a direct replacement radiator that's sitting in the corner of the shop. I guess I should break out the tape measure and make sure before I put some dents in the hood

4. tedster

tedster

The air deflector seals to the underside of the hood so no way the hood can close with that radiator in there.

5. TheCreeper

TheCreeper
    from Louisiana

Thanks for the clarification on that, tedster. The deflector was what had me worried, but, as I said, I'll be good. I've got one sitting in the corner that looks brand new (wonder if that alum radiator would fit my '48 F1 - hmmm...)

6. tedster

tedster

No problem, looks like a really nice car.

7. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

My 51 convertible. Took it down to the bare frame and started over. 8BA, Merc crank, 5 speed, 8+ years it's taken me.

8. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

And now the photo!

Attached Files:

9. nuthead

nuthead
    from Alpine,CA

My 50 Shoebox

Attached Files:

10. big creep

big creep

this looks great!!!!

11. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Have you got any larger pics, and maybe one from the side? I'm digging the 2-tone, and I'd like to see more detail!

12. nuthead

nuthead
    from Alpine,CA

Heres somemore with a side shot. Just did roof 6 months ago,

Attached Files:

MO_JUNK and dwollam like this.
  13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Heres a picture taken as I began to install the Mustang gas tank sideways so the spare tire well will remain. Theres no need for a heavy square tubing frame. The tank has lots of holes to bolt it to the sheetmetal floor. The tank was $80 plus $13 shipping and has the gas gauge sending unit already installed when you get it

Attached Files:

dwollam likes this.
  14. jerseymike

jerseymike

no square tubing frame? your trusting that rusty sheetmetal to hold your gas tank in place? nothing like quality work. good luck with the rest of your rat rod build!

15. If you look at any mustang or torino or any other car that had that system they all had a reinforced perimeter for the tank. Man, go buy some angle iron or square tubing. Doesn't take long to make.

Attached Files:

16. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

I'm really diggin' the style of this shoe

17. Bones40

Bones40
    from Arkansas

Looks like its letting me upload some pics.

Attached Files:

18. Bones40

Bones40
    from Arkansas

Pic 2

Attached Files:

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

Who is dumb enough to leave rusty metal!? The original gas tank was supported by 4 bolts thru the sheet metal floor. This way the load is spread all around the tank at every bolt.

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

hey Tedley, I sure like your car! I am using 1/8 thick flat strap all around the hole with all boltholes tapped for threads. I think 1/8" is way over kill but there sure wont be any problems with it!

21. Trickster

Trickster

im also using a mustang tank but have no boot floor at the moment so il have to deal with that first. have been toying with the idea of mounting the fuel tank in the chassis so its under the floor. having said that if its mounted in the floor thats alot less floor i have to fabricate so thats lookn good. have any of you guys seen a shoe box with the tank mounted in the chassis or under the floor.

22. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I joined today. The car needs a few things buttoned up, very minimal work for paint.

Has new crate 350. Chopped about 5", Gambino rear setup. Needs bags up front

Attached Files:

MO_JUNK likes this.
  23. manyolcars

manyolcars

woohoo! Looks great! What are you going to put in the grille opening? That is a hardest decision for me. My best friend and I bought a 50 Ford that was customised in Missouri in the late 50s or early 60s and it had nothing in the grille area. We paid $57 for it in 1967 and drove it home. I still have it too.
    We bought the car from a very beautiful 'older' blonde-haired lady. Thinking back on it she was probably about 25 years old. Hey, we were 17!

MO_JUNK likes this.
  24. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Hey nuthead where did you get those skirts? i like that they dont have the ribs on them

25. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Nice, thanks!

26. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Ive got a few ideas. I found some ooold basket weave steel mesh in usable shape on my buddies property. I think I am going to use it, with a CalCustoms Single bar... I want to keep it simple. Im working on some 49 Plymouth Bumpers as well.

27. Pinchecharlie

Pinchecharlie
    from Montana

Here's my someday to be 49

Attached Files:

28. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

How did you park it on the ceiling? ;)

29. EBW

EBW

It's that clean Montana Air..... :cool:

30. daddio211

daddio211

They look like Foxcraft skirts to me. There are a few sets for sale on here.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app